USB Map Update Guide

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

USB Map Update Guide

Post by msej449 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm

A Description of the USB Map Update Process

This takes you through some of the key elements of this, based on a recent update that I did. Please bear in mind some of this is from memory, so minor details may not match exactly. It will not necessarily apply generically to all models and iDrive versions. You need to have a Connected Drive subscription. Please feel free to post comments and your own experience - I'm not claiming to be an expert, just trying to streamline the process for other people. When I recommend finding a couple of hours to do the download, this is just a general guide - you may take less/more time and it's very dependent on your broadband speed, of course.

BMW offers UK Connected Drive subscribers two ways to update their maps: (1) automatic ‘in car’ map updates for the UK and NI and (2) a manual process for the rest of Europe. This manual process uses a self-service portal, from where you install the BMW Map Updater App onto a local PC; this App helps download the update data locally; it then unpacks and copies the map data to a USB memory stick; you then manually plug the USB into the car; and the iDrive does the update.

Here is the basic information on which this guide is based. Times are very approximate and download time will obviously depend heavily on your broadband speed*.
  • • My Model, Year, Country: M235i Convertible, 2016, UK
    SatNav: BMW Professional Navigation
    BMW Connected Drive Subscription: Yes (included in ProNav)
    Connected Drive 'Region': United Kingdom (Default)
    Map Update: ‘EUROPE EVO 2017-2’
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 1607 Build 14393.1198
    Download Space Required: 28 Gigabytes (GB) {**EDIT: NOTE - EUROPE EVO 2017-3 REPORTED NEEDS 64GB FREE SPACE **}
    Memory Stick Size Used: 132GB USB 3.0
    Broadband download time and speed: 45 minutes@115Mbps*
    Verification time: 10-15m
    PC uncompress and PC-to-USB copy time: 15-20m
    USB-to-Car copy, verification & update time: 40m
Overall

• The BMW CD Portal is at https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/ap ... ml#/portal
• Make sure you have all the details you need to login to your Connected Drive account
• Have an 32GB+ USB stick ready, {EDIT: 64GB+ FOR 2017-3 UPDATE} before you start. It can have data on it - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.
• Reserve enough time to do the Portal-to-PC download, verification and PC-to-USB copy (2h)
• Reserve enough time to do the USB-to-car copy and update (40m)
• Make sure you have enough local storage space on the PC (30GB) and unused space (30GB) on the USB stick.
• Make sure that the default temporary folder is not on cloud storage or network folder

Gotchas/Observations:

Subscription: You need a Connected Drive subscription to do the update. In the UK this comes included on a new car, or you can take out a subscription if you don’t have this, or it has expired.

Confusion: BMW’s Portal uses the term ‘Region’ to mean a country as opposed to what I would call a Region e.g. Europe. Some BMW public web pages also refer to East and West Europe as separate updates. Some pages mention dealer-supplied USB updates at £110 a stick. There are also some map update guide pages. Ignore all these - they seem to be either remnants of older pages or only relevant to very specific situations.

Size: The update is 28 Gigabytes (GB) so you need at least a 32GB memory stick {EDIT: 64GB FOR UPDATE 2017-3} and it’s best to have this before you start. Plus at least 30MB of local PC temporary folder space. You can’t use the USB stick to store the initial download data, as the file format doesn’t allow this. You can leave data on the USB stick - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.

Temp Space: The App uses temporary storage space (30GB) on the PC as a download and staging area. Make sure this is not on a network drive or cloud storage as this will considerably extend the download time.

In One Go: I recommend that you just reserve the time (2 hours, but will vary) you need to do the download, verification, uncompress and copy to USB in one session. The Update App says you can interrupt the download but this is literal. You can interrupt the download. But you can’t interrupt the process after the download is completed – you must go on to run the verification check and copying to USB.

Leave it to run: When copying the updates from the USB stick to the car (about 30-40 minutes), the progress screen says you can use other iDrive functions and return ‘using the Navigation’ menu. But be aware - (1) there’s no indication of progress once you leave the Update screen and (2) the Nav Menu isn’t the gateway to the Progress screen, you have to find the ‘Updates’ menu: I recommend that you just leave the update progress screen running.

Verification Code: The download App displays and emails you a Verification Code for use in the car. But I was never asked to enter this when I updated the car’s maps.

