Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Post Reply
oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey all,

I just got my new steering wheel and airbag components all sorted and am currently handling the unfitted air-bag like a dangerous nuclear warhead!

How cautious do I really need to be with the airbag module, I am literally holding it facing away from me at all times, carrying it around in its big box, generally treating it like the plague until I come to fit it......at which point I think I am going to be a nervous wreck trying to plug it in, while ducking etc..... I read on the forums that even static electricity can set them off, so am a little worries in my rough handling when it comes to install time.

Am I being paranoid and in reality its completely inert and fine to treat like a normal car part, and only becomes active after its plugged in........or am I right to be handling it with kids gloves for fear of it going pop in my face while I have it in the house, and come to fit it.

Rob

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 49887
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by marco_polo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by Mike_RS » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:21 pm

oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am
marco_polo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob
... and nobody ever heard from OxfordshireRob again :lol:
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 am

Mike_RS wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:21 pm
oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am
marco_polo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob
... and nobody ever heard from OxfordshireRob again :lol:
Ha ha ha, thankfully I am still around to tell the positive tale that all went beautifully with no unexpected air bag explosions! Phew!

Dange20
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by Dange20 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Did you find this easy? Im also worried about doing this job, i am about to order a new steering wheel and wanted to fit it myself, can you tell me step by step? This job worries me!
2017 M140 Shadow Edition-Tinted Windows-Maxton Blades-Maxton Splitter-3D Spoiler-White

oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Dange20 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 pm
Did you find this easy? Im also worried about doing this job, i am about to order a new steering wheel and wanted to fit it myself, can you tell me step by step? This job worries me!
In hindsight its nothing to worry about, but before the job like you I was a bit concerned.

My car is an F20, but the details in this post are still relevant and this is the guide I followed: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

That said, if I was doing again, I would probably go down this route: http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/DIY%20Cru ... %20F20.pdf as it looks like less damage possibilities to the back of the steering wheel.

All in probably took about 30-40mins, but most of that was trying to get the airbag off (using the first guide above). Once off, it was dead easy to put the new controls in and put it back together, the airbags go on a lot easier than they come off!

The coding was done remotely by Wibbles (he's on this forum) and was really quick and pain free!

Good luck

Dange20
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by Dange20 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Will i need it coding if im just having He steering wheel re furbished? Royal are sending me a new one and im fitting that? Thiught it would be one off and one on?
2017 M140 Shadow Edition-Tinted Windows-Maxton Blades-Maxton Splitter-3D Spoiler-White

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 49887
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm

No coding required for a straight swap, I suspect oxfordshirerob was adding Cruise Control.

Make sure you disconnect the battery to avoid errors and warnings.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Post Reply

Return to “How To's”