Bluespark Tuning Box

Bluespark Automotive provide plug and play performance tuning solutions for Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel vehicles. We cover most BMW models and get great results from them. We are a UK company based just south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, where you are always welcome to call in for a chat.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, eddbluespark

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by louisjack23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

Alan120d wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm
sgb27 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm
Given the apparent risk of getting codes thrown, is there any advantage of this over the JB+?
From the looks of things the potential advantage is JB4 type performance for less than JB+ money. Those that have had issues, have you contacted Bluespark about them? and more importantly have you been getting them sorted? The biggest question in my opinion is if there is decent support behind it? Teething issues are probably to be expected on some cars but how they are dealt with (or not) means most in my book.
To answer this, their customer support is top notch. Never known them to do anything other than help solve any problems in a quick manner.

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 am

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by barneym140i » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 am

so do we know the outcome to the 2 x EML cases? were they just rogue boxes or did they have software issues to fix? be good to see the feedback on this as their customer service so far does indeed seem to be both quick and helpful.

MikeyBacon
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by MikeyBacon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 pm

This was the email sent back to me from Edd about the EML light issue I had. At no point did the car ever go into limp mode. Only fault code I had was to do with the ambient pressure sensor being too high after run.


Hi Michael,

Your box is due to go back out today, we have had a couple of people have had the same issue as you and have made a firmware update which has resolved the issue.

Without going into too much detail, it seems that a small proportion of MX40i's report atmospheric pressure values very slightly higher than others when at exactly the same elevation. This will just be due to natural variation form car to car. This isn't ordinarily a problem, but it causes a slight issue for our boxes.

The firmware update will be rolling out onto all of our new devices and should resolve this teething issue. It only seems to affect about 5% of MX40i's, but I appreciate that is probably of little consolation when your car is one of that 5%.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for bearing with us while we sort it.

Best Regards,
Edd
2017 F21 Valencia Orange 3 door M140i :D

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 am

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by barneym140i » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

cant argue with that, and if it addresses the issue then to be quite honest that's brilliant service, products can and do have issues, If they are sorted in a timely manner and actually sorted then its a bloody good representation of the company selling or making them, keep us posted on it and if its fixed!

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2729
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Kerr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm

louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
James T, glad you're liking it. Felt for a while I could be flogging a dead horse on people but it's good that more people are jumping on board as it's an awesome tuning box.

I've already quoted a few performance figures that show the improvement but just had a play with an M4 CP on the way into work, driving down a lovely twisty road and I could have passed him at any point (That's down to the driver as the m240i is just not as capable). However the road opens onto a mile long stretch of straight road where I presume he thought payback! Not the case, sat on his bumper the whole time up to proper naughty speeds

Lets just say he was gutted, wouldn't even acknowledge as I passed him when we went separate ways. :D
Some massive claims for this tuning box. I see you're using an app for times. If you aren't going to use a dyno to test the power, how about a day at Crail to set some times?

There's a couple of guys on here with fast Mx35is that pop down to Crail regularly. It'd give you some comparisons against JB4 Mx35i cars if you could tempt them to go along. If not there is plenty of previous times set for comparison.

The fastest Mx40is are still a bit off the M4. I would be very surprised if you got into the 11s@120mph with just a box on a Mx40i. I've not seen a tuned M140i manage over 117mph yet and that's a fair bit more that just a tuning box.

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by louisjack23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm
louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
James T, glad you're liking it. Felt for a while I could be flogging a dead horse on people but it's good that more people are jumping on board as it's an awesome tuning box.

I've already quoted a few performance figures that show the improvement but just had a play with an M4 CP on the way into work, driving down a lovely twisty road and I could have passed him at any point (That's down to the driver as the m240i is just not as capable). However the road opens onto a mile long stretch of straight road where I presume he thought payback! Not the case, sat on his bumper the whole time up to proper naughty speeds

Lets just say he was gutted, wouldn't even acknowledge as I passed him when we went separate ways. :D
Some massive claims for this tuning box. I see you're using an app for times. If you aren't going to use a dyno to test the power, how about a day at Crail to set some times?

There's a couple of guys on here with fast Mx35is that pop down to Crail regularly. It'd give you some comparisons against JB4 Mx35i cars if you could tempt them to go along. If not there is plenty of previous times set for comparison.

The fastest Mx40is are still a bit off the M4. I would be very surprised if you got into the 11s@120mph with just a box on a Mx40i. I've not seen a tuned M140i manage over 117mph yet and that's a fair bit more that just a tuning box.
I think it's traction on the 1/4 mile that's the problem against an M4 hence why rolling on the road they have much better shot. I would like to get down to Crail at some point I just can't find the time at the moment.