Process

A. Preliminary

1. Get a Connected Drive subscription or check your details on the CD Portal – This gives you a username/password and has the email address to which the App will send a Verification Code later.
2. Get an empty 32GB+ USB memory stick. Can have files on it but must have 30GB of free space. {EDIT: 64GB FOR 2017-3 MAP UPDATE}
3. Check your broadband connection speed in Mbps
4. If you can, make sure that your PC’s Broadband connection is wired, rather than wireless.
5. Find a temporary, download folder on your PC that has 30GB or more of space and is
  • a. Not in a system Folder (e.g. \WINDOWS\)
    b. Not on a Network Drive
    c. Not on Cloud storage (e.g. OneDrive or Dropbox).
    d. Not on a USB Memory Stick (incompatible format for compressed files)
6. Time: Schedule a 2 hour slot for the USB download and 30-40 minutes for the car update.

B. Create a USB Update

7. Browser: Login into your Connected Drive Account at the CD Portal using your username/password
8. Portal: Under Booked Services select «Map Update»
9. Portal: Select «Manual Map Update»
10. Portal: Select «Manual Map Update Using the BMW Update Manager» (downloads App to PC)
11. Windows: Run the downloaded installation file.
12. Windows: Run the BMW Update Manager App (Should be in the Windows Menu - «BMWUpdateManager»)

The BMW Update Manager will open a small window. Your next steps will be to specify an alternate folder for the temporary files (one not on a cloud or network drive or in \WINDOWS and then start the download:

13 (a) BMW App: Click on the Options «Cogwheel Icon» then «Choose Folder»
then Windows: «Select Folder»
then BMW App«OK»

The App will test the link and calculate and display an estimated download time and progress GB and %.

14. You can «Pause»/«Cancel» But only during the map download - once it completes you must run through the verification and copy phases to the end.

When finished, the BMW Update App will run a verification of the downloaded data. It will then ask you to insert the USB memory stick and specify the space requirements

15. Insert the stick and continue

The App will unpack the data on the PC and copy it to the USB memory. It will display that it has sent an email with a Verification Code for use when in the car. (The email address is the one you specify in your Connected Drive account on the Portal).

When finished, the App will ask whether you want the local PC data to be deleted:

16. If you have the space, select«no» (i.e. keep the data) in case there are any problems. The App will display it’s finished:
17. Windows: «Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media» to un-mount the USB Stick: You can then physically remove it.

C. Car Update

18. Open the car, put the memory stick in the USB port, press the ignition.

The iDrive should detect this is a map update and ask you to OK the Update process

19. Press the iDrive button to OK start.

It will display a %progress screen and a message saying you can do other stuff
I recommend you just leave the progress screen as it is and monitor progress.
It will verify and copy the map data. Then it will update the Navigation system and finish.

20. Remove the USB Stick.

D. Appendix - Connected Drive Portal

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/ap ... l#/portal

Checking Your ‘In-car’ automatic update Region

It may be worth going into your account and checking that the ‘in car’ update Region is correct. By default, it should be for where you bought the car. I’m not sure what happens if a UK car changes the Region to, say, France or Germany e.g. ahead of a visit abroad.

1. Login to the Connected Drive Portal
2. Select «Map Update»
3. Select «Automatic Map Update»

Checking/changing Remote Services Parameters

You may also want to take a look at your setup for Remote Services. These should include functions shown on the mobile app., plus various additional parameters. These latter include email setup and passwords.

2. Select «Remote Cockpit» which should drop you onto the Status page.
3. Select «Control» to see and alter the setup parameters for remote services.
Last edited by msej449 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

surayne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: USB Map Update Guide

Post by surayne » Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks for this.

Do you know if it is possible to install maps from a different region (e.g. USA or Asia) on a UK car using this procedure?
M140i, Sports Auto, Alpine White, Black Dakota Leather, Pro Media, Driver Comfort Package (Rear), seat heating, high-gloss black interior trim. Audio upgrade with Eton speakers, Helix DSP, Alpine & Kenwood amps & JL Audio sub

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 pm

I suspect that you can't unless you have a local (to the map) Connected Drive subscription. There is a BMW page with links to all the Regions: https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/coun ... ction.html but my UK username and password are invalid for the US link. So my guess is that your Connected Drive subscription is set to give you visibility of only those maps that you might realistically use.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi, like the guide but having trouble getting past the £69.95 USB Map Update charge without putting my payment info in which I’m not willing to do.

