Baby BMW Forum banner

M1/240i X Drive.

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Shadak 
#1 ·
Hello Chaps,
How many owners would be interested in an X Drive M Lite ?. Is there a reason why BMW dont make one in RHD ?, i bet they would do really well with this over here.

#4 ·
Live in sweden so got a m140i xdrive on order, didnt test drive the rwd model but the traction from xdrive is just sublime. Coming from a rwd 335i e91 with cobb acsessport (380bhp) the power is just too much in the wet or on snow especially w/o a LSD.
Xdrive + Jb4 could be some fun :twisted:

#5 ·
I think as a lot of golf r and s3 owners say the car is boring and too predictable to drive Questions how big the market would be.

Yes you might launch quicker and have better traction sometimes, but are they better and more fun to drive?

One of my main draws to this car was rwd along with the engine.

#6 ·
sspdw said:
Live in sweden so got a m140i xdrive on order, didnt test drive the rwd model but the traction from xdrive is just sublime. Coming from a rwd 335i e91 with cobb acsessport (380bhp) the power is just too much in the wet or on snow especially w/o a LSD.
Xdrive + Jb4 could be some fun :twisted:
Completely agree,
A mapped x drive, im sure, would give an RS3 a run for its money off the line, a whole heap of fun

#10 ·
Unless you live in an area of snow and ice or intend to go offroad 4wd is a waste of money. I had 2 Audi A4s one was 1.8t fwd and the other was 2.0t 4wd both remapped. Only in certain conditions on certain types of road ( probably about 5%) did the 4wd have any advantage. It was also slower and used more fuel, I regretted buying it even.

#12 ·
I understand RWD are fun when cornering but even though there are some emptier roads around our town Id hardly get to enjoy it.. My main reason for xdrive is launching from lights to be completely honest, thats most of the city driving :) and even on a dry road you can spin RWD, xdrive doesnt flinch even in wet and I like it. M140 is 60-40 so you can do a brief wet road powerslide too. And in snow it can be fun AND grippy.

I was looking at the 2018 Mustang GT and while I love a lot about the car, the initial spin puts me off a bit. Different story in California with comparatively drier weather :)

But this is a rather strange discussion since a lot of UK folk dont get to drive M140 xdrive yet.

#13 ·
The other week I dearly wished they did it in the RHD.

Took my 240 down to the garage at the back of my old dears place - a bit of rain had made the area in front a bit spongy (there's limestone down, but it tends to sink over time, and the grass on top tends to get a bit muddy).

Anyway - managed to sink the car slightly when backing up :(

It took plenty of bad language, potato sacks and pushing (not easy when it's wet and the bodywork is tin foil - was terrified of putting a dent in the boot lid!)

Pretty sure it would have been no problem in the xdrive. Certainly didn't experience that in my TT!

Anyway, lesson learned - don't go anywhere near grass when it's wet!

Wonder if it would have been easier with the winters on?

#14 ·
LadyBayImp said:
Wonder if it would have been easier with the winters on?
Infinitely, they're M&S rated tyres - 'Mud and snow'.

Back on topic, I've no interest in driving a 4x4 as a daily, although I appreciate they're useful off road, pulling horseboxes and such like. Extra weight, and less fun, for more dollar? That's a lose, lose, lose for my DD.

#15 ·
My dd before the M140i RWD was a 2010 Impreza STi. Similar power (330bhp) but obviously AWD. For those saying there is no need for AWD on normal roads I don't know what you're smoking. I would have bought x-drive in a heartbeat if it was available here.

In my STi, even on wet roads, you could floor it at very low speed with never any hint of wheelspin or TC coming on. eg following someone coming out of a 30 limit into a NSL, you just plant the throttle and it grips and you're past them in a split second. Try this in my M140i and either the TC limits power massively or you're going faster sideways than forwards with TC off, making such overtakes is just not possible in the same distance. I've even had the TC light on in gear M4 while attempting an overtake at about 50mph, limiting power, which is a bit scary when you're on the wrong side of the road and suddenly lose power...

And the next obvious difference is waiting to pull out of a T-junction. You've got a bit of steering lock on, waiting for a gap to pull in to, AWD makes a huge difference here. The 0-30mph time (which is what matters when pulling out into traffic) is ridiculously fast, even in the wet with AWD. In the M140i you have to wait for a much bigger gap to pull out safely.

Of course I'm not ignoring the benefits of RWD, it is much easier and safer to go sideways out of a junction compared to AWD. But to me the traction benefits far outweigh being able to have a little fun now and again (I have another car for that anyway that is far easier to control).

#16 ·
I feel the weight argument isnt so valid anymore, the difference is 60kg, thats barely a teenagers weight (or small woman vs bulky man), hardly noticeable unless you'd time track laps. And I would assume you could get the xdrive quicker out of the tight corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.