Bluespark Tuning Box

Bluespark Automotive provide plug and play performance tuning solutions for Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel vehicles. We cover most BMW models and get great results from them. We are a UK company based just south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, where you are always welcome to call in for a chat.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196, eddbluespark

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Tooney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:05 am

Penfold wrote:
MikeH1163 wrote:First post on here, after watching this thread for a while i ordered and installed the blue spark tuning box on my M140i, this was a couple of days ago now and I can definitely feel the difference, 3rd gear pull is where it’s really noticeable in my opinion and that’s just on the default setting C, haven’t tested any of the others out yet.
However I have noticed on a couple of occasions now that when changing up into 3rd from 2nd (manual car) If you rev 2nd out fairly high the revs go dead as soon as you get into 3rd as thou tc is kicking in but this is whilst in sport + and it hangs for too long for that to be the cause, the revs just don’t want to go any higher. Its making all the right noises but its as thou the engines is on a very soft limiter like 1/2 of the power it would usually give at them revs if I had rolled it on in 3rd, you almost have to back out of the throttle and start again, feels like what I imagine a boost leak would feel like but surely not? I could be way off the mark but to me it’s as thou the car believes it’s at full boost after the up shift and it’s actually not until like I said you let off and start again.
Only other bits I have done are a K&N drop in filter and BSC midpipe so wouldn’t expect them to effect anything. Would be good to know if anyone had any ideas as to what the cause maybe or if anyone has experience anything similar in a manual with the bluespark?
I’ve experienced this two or three times, feels like a complete loss of power for a split second. Running map 5 on an auto box.
I’m a bit concerned about Bluespark not wanting to run the car in map 5 in case of AF issues, will maybe drop mine back to default until we hear some more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spoke to Ed regarding Map5 yesterday and he assured me the afr's are no problem and you can run it on a otherwise stock car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddbluespark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by eddbluespark » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:16 am

I should just point out in order to prevent anyone getting the wrong end of the stick:

BimRSV4 has an M235i with custom firmware which we will be testing on Friday. This is the N55 rather than the B58 found in the Mx40i. I am keen to develop our firmware for the N55 to get just as good improvements as we get from the B58.

Please bear in mind that BimRSV4's map settings have absolutely no implications if you are:
  • Running an Mx35i with our standard firmware. Although your box hardware may be the same, his settings have been customised.
  • Running an Mx40i. Your car has different box hardware, a different engine (B58 vs N55), and a different firmware configuration.

User avatar
sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 5843
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:00 pm
Location: The Boro

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by sootyvrs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

Tooney wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:05 am
I spoke to Ed regarding Map5 yesterday and he assured me the afr's are no problem and you can run it on a otherwise stock car.
Have you got your car back yet? Fixed?
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Tooney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 am

sootyvrs wrote:
Tooney wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:05 am
I spoke to Ed regarding Map5 yesterday and he assured me the afr's are no problem and you can run it on a otherwise stock car.
Have you got your car back yet? Fixed?
Not yet matey it's currently at BMW Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penfold
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Penfold » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 am

eddbluespark wrote:I should just point out in order to prevent anyone getting the wrong end of the stick:

BimRSV4 has an M235i with custom firmware which we will be testing on Friday. This is the N55 rather than the B58 found in the Mx40i. I am keen to develop our firmware for the N55 to get just as good improvements as we get from the B58.

Please bear in mind that BimRSV4's map settings have absolutely no implications if you are:
  • Running an Mx35i with our standard firmware. Although your box hardware may be the same, his settings have been customised.
  • Running an Mx40i. Your car has different box hardware, a different engine (B58 vs N55), and a different firmware configuration.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Any idea what might be causing the loss of power/limiting feeling?
I’ve experienced it in different gears when pushing hard on the accelerator, the car will bog down very noticeably.
Only happened to me a couple of times so I haven’t had chance to see where in the rev range it happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:43 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Jpick11 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm

So Edd and BimRSv4,

are you using this time to make adjustments to the box for us N55's?

I have a 2016 M135i and been looking at the box too, wondering what sort of figures are possible?

Thanks,

James
M135i Arrived Mid June.... and loving it!

Mineral Grey, Red Leather, Heated seats, Manual, 5 door

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO ... wkk3QLqibQ

eddbluespark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by eddbluespark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 am

Penfold wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 am
Thanks for clearing that up.
Any idea what might be causing the loss of power/limiting feeling?
I’ve experienced it in different gears when pushing hard on the accelerator, the car will bog down very noticeably.
Only happened to me a couple of times so I haven’t had chance to see where in the rev range it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In terms of the limiting feeling, ideally I would need to see what was going on, however my best guess is it is probably traction control getting in the mix. Sport plus says it has turned traction off, but it is still actually active, just significantly less so.

eddbluespark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by eddbluespark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 am

Jpick11 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm
So Edd and BimRSv4,

are you using this time to make adjustments to the box for us N55's?