I thought I had the correct services ie Pro Navigation, ConnectedDrive Services, BMW Online all showing as booked with the latter expiring 01/12/17 and I have the option of a £69.95 USB Map Update as Services which can be booked.

I couldn’t find an option for a manual map update

Is that right or should I have the ability to have free updates? I was looking to get Europe installed.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

killsta

Post by killsta » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Probably a stupid question.

Below is the version I have - ROAD MAP EUROPE EVO 2016-2 with automatic update GB, IE (2017-2).

I presume when I download and install the one off the BMW site (EUROPE EVO 2017-2) this will update the above to ROAD MAP EUROPE EVO 2017-2?

Is there any need to do this if the car never leaves the UK, i.e. will the automatic updates have all the updates for the UK or do I still need to update off the BMW site for all the updates?

BMWNeil
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BMWNeil » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am

msej449 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm

This takes you through some of the key elements of this, based on a recent update that I did. Please bear in mind some of this is from memory, so minor details may not match exactly. It will not necessarily apply generically to all models and iDrive versions. You need to have a Connected Drive subscription. Please feel free to post comments and your own experience - I'm not claiming to be an expert, just trying to streamline the process for other people. When I recommend finding a couple of hours to do the download, this is just a general guide - you may take less/more time and it's very dependent on your broadband speed, of course.

BMW offers UK Connected Drive subscribers two ways to update their maps: (1) automatic ‘in car’ map updates for a single country and (2) a manual process for a larger region such as Europe. This manual process uses a self-service portal, from where you install the BMW Map Updater App onto a local PC; this App helps download the compressed update data locally; it then uncompresses and copies the map data to a USB memory stick; you then manually plug the USB into the car; and the iDrive does the update.

Here is the basic information on which this guide is based. Times are very approximate and download time will obviously depend heavily on your broadband speed*.
    Download Space Required: 28 Gigabytes (GB)
Overall

• The BMW CD Portal is at https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/ap ... ml#/portal
• Make sure you have all the details you need to login to your Connected Drive account
• Have an 32GB+ USB stick ready, before you start. It can have data on it - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.
• Reserve enough time to do the Portal-to-PC download, verification and PC-to-USB copy (2h)
• Make sure you have enough local storage space on the PC (30GB) and unused space (30GB) on the USB stick.
• Make sure that the default temporary folder is not on cloud storage or network folder

Gotchas/Observations:

Subscription: You need a Connected Drive subscription to do the update. In the UK this comes included in ProNav on a new car, or you can take out a subscription if you don’t have this, or it has expired.

Confusion: BMW’s Portal uses the term ‘Region’ to mean a country as opposed to what I would call a Region e.g. Europe. Some BMW public web pages also refer to East and West Europe as separate updates. Some pages mention dealer-supplied USB updates at £110 a stick. There are also some map update guide pages. Ignore all these - they seem to be either remnants of older pages or only relevant to very specific situations.

Size: The update is 28 Gigabytes (GB) so you need at least a 32GB memory stick and it’s best to have this before you start. Plus at least 30MB of local PC temporary folder space. You can’t use the USB stick to store the initial download data, as the file format doesn’t allow this. You can leave data on the USB stick - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.

Temp Space: The App uses temporary storage space (30GB) on the PC as a download and staging area. Make sure this is not on a network drive or cloud storage as this will considerably extend the download time.

In One Go: I recommend that you just reserve the time (2 hours, but will vary) you need to do the download, verification, uncompress and copy to USB in one session. The Update App says you can interrupt the download but this is literal. You can interrupt the download. But you can’t interrupt the process after the download is completed – you must go on to run the verification check and copying to USB.

Leave it to run: When copying the updates from the USB stick to the car (about 30-40 minutes), the progress screen says you can use other iDrive functions and return ‘using the Navigation’ menu. But be aware - (1) there’s no indication of progress once you leave the Update screen and (2) the Nav Menu isn’t the gateway to the Progress screen, you have to find the ‘Updates’ menu: I recommend that you just leave the update progress screen running.

Verification Code: The download App displays and emails you a Verification Code for use in the car. But I was never asked to enter this when I updated the car’s maps.

