Bluetooth trouble

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Bluetooth trouble

Post by timk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 am

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble setting up the Bluetooth functions in my 2006 E87. Doing a VIN lookup says the car has options S644A and S663A, and it has the MULF box in the boot with the Bluetooth antenna cable coming out the back.

The 'TEL' option is present in the stereo but it just has a couple of dashes above it instead of a picture of a phone handset, and the option can't be selected. Holding the phone button on the steering wheel doesn't do anything at all.

Any clues or suggestions as to what I should do?

Cheers

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Bluetooth trouble

Post by rob-the-viking » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Tim,

Was the car shipped with bluetoth or have you retrofitted it mate?

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 am

Hi Rob,

The car was shipped with Bluetooth.

I am having 4 of the 5 symptoms listed on the http://bmwbluetooth.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site so I am suspecting the MULF unit. I pulled the unit out over the weekend and it has cured the random audio pausing issue. Here's the box I had in the boot:

I also removed the cover and took a picture of the PCB, but that image is huge. If you want to see it click here.

I can get the MULF repaired and updated in Australia for $400 but I was wondering if there's a more economical way to go, or if I could perhaps even swap to a MULF2 with USB for around the same price?

I found a picture showing the MULF and MULF2 connectors and they are similar but keyed differently, so I would have to de-pin the connector and move things across. Not sure what else is involved, this may just be the tip of the iceberg...

Cheers

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Tim,

At that price i would most certainly swap it out for a mulf2 mate. You can pick them up in the UK for £100-150 and most people would ship abroad.

USB would require some parts, but it'd be doable as you've got the MOST wiring in already. it would need coding though, $6FL, +IPod and +KMP3 NEED addingntk the vehicle order for usb retrofit.

Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Wibbles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I've got a spare MULF2 unit if you need it.
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 am

I have been looking at a MULF2 unit with the part number "84109229740" but it only lists the E87 facelift model as being compatible, not the older E87.

Apart from the difference in keying on the blue and white 54 pin connectors, and the Bluetooth antenna cable retainer difference, do you think it will just plug in and work?

The car/headunit already has option S644A enabled for the original MULF.

Cheers

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 pm

They're the same thing. I've retrofitted a mulf2 into my 2005 E87 and got BT and usb working.

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 pm

That's what I like to hear! 8)

I've been told when doing the coding that I'll have to specify a younger/later model VIN (or something along those lines) for USB to work, is this your experience Rob?

Did you do the coding yourself for your retrofit?

Sorry for all these questions but there's so much conflicting info on the 'net and I don't want to go in blind!

Cheers

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:00 am

No dramas mate, I'm here to help. If memory serves I did cheat the production date, but purely to code the radio, none of the other modules. It only takes seconds to do.

Yes I coded it myself, I do all my own coding as the dealers are stupidly expensive and clueless! Besides, they won't code second hand modules!

heres my write up

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks again Rob, your guide looks awesome!

Interestingly I can see the "dead" MULF through INPA (sorry for the bad quality pic):

If I try to interrogate the module it gives me an error though. I also can't see PDC listed which I assume is on the far side of the MOST ring (PDC doesn't work at the moment obviously).

I've read that the unit can be reflashed using WinKFP and takes about 2 hours, do you think I should bother trying to do this as one last check? It would mean investing in a power supply for the car I guess...

Cheers

330d uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by 330d uk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

PDC is not on the MOST ring just uses can lines so I suspect you have another issue? Water in the boot on the right hand side?
2009 Le-Mans Blue E87 116d Works Van with lots of Retrofits
2015 Melbourne Red F22 m235i Weekend Whip :twisted:

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:33 am

Tim, I personally would not bother trying to reflash it with winkfp. You'd need a stabilised PSU as you said, and it's a bit of a sod to set up correctly some times, and determine which software you need.

As said, PDC isn't on the most bus mate. You could well have water in the boot, its an annoyingly common fault sadly.

If I were in your position, I'd pull the ULF and replace it with a MULF2 with SVS. That way you can add usb at the same time as fixing your Bluetooth.

Has the BT ever worked in your ownership?

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by timk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks Rob, Wibbles and '330d uk'.

Rob, I have taken your advice and I have spoken to Wibbles about purchasing his old unit. Even if the flashing somehow brings the old MULF back to life I'd love the USB functions, so this really is the best way forward.

Once the unit arrives I'm thinking I'll have to add '$6FL' to the Vehicle Order on both the CAS and FRM using NCS Expert, then issue 'STEUERGERAETE_RESET' to the RAD2 using Tool32. Does this sound sane?

It looks like my PDC has been dead for a long time. You were both spot on; it was sitting in a substantial amount of water when I pulled it out:

As you can see two of the caps have fallen off and the board is well beyond repair. :cry:

I've pulled out the problematic vent and the seal has perished, I'm going to apply a thick bead of Sikaflex around the vent and put it back, I assume this should be the end of the water problems?

I have left the RHS boot trim off for now so I can monitor the situation.

Cheers

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:24 am

Tim, glad you've pulled the trigger on going down the USB route mate! Looking on ETK, the parts list for mine shows that the two retrofit harnesses that were a part of the kit are part numbers

6112 0434208
6112 0445328

One of them is the MOST harness, and the other is the USB harness, but I don't know which is which sadly! You could probably make the USB retrofit loom, the only thing is the pins and connector that attatches to the back of the usb socket. I'm not sure what the part numbers are for that, and then you'd have to get the correct crimping tool. Unless you have breakers out there that you can cut looms out of?

The annoying thing is ive seen the retrofit loom for sale somewhere but can't remember where....

Scorp
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Scorp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Just to revive an old thread and say the following.

Car: E87 130i.
Problem: Radio/Aux skipping or dropping or pausing intermittently or regularly every 3 to 10 seconds.
Probable cause: With Google search its most likely a faulty MULF unit.

With research and learning about the MOST network and reading about this issue in parts on various forums I did the following.

Ordered a MOST loop off e-bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322930110587?ul_noapp=true

Upon receipt of MOST loop, went out to the car, checked continuity of MOST signal at MULF in the boot. Incoming was fine, meaning the units before the MULF were all working, plugged in the loop and wallah, seems like the radio is now sorted no skipping or pausing when I tested it afterwards.
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”