Baby BMW Forum banner

Performance Short Shift Gear Lever Kit

26K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  deneyer 
#1 ·
Heres my "How To" fit a Short Shift Gear Lever Kit (INSTALLING SET GEAR LEVER KINEMATIC) from
@ £158.10

i used this post to help me " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i added a little more helpful details.

In The Box

Befor

First step is to remove the gear knob, by selecting 4th & kneel on the seat facing the back seats & pull hard with one arm, & off it pops, & with out smacking your self in the face.

Second is to remove the plastic trim & gear stick gaiter, then rubber casing around the stick

Then you need to undo the white collar around the gear lever 'ball' and lift the lever up to gain access to the
clip on the bottom of the stick underneath, i use some long nose pliers as in the picture below & turn right & it will pop up & out

Then lift the gear lever up & pull to one side to view the clip as below bottom right, using the long nose pliers clamp & lift up and then slide the bottom bush of the stick

Remove old gear stick, replace with the new short stick remembering to have the bend in the stick leans away from the dash, fit the clip, lower the white collar & push down on it with the pliers till it clicks into place

fit the rubber housing, the new black Alcantara Stick Gaiter & plastic trim Then the new gear knob.

Job done.

& it feels so much better sporty with the 25% less travel & much much quicker shifting, very very happy.

See less See more
#6 ·
marco_polo said:
Nice one. :thumbs:

On the old one, how is the ball attached to the stick? Could the ball be shifted higher up towards the goose-neck, for a freebee half measure??
The ball is firmly moulded on from memory (i changed my to a SSK about 6 months ago) so little chance of shifting it unfortunately.

#9 ·
b1g1an said:
Don't get this kit, short shifts are supposed to be much shorter movement not a shorter stick. In fact they tend to be taller for extra leverage making it much slicker.
I think the same as you. It makes sense. I want an alcantara wheel before i buy the knob and gaitor :)

#10 ·
b1g1an said:
Don't get this kit, short shifts are supposed to be much shorter movement not a shorter stick. In fact they tend to be taller for extra leverage making it much slicker.
I didnt buy it for its looks, the performance stick has 25% less travel than the standard stick & it has done exactly as i wanted it to, & as it was designed for, when racing from 1st up through the gears with the oem stick i would find my self lifting the clutch pedal before i had engaged into gear so crunching the gear, now that has been eliminated & is fast shifting & it feels a million times better

the gear knob & gaiter are just a second choice as the oem look nasty

This isnt for anyone who just tootles along but for use when fast accelerating through the gears & im guessing you havent used a bmw in this manor with this fitted as you would understand the benefits & that its not cause it looks better shorter.

#11 ·
What are you on this time? I didn't mention whether it looks poncy or not, I think it does by the way, I just said I don't get this particular kit as it goes against traditional thinking on short shift kits and your response just goes to show that you're the one that doesn't understand :makefun:

Regardless, everyone on here is entitled to an opinion but I've noticed every time someone doesn't agree with your's you either start talking bollocks or get personal. However, I do agree with you on one thing, you're original wasn't much of a looker :thumbs:

#12 ·
b1g1an said:
What are you on this time? I didn't mention whether it looks poncy or not, I think it does by the way, I just said I don't get this particular kit as it goes against traditional thinking on short shift kits and your response just goes to show that you're the one that doesn't understand :makefun:

Regardless, everyone on here is entitled to an opinion but I've noticed every time someone doesn't agree with your's you either start talking bollocks or get personal. However, I do agree with you on one thing, you're original wasn't much of a looker :thumbs:
Sorry i dont know where i got the think about looks from, i do have a habit of reading into things wrong & waffling on, one of my bad points i guess :cry: & i think i get a bit passionate about the things i like.

sorry i will try & stop my replys & rants as i can talk out of my arse soom times.

#13 ·
Does the original gear knob just pull off and then the BMWP one just push back on?

#15 ·
sonicvanman said:
Japanred120d said:
Does the original gear knob just pull off and then the BMWP one just push back on?
yes, put in 2nd or 4th gear,give the old one a good tug will pop off & the new one just line up & pull down hard to make its on full.
Thanks mate

#16 ·
Thanks for this guide Sonic, just used you guide to fit 'Dan116i's short shift kit.

Took me a good half an hour or so, even with your instructions!

If anyone else is following this, I'd suggest turning the white plastic socket-cup 90 degrees clockwise, it pops up nicely then. Before you start, check out the tabs on the new socket-cup supplied in the kit, and the two long slots either side of the metal outer ring. You can just see the slots in Sonic's pic, the light is bouncing nicely off the right hand one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.