Baby BMW Forum banner

BMW Open Case - exhaust tip pitting

5K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  AndyKnight 
#1 ·
Like many, my M135i has suffered with exhaust tip corrosion. I had the drivers side tip replaced probably 6 months ago by Douglas Park in Hamilton with no questions asked, however both tips have are now showing signs of pitting so I took it back in today.

In all honesty I was just expecting that they would be replaced, but I've been told that I will need to book it in so that the dealership can take photos and raise a case to BMW. If successful all it will get me is a fresh set of exhaust tips, and as we know, they will last best part of 6 months before they go again.

Frustrated as I don't really want to have to continually go through this, only to have a not fit for purpose item replaced by another not fit for purpose item.

So two questions really;

1 - other than spending a fortune on an alternative exhaust or having to pay out of our own pockets to buy 435 chrome tips, has anyone actually resolved this issue with their dealer, and if so can you share how?
2 - to the mods, might it be an idea to open up a sticky on this subject. It seems that almost all owners experience this problem yet the dealership reactions aren't consistent. Might be helpful to share any case numbers, or suggestions to get the right outcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interested in how this pans out - just over 4 months old and with a post-winter pressure wash I've noticed that my tips are pitting, the right more so than the left (as suggested due to cold startup flap operation?).

#8 ·
I don't have the M Lite but even on my Sport I had corrosion and got the tip replaced last April. Not too bothered about them now with it being sold next month but glad to know that I have chrome tips on my 4er :spotman:

BMW should really sort out these 1 series tips!

Matt

#12 ·
I actually started out by asking if the dealwrship would just switch to chrome. My preference is the standard dark silver finish but ultimately I just dont want pitted tailpipes.

Im a bit thrown that I will now have to raise a case to get them repaired which means it will be even more hassle and most likely a long wait, only for it to happen again.

Has anyone else had to raise a case viia BMW?

#13 ·
AAddict said:
Steven1077 said:
I really can't see why they can't offer us the chrome tips, that has to be cheaper for them in the long run
The chrome tips look a bit sh*t though IMO
That's your opinion, I think they look better than the black ones, I personally think that black grills look sh*t on a blue car but that's only my opinion, to each his own

#14 ·
Although my car is only 8-9 months old, my tips are looking pretty good still. Each time I wash the car I give them a coat of high temp wax or sealant. I'd read about the problem beforehand and didn't want to be fussing with taking the car to the dealers for replacements, so gave this a go. Certainly a pain, but perhaps has helped.

#15 ·
Aero said:
Although my car is only 8-9 months old, my tips are looking pretty good still. Each time I wash the car I give them a coat of high temp wax or sealant. I'd read about the problem beforehand and didn't want to be fussing with taking the car to the dealers for replacements, so gave this a go. Certainly a pain, but perhaps has helped.
Picked mine up last June and both tips are still brand new, no pitting. Wash the car weekly and no issues upto now. I think if you let carbon build up on any exhaust trim with a coating on them they will corrode, heat, water and exhaust deposits will do its work. The tips on the E89 go the same way after a time unless kept clean.

#16 ·
They will all go eventually, they are cheaply made and poorly finished.

I think the chrome ones look a bit pants as well tbh but then again some on here like them as a solution and it's all about opinions and choice, no right or wrong tbf.

Powder coating is the answer but why do we have to provide the solution?

#17 ·
I've left my chrome ones dirty for a few weeks and I will try and clean them up tomorrow and see what they look like. gave the car a wash earlier and the soot wouldn't come off but will try Autosol in the morning (it was dark when I finished)

#20 ·
I had Gtechniq C2 applied to mine within a couple of weeks of getting it and all still well with mine but miles still very low.

Also had the wheels and brake callipers done while it was at the detailers, can't fault the stuff, expensive but you get what you pay for.

#21 ·
davidv111 said:
CWM135 said:
Would replacing to the 435 tips not have to be declared on the insurance?
Really? No onbviously not!
When I got my car back from some accident repairs at Park Lane with an unexpected and unrequested freeupgrade to black MPerformance front grilles, I asked the insurance company if they needed to be declared and they said they didn't care as it didn't affect the performance.

As regards the exhaust, my tips pitted badly so I had them replaced as a stop-gap measure but also extracted a healthy discount on an MPE by way of compensation.

#23 ·
Woody80 said:
Wondering if there is a fix with LCI tips now instead? Anyone know?
Would hope so wouldn't you? Probably find out in 2/3 months but its summer and maybe less rain/changeable conditions to accelerate pitting.

Do the LCI tips fit onto the pre LCI? I imagine its a clip on jobby but 5mm extra means it might touch the diffuser?

Matt

#24 ·
It's not exactly a new phenomena, my 2006 335i had the same problems. 9 years later they still can't get it right. Are they surprised that exhausts get hot or something!?

My MPE tips are still nice and shiny though so I'm happy/

#25 ·
I know the general discussion is regarding the black chrome m135i exhaust tips but has anyone had the chrome tips on the 116i/118i and I would assume 125i replaced due to corrosion? You know the chrome ones?

My exhaust tip is black (116i) and when I took it back to Bavarian they said that's how they go and that was that. :rollseyes:

MSport trim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.