Best Inconspicuous Dashcam?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

220dan

Best Inconspicuous Dashcam?

Post by 220dan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered but I hoped by asking toward the end of the year the most up to date information may be shared. I'm after some advice for the best small, unobtrusive dashcam with g-force monitoring/parking mode?

I currently have a Mobius 2 which functions fairly well as a dashcam. What I liked most was it's tiny size, don't really notice it installed behind my rearview mirror. Coupled with the supercapictor and wiring it in via the outlet under my glove box it's functioned fairly well...

What has been it's undoing however is that my beautiful 220d was hit whilst parked last week. Since the dashcam turns off after locking the car (no power supplied to the power outlets) I have no record of who or what hit my car... and as such my insurers are going to reduce my long earned no-claims discount if I claim.. I have put the claim on hold while I get some quotes. This would be avoided however if I had a dashcam with some sort of force monitoring and I intend now to install a cam in the rear too. (The Mobius does has motion detection, but I can't get this to work after reinstalling the battery it came with).

My ideal is something small and compact comparative with the Mobius 2, I cannot fathom why so many dashcams on the market have hideous displays at the rear? Something inconspicuous which will turn on with any bumps while parked. I am looking at RoadHawk Vision Dash Cam and Goluk T2 but both have very mixed reviews on Amazon. I know BMW offers some dealer-installed options, but these are tad out of budget.

Thank you all :)

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Best Inconspicuous Dashcam?

Post by bjt » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:03 am

Thinkware and Blackvue fit the bill. The Thinkwares have a parking mode that works well in my experience.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Chrome Dome
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chrome Dome » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm

The Auto Vox D6 was my choice, fits up behind the mirror as it doesn't have a screen. All settings and footage reviews are done by an app on your smartphone.
Reasonable quality and features for £70 but what really sold me was the 5volt power requirement, don't need the parking mode on for home or work, so when I do leave it somewhere with the potential for damage I just plug it in to a USB power bank that I keep in the glove box, it's good for about 12 hours.

Upgraded AUTO-VOX WiFi Dash Cam D6 Pro FHD 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with Super Night Vision,G-Sensor,WDR,Loop Recording,300°Rotate Angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZKVD4S/ ... sAbE1RGTNT
F20 M135 in Estoril Blue

F32 428 in Sapphire Black - Gone
Mini JCW in Connault Green - Gone

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm

I've ordered a Goluk T3 as a rear camera. Has parking mode https://youtu.be/vYYQnZcQxwI
M140i, Mineral Grey

220dan

Post by 220dan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 pm

robsaboy, chromedome, and bjt - cheers for your help! Car's just about to be repaired :roll: then I'll work on fitting one of the ones you recommended and post back here. Thank you!

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

The RavPower powerbanks allow charging whilst powering so like a mini ups. They would allow any dash cam to record 24/7.
M140i, Mineral Grey

fxheem
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by fxheem » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Got a DDPai Mini off eBay for mine. Hardly notice it and connects via WiFi tomy phone which makes downloading my drift videos an ease :D best £50 I spent on the car imo
2010 116i LCi E87 - M-Sport - Eibach Pro - 208M - JL Audio - General Hooligan

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 pm

E82 135i DCT N55
E82 123d
E36 320i
E30 318i

330d

Post by 330d » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm

I am also using this one. Cheap and does work well.

_ian
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by _ian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

330d wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm
I am also using this one. Cheap and does work well.
Same here, works well, and is neat / hidden behind mirror - great shape.
Ian

Ktmpedro220
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ktmpedro220 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm

May have a look at the last! Does it come with imprinted speed data?

FirBim
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by FirBim » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Ktmpedro220 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm
May have a look at the last! Does it come with imprinted speed data?
Yes, Viofa A119 will imprint date/time, speed, GPS location and free text (reg number for example). All configurable in settings menu.

I have them in both our cars, they've been fine as 'peace of mind' devices. They automatically power on and off with the ignition, you don't really notice them tucked-away by the rearview mirror. Once in a while I pop the SD card out to look at the recording of some interesting event, and it's a decent image. Probably not the best, and certainly no smartphone apps etc, but reliable and inexpensive.
2010 E87 120d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

webwysard
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by webwysard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Chrome Dome wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm
The Auto Vox D6 was my choice, fits up behind the mirror as it doesn't have a screen. All settings and footage reviews are done by an app on your smartphone.
Reasonable quality and features for £70 but what really sold me was the 5volt power requirement, don't need the parking mode on for home or work, so when I do leave it somewhere with the potential for damage I just plug it in to a USB power bank that I keep in the glove box, it's good for about 12 hours.

Upgraded AUTO-VOX WiFi Dash Cam D6 Pro FHD 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with Super Night Vision,G-Sensor,WDR,Loop Recording,300°Rotate Angle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZKVD4S/ ... sAbE1RGTNT
Hi, The upgraded Auto-vox fits the bill perfectly, just couple of things I'm not sure so please advise,

As the cam has capacitor so it needs to be plugged in all the time to work and as you have mentioned that you plug it in to a power bank if you feel there is a potentianl for damage but looking at the charging cable which is supplied with the cam is not the type which can be pluged into a power bank as it plugs into cars cigarette lighter.

Other thing is the MicroSD card, it says in the instruction that class10 64GB card can be used but as far as I know not all dashcams support over 32GB card unless they're 4K.

Thanks
F46 220I M SPORT
GONE :2015 Pre Lci Alpine white F20 M135i auto.
Previous :Honda Civic coupe, Honda Insight, Seat Leon Cupra R, Toyota Yaris, BMW E91 335i, BMW E87 130i,
BMW E90 325D, BMW E60 520D, BMW E60 520D

Chrome Dome
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chrome Dome » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am

webwysard wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi, The upgraded Auto-vox fits the bill perfectly, just couple of things I'm not sure so please advise,

As the cam has capacitor so it needs to be plugged in all the time to work and as you have mentioned that you plug it in to a power bank if you feel there is a potentianl for damage but looking at the charging cable which is supplied with the cam is not the type which can be pluged into a power bank as it plugs into cars cigarette lighter.

Other thing is the MicroSD card, it says in the instruction that class10 64GB card can be used but as far as I know not all dashcams support over 32GB card unless they're 4K.

Thanks
Glad you like the look of the Auto-box, I've never regretted my purchase.
In response to your questions, it comes with a micro USB ( camera end ) to standard USB 'A' cable that is generous in length, no problem routing across the headliner, down the door pillar and back across under the glove box to the centre console with a bit to spare.
The USB plug can then slot into the provided 12v cig lighter adapter or be used with a USB power pack.
Car park at work was recently being resurfaced so had to park in a bit of a dodgy area, power pack supplied cover for 3 x 12 hour shifts which I was impressed with.
Can't comment on your 64GB question, I only have a 10 mile total daily commute ( hence the need for parking cover that doesn't drain my battery ) so I only use a 32GB card. If the instructions say 64GB is supported then I have no reason to doubt them, everything else on this camera has been legit.
F20 M135 in Estoril Blue

F32 428 in Sapphire Black - Gone
Mini JCW in Connault Green - Gone

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thrash » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 am

Anyone got any photos of the above cams from outside? I have been using a Garmin 55 which is brilliant but unfortunately it's not very discreet - the orange ring around the lens isn't the best design idea, which means I have to keep taking it off the mount when parking up.
I'm after something people won't notice unless they're really looking so was considering the A119 or Thinkware F50
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”