I will get down at some point and I will also get a rolling road sorted at some point. I just can't do either just now haha

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2729
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Kerr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm

louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm
Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm
louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
James T, glad you're liking it. Felt for a while I could be flogging a dead horse on people but it's good that more people are jumping on board as it's an awesome tuning box.

I've already quoted a few performance figures that show the improvement but just had a play with an M4 CP on the way into work, driving down a lovely twisty road and I could have passed him at any point (That's down to the driver as the m240i is just not as capable). However the road opens onto a mile long stretch of straight road where I presume he thought payback! Not the case, sat on his bumper the whole time up to proper naughty speeds

Lets just say he was gutted, wouldn't even acknowledge as I passed him when we went separate ways. :D
Some massive claims for this tuning box. I see you're using an app for times. If you aren't going to use a dyno to test the power, how about a day at Crail to set some times?

There's a couple of guys on here with fast Mx35is that pop down to Crail regularly. It'd give you some comparisons against JB4 Mx35i cars if you could tempt them to go along. If not there is plenty of previous times set for comparison.

The fastest Mx40is are still a bit off the M4. I would be very surprised if you got into the 11s@120mph with just a box on a Mx40i. I've not seen a tuned M140i manage over 117mph yet and that's a fair bit more that just a tuning box.
I think it's traction on the 1/4 mile that's the problem against an M4 hence why rolling on the road they have much better shot. I would like to get down to Crail at some point I just can't find the time at the moment.

I will get down at some point and I will also get a rolling road sorted at some point. I just can't do either just now haha
The M4 struggles off the line. The terminal speeds will also help gauge power and improvement over a stock Mx40i and also be able to compare directly to JB4 cars.

I'd be surprised if the box put you any better than halfway between a stock Mx40i(112mph) and the M4 at 120mph.

The M4 is faster than people think even with stock power prior to the Competition Pack.

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by louisjack23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm
louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm
Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Some massive claims for this tuning box. I see you're using an app for times. If you aren't going to use a dyno to test the power, how about a day at Crail to set some times?

There's a couple of guys on here with fast Mx35is that pop down to Crail regularly. It'd give you some comparisons against JB4 Mx35i cars if you could tempt them to go along. If not there is plenty of previous times set for comparison.

The fastest Mx40is are still a bit off the M4. I would be very surprised if you got into the 11s@120mph with just a box on a Mx40i. I've not seen a tuned M140i manage over 117mph yet and that's a fair bit more that just a tuning box.
I think it's traction on the 1/4 mile that's the problem against an M4 hence why rolling on the road they have much better shot. I would like to get down to Crail at some point I just can't find the time at the moment.

I will get down at some point and I will also get a rolling road sorted at some point. I just can't do either just now haha
The M4 struggles off the line. The terminal speeds will also help gauge power and improvement over a stock Mx40i and also be able to compare directly to JB4 cars.

I'd be surprised if the box put you any better than halfway between a stock Mx40i(112mph) and the M4 at 120mph.

The M4 is faster than people think even with stock power prior to the Competition Pack.
After looking at the events coming up I can't see me making either of them, do 60-120mph figures etc not satisfy enough to know the difference between the box, stock and m4 or any other car for that matter?

Obviously a dyno or 1/4 mile run would be lovely but in the meantime those times do show a marked improvement

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2729
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Kerr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm
louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm


I think it's traction on the 1/4 mile that's the problem against an M4 hence why rolling on the road they have much better shot. I would like to get down to Crail at some point I just can't find the time at the moment.

I will get down at some point and I will also get a rolling road sorted at some point. I just can't do either just now haha
The M4 struggles off the line. The terminal speeds will also help gauge power and improvement over a stock Mx40i and also be able to compare directly to JB4 cars.

I'd be surprised if the box put you any better than halfway between a stock Mx40i(112mph) and the M4 at 120mph.

The M4 is faster than people think even with stock power prior to the Competition Pack.
After looking at the events coming up I can't see me making either of them, do 60-120mph figures etc not satisfy enough to know the difference between the box, stock and m4 or any other car for that matter?

Obviously a dyno or 1/4 mile run would be lovely but in the meantime those times do show a marked improvement

Using apps isn't accurate at all. Also without someone else running the same app, on the same road in the same conditions will give huge variance and not allow for comparison.

