Baby BMW Forum banner

Headlights upgrade?

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  GeorgeCCole 
#1 ·
This is my 1st BMW ever - hella excited about it, will be picking it up on Tuesday ! It's a 2012 120D M Sport 5dr.

As you can see from the title, the car comes with standard halogen lights and they're not the prettiest so I'm looking to upgrade them to some beautiful angel eyes led / xenon (im not good at this). What advice to you have for me and maybe you can tell me what sort of price range I'm looking at including labour since I doubt i can do it by myself without messing something up.

This is my first post here, so in case I'm in the wrong thread, I do apologise !

Thanks ! :D

#3 ·
#6 ·
Check your timing chain before pumping money into upgrades

#10 ·
do a search on here for timing chain !! well give you an idea what to listen for. Also give the reg to your nearest bmw dealership and they might be able to say if there's work been done on the Chain

#14 ·
I've got the beauty yesterday ! Hella excited for what's to come.

But for now, I would like to change the bulbs for something brighter. Since the angel eyes xenons are pretty expensive, I might wait for a while until I get a pair.

What is the best option for me? Also something that doesn't require me to dissemble half the car if possible since I don't have the tools :lol2:

I've read about some Xenon bulbs but they are either not legal or have horrible glare , or I'm misinformed.

Help a brotha out

#16 ·
GeorgeCCole said:
I'm sure they're great and bright but... Illegal in UK. HID and LED conversions are illegal and in best case scenario will result in mot failure. Worst case scenario fine and points on your license.
If you're after nice white light colour look at Philips Diamond Vision. If you want bright light but not so white go for Osram Night breaker Unlimited. I'm super happy with Osram bulbs.

#17 ·
Kierownik said:
GeorgeCCole said:
I'm sure they're great and bright but... Illegal in UK. HID and LED conversions are illegal and in best case scenario will result in mot failure. Worst case scenario fine and points on your license.
If you're after nice white light colour look at Philips Diamond Vision. If you want bright light but not so white go for Osram Night breaker Unlimited. I'm super happy with Osram bulbs.
Sooo the Osram's are not illegal because they'e neither HID or LED - right ? (im so bad at this)

Also, how hard is it to install them and do they need coding or something ? higher voltage etc

#18 ·
Philips and Osram bulbs that I mentioned are just halogen bulbs with some tweaks, therefore completely legal.
Very easy to install, you just open the flap in the wheel arch above the front wheel, twist open another cap, take the bulb out, put new one in, put everything back in place. Done!
As for the Philis Diamond Vision I used to use them for a while and I loved the white light, they relly looked good. The only downside was they were not as bright as I wanted. Still bright but could be brighter.
Then I tested Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and wow, those bulbs are bright, I can see where I'm going :eek2: The only downside is, the light colour is not as white as Philips's.
To be fair, I'd prefer to be safe and legal on the road rather than fitting my car with aftermarket hid conversion kit and blind other drivers.
Obviously it's up to you. Have fun :bigsmile:

#20 ·
Kierownik said:
Philips and Osram bulbs that I mentioned are just halogen bulbs with some tweaks, therefore completely legal.
Very easy to install, you just open the flap in the wheel arch above the front wheel, twist open another cap, take the bulb out, put new one in, put everything back in place. Done!
As for the Philis Diamond Vision I used to use them for a while and I loved the white light, they relly looked good. The only downside was they were not as bright as I wanted. Still bright but could be brighter.
Then I tested Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and wow, those bulbs are bright, I can see where I'm going :eek2: The only downside is, the light colour is not as white as Philips's.
To be fair, I'd prefer to be safe and legal on the road rather than fitting my car with aftermarket hid conversion kit and blind other drivers.
Obviously it's up to you. Have fun :bigsmile:
I got them :) now lets see the installation bit. I got the M sport so is kinda low , hopefully i can fit my hand in the arches [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.