Bluespark Tuning Box

Bluespark Automotive provide plug and play performance tuning solutions for Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel vehicles. We cover most BMW models and get great results from them. We are a UK company based just south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, where you are always welcome to call in for a chat.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, eddbluespark

eddbluespark

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by eddbluespark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 pm

BimRSV4 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 pm
Hi Edd

I have noticed that a lot of the info on this thread relates the the X40i - What sort of gains are expected from the x35i N55?
I live fairly local to yourselves (Birtley) and would be interested in calling in to have a chat and maybe buying one.
Hi there,
What year is your x35i? and is it stock or do you have any mods fitted? If you are in the area Im sure we could arrange some dyno time if you would be interested in getting the best results possible.
Best Regards,
Edd

BimRSV4

Post by BimRSV4 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Edd

Its a 2015 M235i - completely standard.

eddbluespark

Post by eddbluespark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:23 pm

BimRSV4 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 am
Hi Edd

Its a 2015 M235i - completely standard.
Please give us a ring mate and we can arrange something. Our number is 0191 385 9005.
Best regards,
Edd

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Tried to fit the bluespark today. Disconnected the battery box is lit up reconnected the battery and the car refuses to start. Unplugged bluespark again put car back to standard car still won't start. Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto, Mineral White, Coral Red Leather, Full Performance Kit & LSD

Penfold
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Penfold » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Tooney wrote:Tried to fit the bluespark today. Disconnected the battery box is lit up reconnected the battery and the car refuses to start. Unplugged bluespark again put car back to standard car still won't start. Any ideas

You don’t need to disconnect the battery. Follow the instructions provided and it takes 10 minutes.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 pm

That's of no use now the car won't start. You disconnect if fitting jb+ if you wish.

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Disconnecting the battery should not cause the problem of not starting when reconnected.. I disconnected mine when installing both my JB4 and when I did my M3 paddles on separate occasions.

Did you make sure the disconnected terminal was isolated so it couldn't touch the terminal by accident?

I wonder if something shorted out when you reconnected the battery.. Perhaps look through the fuse box if anything obvious.

Have you also checked the connectors if any pins perhaps have got bent or damaged during to disconnection and reconnection of the map and tap sensors?

Failing that I would just call out BMW assist after putting back to std.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm

sootyvrs wrote:Disconnecting the battery should not cause the problem of not starting when reconnected.. I disconnected mine when installing both my JB4 and when I did my M3 paddles on separate occasions.

Did you make sure the disconnected terminal was isolated so it couldn't touch the terminal by accident?

I wonder if something shorted out when you reconnected the battery.. Perhaps look through the fuse box if anything obvious.

Have you also checked the connectors if any pins perhaps have got bent or damaged during to disconnection and reconnection of the map and tap sensors?

Failing that I would just call out BMW assist after putting back to std.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Yes I've checked pins etc thanks, I've had to call out BMW assist unfortunately.

Penfold
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Penfold » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Tooney wrote:That's of no use now the car won't start. You disconnect if fitting jb+ if you wish.

But this isn’t a JB+ and if you follow the instructions there isn’t any reason for there to be an issue.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Tooney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Disconnecting the battery isn't the issue the rest of the instruction were followed. We have installed jb4 jb+ boxes prior it's the same principle. I'm not arguing with you over it.

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am

I should point out I'm not saying bluespark has caused this issue. I was just asking if anyone else had a similar issue at all. The car has been recovered. I will update you when the cause has been found.