I'm sure some of the guys that have a VBOX must run their cars down the face of a cliff to get the times they set. :lol:

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by louisjack23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm
louisjack23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
Kerr wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm


The M4 struggles off the line. The terminal speeds will also help gauge power and improvement over a stock Mx40i and also be able to compare directly to JB4 cars.

I'd be surprised if the box put you any better than halfway between a stock Mx40i(112mph) and the M4 at 120mph.

The M4 is faster than people think even with stock power prior to the Competition Pack.
After looking at the events coming up I can't see me making either of them, do 60-120mph figures etc not satisfy enough to know the difference between the box, stock and m4 or any other car for that matter?

Obviously a dyno or 1/4 mile run would be lovely but in the meantime those times do show a marked improvement

Using apps isn't accurate at all. Also without someone else running the same app, on the same road in the same conditions will give huge variance and not allow for comparison.

I'm sure some of the guys that have a VBOX must run their cars down the face of a cliff to get the times they set. :lol:
I both disagree and agree with you to a point. I know that I've tested my car standard and tuned on the same piece of Level (to the eye) road. 60-120mph stock was 10.4 and with the Bluespark it ran 8.8

Now even give or take a tenth or two if you like to allow for discrepancies in timing this is still a very noticeable improvement.

I've seen an M140i which running JB4 and meth etc break into the 7 second mark and he also claimed stock was 10.5-10.6 seconds tested on VBox so the times are pretty accurate.

mark261288
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by mark261288 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am

Just ordered one of these going off the reviews on this post. 👍 hope it lives up to expectation. So realistically on a standard m140i it should be about 385-390? Anyone had a dyno run yet?

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by louisjack23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 am

mark261288 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am
Just ordered one of these going off the reviews on this post. 👍 hope it lives up to expectation. So realistically on a standard m140i it should be about 385-390? Anyone had a dyno run yet?
Haven't seen a dyno as yet. I'm pretty sure you'll love it however, I still get surprised by it at times!

Rhysmcgill
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Rhysmcgill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am

mark261288 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am
Just ordered one of these going off the reviews on this post. 👍 hope it lives up to expectation. So realistically on a standard m140i it should be about 385-390? Anyone had a dyno run yet?
You will 101% love the gains your going to get and value for money. I cant fault mine im up to setting 5 now and wow! Its defo around the 390-400hp mark.
VO M140i auto owner :lol:

R2_1OOK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by R2_1OOK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Sorry not reported my updates been very busy lately and not been on here for a week

I have spoken to them and they have confirmed there is a firmware update for the box to account for the EML light showing on a few 140s

I work at bmw so have sent them the proper error code printout from ISTA for them to analyse aswell

Ive posted the box back to them for the update which is of course free

There customer service is second to none and me bieng a fussy f***er that says alot lol

I can also confirm the box Is untraceable as my cars currently in service for warrenty issues and they have noted that my engine light has been on at some point and said they have looked through all the datalogs etc and everything seems normal so have just cleared the code and its stayed off!

Performance centre will say the box is similar to a jb+ as they are official BMS dealers and cant be seen to be promoting other products over BMS products

But i can confirm from first hand experience that it is alot more sophisticated than a jb+ and is a hell of alot quicker and puts the power down alot better than a jb+ Does
17' m140i 5dr auto, melbourne red, coral red leather, gloss black trim, pro nav, HK, adaptive suspension, privacy glass, folding mirrors, rear arm rest

'91 e30 325i tech2, sterling silver, 2.7 manual, Lsd, fully restored

Rhysmcgill
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Rhysmcgill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:08 pm

R2_1OOK wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm
Sorry not reported my updates been very busy lately and not been on here for a week

I have spoken to them and they have confirmed there is a firmware update for the box to account for the EML light showing on a few 140s

I work at bmw so have sent them the proper error code printout from ISTA for them to analyse aswell

Ive posted the box back to them for the update which is of course free

There customer service is second to none and me bieng a fussy f***er that says alot lol

I can also confirm the box Is untraceable as my cars currently in service for warrenty issues and they have noted that my engine light has been on at some point and said they have looked through all the datalogs etc and everything seems normal so have just cleared the code and its stayed off!

Performance centre will say the box is similar to a jb+ as they are official BMS dealers and cant be seen to be promoting other products over BMS products

But i can confirm from first hand experience that it is alot more sophisticated than a jb+ and is a hell of alot quicker and puts the power down alot better than a jb+ Does
Does that mean uv got the box back on and its working again? Also when bmw checked for codes had you actually run the box on the car previous to that or just plus it on and then it threw a light up and you took it off?
VO M140i auto owner :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “Bluespark Automotive”