Process

A. Preliminary

1. Get a Connected Drive subscription or check your details on the CD Portal – This gives you a username/password and has the email address to which the App will send a Verification Code later.
2. Get an empty 32GB+ USB memory stick. Can have files on it but must have 30GB of free space.
4. If you can, make sure that your PC’s Broadband connection is wired, rather than wireless.
5. Find a temporary, download folder on your PC that has 30GB or more of space and is
6. Time: Schedule a 2 hour slot for the USB download and 30-40 minutes for the car update.

B. Create a USB Update

7. Browser: Login into your Connected Drive Account at the CD Portal using your username/password
10. Portal: Select «Manual Map Update Using the BMW Update Manager» (downloads App to PC)
12. Windows: Run the BMW Update Manager App (Should be in the Windows Menu - «BMWUpdateManager»)

The BMW Update Manager will open a small window. Your next steps will be to specify an alternate folder for the temporary files (one not on a cloud or network drive or in \WINDOWS and then start the download:

then BMW App«OK»

The App will test the link and calculate and display an estimated download time and progress GB and %.

14. You can «Pause»/«Cancel» But only during the map download - once it completes you must run through the verification and copy phases to the end.

When finished, the BMW Update App will run a verification of the downloaded data. It will then ask you to insert the USB memory stick and specify the space requirements

The App will uncompress the data on the PC and copy it to the USB memory. It will display that it has sent an email with a Verification Code for use when in the car. (The email address is the one you specify in your Connected Drive account on the Portal).

When finished, the App will ask whether you want the local PC data to be deleted:

16. If you have the space, select«no» (i.e. keep the data) in case there are any problems. The App will display it’s finished:
17. Windows: «Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media» to un-mount the USB Stick: You can then physically remove it.

C. Car Update

The iDrive should detect this is a map update and ask you to OK the Update process

It will verify and copy the map data. Then it will update the Navigation system and finish.

It may be worth going into your account and checking that the ‘in car’ update Region is correct. By default, it should be for where you bought the car. I’m not sure what happens if a UK car changes the Region to, say, France or Germany e.g. ahead of a visit abroad.

2. Select «Map Update»

You may also want to take a look at your setup for Remote Services. These should include functions shown on the mobile app., plus various additional parameters. These latter include email setup and passwords.

Hi,

I followed your great walk through, unfortunately, when it came to loading it into the car, I plugged in the USB and got the following message -

'Navigation data in vehicle is incomplete/manipulated. Please have the system checked by Service'

Any idea what this means?
I got the confirmation email, everything seems to have worked up until that point!

Thanks
Neil
Current : 16' M135i Manual in EB, Spings/Spacers, M4 LCA, JB4, MPE, MTC Intercooler & DECAT & BMS Meth!! :spotman:

Past - Astra VXR Stage 4.5, Fiesta ST500 and Clio (Rush :roll: )

MattyNZL

Post by MattyNZL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:01 pm

BMWNeil wrote:
msej449 wrote:

BMW offers UK Connected Drive subscribers two ways to update their maps: (1) automatic ‘in car’ map updates for a single country and (2) a manual process for a larger region such as Europe. This manual process uses a self-service portal, from where you install the BMW Map Updater App onto a local PC; this App helps download the compressed update data locally; it then uncompresses and copies the map data to a USB memory stick; you then manually plug the USB into the car; and the iDrive does the update.

Overall

• Have an 32GB+ USB stick ready, before you start. It can have data on it - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.

Gotchas/Observations:

Subscription: You need a Connected Drive subscription to do the update. In the UK this comes included in ProNav on a new car, or you can take out a subscription if you don’t have this, or it has expired.

Size: The update is 28 Gigabytes (GB) so you need at least a 32GB memory stick and it’s best to have this before you start. Plus at least 30MB of local PC temporary folder space. You can’t use the USB stick to store the initial download data, as the file format doesn’t allow this. You can leave data on the USB stick - this will be moved to a new sub-folder.

Process

A. Preliminary

2. Get an empty 32GB+ USB memory stick. Can have files on it but must have 30GB of free space.

B. Create a USB Update

then BMW App«OK»

The App will uncompress the data on the PC and copy it to the USB memory. It will display that it has sent an email with a Verification Code for use when in the car. (The email address is the one you specify in your Connected Drive account on the Portal).

