Fitting a K&N filter to a Diesel 1 series (best way)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Lee_2f2f
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Fitting a K&N filter to a Diesel 1 series (best way)

Post by Lee_2f2f » Sun May 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Ok, So quite a few people have been sending me PM's requesting how I did, what I did, and how it sounds, Fitting a K&N induction kit to Bloo.

So allow me to explain as best as I can. :)

I myself have a 120d, 177bhp, standard.

I purchased a K&N 57i Induction kit, made for the BMW diesel engines.

After doing some reading up, I discovered the differences in the environments the air filter should be set in;

Fitted as instructed by K&N is a good way, but can (like... Will more than can) cause you issues: read on...

Fitting as instructed - Result - No way of protecting the airfilter from heat soak, No direct air feed. - Also resulting - Loss of power, more fuel consumption, in the long run, damaging the maf sensor.

Fitting as instructed, but also fitting a heat shield (available on Ebay) - Result - A little better than above, but still the car will suffer heatsoak, and lack of air from no direct air feed. - resulting again in loss of power, more fuel consumption and in the long run, damaging the maf sensor.

Fitting the way I have - Good result! - Car uses old airbox for direct airfeed (Too much air is also bad, but this is just the right setup) - Using half of the top of the airbox will also help with the flow of the air and also the airfilter is not going to suffer heat soak! - Result - perfect air flow and amount of air, avoiding heat soak, Consumption will not change, car will perform a little better (hardly noticeable) turbo spool is louder when driving (see videos)

Ok so... I have basically built a Custom airfeed & heat shield so to speak, Here are a few pictures:

What I did was simple.

Take the lid from your standard airbox, and make a cut about the same size as I have in the photos, I used a Dremel.

Once you have cut to size, fit it, and use a screw on the left hand side of the lid (see pictures) otherwise the lid is loosly attached and will come off.

Fit your K&N to the maf sensor and align where you want to position it in the airbox, once you have done that, make a mark on the lid and on the bottom part of the airbox where you will need to drill one hole in each.

Once the holes are drilled, fit a cable tie (or 2) through the holes and tighten down the airfilter so it can not move around (Again as I have in the pictures)

Pretty self explanatory really, I am not a DIY guy and I managed to do it, and it has worked really well!

Here are 2 videos of how the K&N sounds when stationary:

I hope this helps you all out, of course if you do have any questions then do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

Lee.
Gone: 09' 120d MSport, catched at 198bhp, Miltek, K&N, CSL Reps, BMWP parts, coding, & more.
Now: 05' E46 318ci Cabrio, dark Bloo, many options, and mods will come in time.

JonyTarvis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Fitting a K&N filter to a Diesel 1 series (best way)

Post by JonyTarvis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Apart from the change in sound did you notice any considerable change in performance?
Present: mk5 Golf Plus (with dinner trays)

Past: Z4 3.0si Coupe, 120d M Sport Coupe, Golf 2.0 TDI, Clio 1.2

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 pm

The filter looks to have disclosured very quickly with air contaminants. Looks like it will need cleaned on a very regular basis to stop it restricting airflow.
Last edited by Octavius on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Robocoupe

Post by Robocoupe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Agreed, if that is the same filter from the first pic you are defo getting less air in than through OEM filter because of contaminants, how long has it been fitted?

Sending....

Roby_Bimmer

Post by Roby_Bimmer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm

its a little small? here is my

Ry_B
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ry_B » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Good write up! Do you still have this setup?
123d coupe - Sold
118d F20 daily driver
Z4 3.0si for weekends! :D

Delarioo

Post by Delarioo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:19 pm

So just remove the top bit of the box, allows airflow and saves from heat?
E87 116i Sparkling Graphite - Current

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Yes, you must protect the filter from hot air. Air from near your turbo can get very hot, which will mean you would lose quite a bit of power.

The standard airbox is the best, but if you must use an open cone, make a good heat shield.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

RAUL-87
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RAUL-87 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi Guys.

Is there actually any benefit to this kit? I've heard people complain it messes the MAF sensor up... however, surely K&N would have checked and developed these kits not to cause damage especially to the sensor on the 1er?

I've had K&N induction kits and panel filters before on other cars and never had a problem, and currently have a BMC filter in my standard airbox which pretty much looks like a K&N (red oil etc)

And regards to heat soak.... at all speeds, surely the airflow hitting the front of the car / passing into or through the engine bay would remove any chance of heat soak on the filter, even if it's not enclosed like above?

Thanks for any help...

Steve
E82 118D // M-Sport Coupe - N47 // 2012

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:34 pm

No, zero benefit, just farty noises.

Your car shares an air filter with the 335d (which makes about 350bhp when remapped) so can't be a power restriction on yours.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

RAUL-87
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RAUL-87 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Ok Cool!

Thanks for the above mate... was purely wondering that was all, an expense for nothing it would appear aye haha!
E82 118D // M-Sport Coupe - N47 // 2012

Return to “How To's”