MikeH1163

Post by MikeH1163 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:37 pm

First post on here, after watching this thread for a while i ordered and installed the blue spark tuning box on my M140i, this was a couple of days ago now and I can definitely feel the difference, 3rd gear pull is where it’s really noticeable in my opinion and that’s just on the default setting C, haven’t tested any of the others out yet.
However I have noticed on a couple of occasions now that when changing up into 3rd from 2nd (manual car) If you rev 2nd out fairly high the revs go dead as soon as you get into 3rd as thou tc is kicking in but this is whilst in sport + and it hangs for too long for that to be the cause, the revs just don’t want to go any higher. Its making all the right noises but its as thou the engines is on a very soft limiter like 1/2 of the power it would usually give at them revs if I had rolled it on in 3rd, you almost have to back out of the throttle and start again, feels like what I imagine a boost leak would feel like but surely not? I could be way off the mark but to me it’s as thou the car believes it’s at full boost after the up shift and it’s actually not until like I said you let off and start again.
Only other bits I have done are a K&N drop in filter and BSC midpipe so wouldn’t expect them to effect anything. Would be good to know if anyone had any ideas as to what the cause maybe or if anyone has experience anything similar in a manual with the bluespark?

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello mate. Mines a manual and I’d been intending to post an update on the box but frankly between the awful weather and my awful shifts I’ve barely had the opportunity to take the car for a proper run since fitment a couple of weeks ago. Also, in the interim edd has posted and addressed my questions since then. As it happens, I went On a run to Wales today, lovely conditions. The car has no hesitations at any point. It’s simply relentless. Compared with stock it seems to me that the previously early torque ‘ceiling’ has gone and it’s as though the extra horsepower is all at the top of the Rev range. I did a 1st, 2nd, 3rd run earlier concentrating mainly on maintaining traction (didn’t max 3rd) in sport+ and it was outright epic.

I spoke with Edd for a good 10 mins or so the day after I posted my graph. I’d recommend that you or anyone with any questions simply get in touch. He couldn’t be nicer or to my mind more knowledgeable. The bonnet hasn’t been up on my car since installation and I’m still uncertain as to whether it’s set on 3 or 5. I suspect 5 but I’ll find out at a later date. Finally, it doesn’t seem to overwhelm the TC too much and doesn’t seem to have become suddenly unmanageable. Hope you get it sorted and I still haven’t done many miles with mine so I’ll post anything I notice, cheers

BimRSV4

Post by BimRSV4 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 am

Ok so I called in to speak with Edd last week as hes local to me and I had a few questions regarding the bluespark. I had a good chat and he's a knowledgeable bloke. We fitted the box and he came out in the car while we had a few runs to try it out. Started on map B (or 2 if you will) oand you can definitely feel the car pick up a lot quicker, especially at low revs, it feels a lot more gruntier. We then ran Map C and again, felt a slight improvement over map B. Edd didnt want to run map D until he is happy that the AF is correct so the car is being dyno'd this friday so we should have some data from completely stock vs tuning box at different map settings.
Ill keep you posted

Penfold
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Penfold » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 am

MikeH1163 wrote:First post on here, after watching this thread for a while i ordered and installed the blue spark tuning box on my M140i, this was a couple of days ago now and I can definitely feel the difference, 3rd gear pull is where it’s really noticeable in my opinion and that’s just on the default setting C, haven’t tested any of the others out yet.
However I have noticed on a couple of occasions now that when changing up into 3rd from 2nd (manual car) If you rev 2nd out fairly high the revs go dead as soon as you get into 3rd as thou tc is kicking in but this is whilst in sport + and it hangs for too long for that to be the cause, the revs just don’t want to go any higher. Its making all the right noises but its as thou the engines is on a very soft limiter like 1/2 of the power it would usually give at them revs if I had rolled it on in 3rd, you almost have to back out of the throttle and start again, feels like what I imagine a boost leak would feel like but surely not? I could be way off the mark but to me it’s as thou the car believes it’s at full boost after the up shift and it’s actually not until like I said you let off and start again.
Only other bits I have done are a K&N drop in filter and BSC midpipe so wouldn’t expect them to effect anything. Would be good to know if anyone had any ideas as to what the cause maybe or if anyone has experience anything similar in a manual with the bluespark?
I’ve experienced this two or three times, feels like a complete loss of power for a split second. Running map 5 on an auto box.
I’m a bit concerned about Bluespark not wanting to run the car in map 5 in case of AF issues, will maybe drop mine back to default until we hear some more.

Return to “Bluespark Automotive”