C. Car Update

2. Select «Map Update»

Hi,

I followed your great walk through, unfortunately, when it came to loading it into the car, I plugged in the USB and got the following message -

'Navigation data in vehicle is incomplete/manipulated. Please have the system checked by Service'

I got the confirmation email, everything seems to have worked up until that point!

Thanks
Neil

I've just had the same issue so keen to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi guys - Ummmm, sorry, I never got anything like this when I did it.

The problem I had was that I used the default download folder location and for some reason, being in \Windows scuppered the speed. Perhaps because I have an all solid-state PC or something it took so long (overnight) that I wasn't surprised when the resulting file was corrupt. Once I specified a folder on my \User space it took the expected half an hour or so.

It sounds like the in-car utility that does the updates can read the file OK but that there's something missing. You're sure that there was enough space on the USB stick for any existing data and the updates? If you're dealing with 2017-3 then it may be bigger than my 2017-2 dataset?

Sorry I can't be of more help .....

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 pm

msej449 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:14 pm
Hi guys - Ummmm, sorry, I never got anything like this when I did it.

The problem I had was that I used the default download folder location and for some reason, being in \Windows scuppered the speed. Perhaps because I have an all solid-state PC or something it took so long (overnight) that I wasn't surprised when the resulting file was corrupt. Once I specified a folder on my \User space it took the expected half an hour or so.

It sounds like the in-car utility that does the updates can read the file OK but that there's something missing. You're sure that there was enough space on the USB stick for any existing data and the updates? If you're dealing with 2017-3 then it may be bigger than my 2017-2 dataset?

Sorry I can't be of more help .....
There was a post recently where it was mentioned that for 2017 - 3 pro map update, a 64 meg USB stick was required.
2016 118d Advantage Navi Auto, Glacier Silver, LED Headlights, Eton b100xw door speakers.

BMWNeil
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BMWNeil » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 am

I tried it again last night, deleted the first copy, did a full format on the 32gb stick, downloaded the update again and plugged it in this morning ..... wahey, starting updating, unfortunately my commute wasn't long enough so i'll have to update tonight :)
Mines the Maps 2017-2 update.
Current : 16' M135i Manual in EB, Spings/Spacers, M4 LCA, JB4, MPE, MTC Intercooler & DECAT & BMS Meth!! :spotman:

Past - Astra VXR Stage 4.5, Fiesta ST500 and Clio (Rush :roll: )

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

msej449 wrote:
Gotchas/Observations:

Subscription: You need a Connected Drive subscription to do the update. In the UK this comes included in ProNav on a new car
Also comes included with business nav on new cars AFAIAA.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

MattyNZL

Post by MattyNZL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:27 pm

BMWNeil wrote:I tried it again last night, deleted the first copy, did a full format on the 32gb stick, downloaded the update again and plugged it in this morning ..... wahey, starting updating, unfortunately my commute wasn't long enough so i'll have to update tonight :)
Mines the Maps 2017-2 update.
I am about to try the same tactic!

RogerF

Post by RogerF » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 pm

I did the 2017-2 update a few weeks ago, yes you need a 64Gb stick, took 2 days to update as none of my drives were long enough to completely update in one go. Fortunately the process does continue from where it left off ...

My previous car took 5 hours to update, it even continued when I had switched off and locked the car (VW Phaeton :o )
'63 plate 125d M Sport

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 pm

To answer an earlier post by @killsta - As far as I can see, for a UK car, the Region should be set to the UK and it'll get automatic, in-car updates for the UK and NI without needing any manual intervention. That is, you won't have to do the USB thing if you stay in the UK.

I'm pretty certain this is what caused so much confusion for me on my previous BMW: I was getting updates for the UK and just assumed I'd also get updates for the rest of Europe. After 2-3 years, when I went to France and Switzerland, the maps would be out of date anywhere where there had been recent road changes.

MattyNZL

Post by MattyNZL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am

BMWNeil wrote:
msej449 wrote:

Overall

Gotchas/Observations:

Process

A. Preliminary

B. Create a USB Update

then BMW App«OK»

C. Car Update

2. Select «Map Update»

Hi,

Thanks
Neil
Hi Neil
I got the same message. How did you manage to fix yours?

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”