I have a 2016 M135i and been looking at the box too, wondering what sort of figures are possible?

Thanks,

James
Hi James,
I will post an update tomorrow or Monday depending how long the testing takes. We are hoping for good improvements. :D

Tooney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Tooney » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Update my car has been diagnosed with a failed Valvetronic motor nothing to do with Bluespark. I would like to thank Ed and Gregg @BS for their advice and giving my box the once over just to be safe. Fantastic service looking forward to getting my car back and running the box. Whilst waiting for my car I've lent the box to my friend who is running Jb4 decat map 2. He says the Bluespark is just as powerful as his Jb4 which is excellent news.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:43 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Jpick11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

eddbluespark wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 am
Jpick11 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm
So Edd and BimRSv4,

are you using this time to make adjustments to the box for us N55's?

I have a 2016 M135i and been looking at the box too, wondering what sort of figures are possible?

Thanks,

James
Hi James,
I will post an update tomorrow or Monday depending how long the testing takes. We are hoping for good improvements. :D

any news? or did you blow the car up? ;)
M135i Arrived Mid June.... and loving it!

Mineral Grey, Red Leather, Heated seats, Manual, 5 door

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO ... wkk3QLqibQ

User avatar
MrG
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by MrG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Also very interested in the N55 version work being done...
M135i 5 Door, MG,Pre-LCI, JB+, MPE

eddbluespark
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by eddbluespark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes there is news, though unfortunately not very exciting.

The car in for testing unfortunately had a full tank of 95RON fuel, which massively limits tuning on these engines. Even as standard it is well worth running the N55 (and in fact almost any modern turbo petrol) on V-Power. When tuned this is even more the case, as is apparent by our results.

We made 100Nm of torque at the bottom end, which is a big improvement. But as soon as the revs started to climb the car started to retard timing. I have to stress that this is happening because of the fuel rather than anything else. If you have a look at the graphs here:

Power graph:
Image

Ignition graph:
Image

You can see that high in the rev range the car has lost up to 12 degrees of ignition advance, which just massively limits any additional power. If we can get this car, or another N55 back on the dyno running V power I am quite confident we will see the kind of figures we all all looking for without making any adjustments to the map on the box. The red line on both graphs is the stock run, and the blue line on both graphs is the tuned run.

Best regards,
Edd

petrolhead
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by petrolhead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Edd

I am a bit confuse re your last post.

I spoke to you a couple of weeks ago about a 235i that I have and you said you were able to supply a tuning box no mention that it was still in development?

Neil b
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by Neil b » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

edd

Just fitted Tim’s box to his 135 that he bought the other day, all I can say is
F!!king hell v v very impressed and he’s not running super yet deff going to
Get one for my 140 . When are you getting a rolling road that Tim said you
Are getting?
Sapphire black M140i ,auto,pro nav/media PAC ,hk,heated seats,
Comfort pack,m sport black grill,carbon mirrors,405 mp wheels

MikeH1163
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by MikeH1163 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Penfold wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 am
MikeH1163 wrote:First post on here, after watching this thread for a while i ordered and installed the blue spark tuning box on my M140i, this was a couple of days ago now and I can definitely feel the difference, 3rd gear pull is where it’s really noticeable in my opinion and that’s just on the default setting C, haven’t tested any of the others out yet.
However I have noticed on a couple of occasions now that when changing up into 3rd from 2nd (manual car) If you rev 2nd out fairly high the revs go dead as soon as you get into 3rd as thou tc is kicking in but this is whilst in sport + and it hangs for too long for that to be the cause, the revs just don’t want to go any higher. Its making all the right noises but its as thou the engines is on a very soft limiter like 1/2 of the power it would usually give at them revs if I had rolled it on in 3rd, you almost have to back out of the throttle and start again, feels like what I imagine a boost leak would feel like but surely not? I could be way off the mark but to me it’s as thou the car believes it’s at full boost after the up shift and it’s actually not until like I said you let off and start again.
Only other bits I have done are a K&N drop in filter and BSC midpipe so wouldn’t expect them to effect anything. Would be good to know if anyone had any ideas as to what the cause maybe or if anyone has experience anything similar in a manual with the bluespark?
I’ve experienced this two or three times, feels like a complete loss of power for a split second. Running map 5 on an auto box.
I’m a bit concerned about Bluespark not wanting to run the car in map 5 in case of AF issues, will maybe drop mine back to default until we hear some more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After expierencing this limiting feeling again this evening in sport +, I turned dsc off after seeing what Edd had said and tried to replicate the problem but it seemed to be gone. Tried it a good few times as well up and down the same stretch of motorway, I’ve now got the box on setting D (pin 4) and the car really pulls.

How have you found it in on setting E? No other issues other than what you mentioned above? I think I’m going to be moving it up another one soon.

Post Reply

Return to “Bluespark Automotive”