Bluespark Tuning Box

Bluespark Automotive provide plug and play performance tuning solutions for Turbocharged Petrol and Diesel vehicles. We cover most BMW models and get great results from them. We are a UK company based just south of Newcastle Upon Tyne, where you are always welcome to call in for a chat.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, eddbluespark

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Bluespark Tuning Box

Post by cadmunkey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am

Tooney wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am
Haha thank you, he is very blinkered in his views. It has certainly ruffled a few Jb4 feathers also. His jb+ was run on the same Dyno he was say bluespark was rubbish. His results were posted all over Facebook by BMS dealers even Blogs written. Yet when mine goes on the same Dyno and beats Jb+ and Jb4 figures it is then called in accurate. Same bloody Dyno ImageImage. Rs tuning said it is the highest powered B58 they have had on their dyno. They even brought up previous Jb4 & Jb+ runs to compare the graphs and results. Job done as far as I'm concerned, I always said this box was running Jb4 decat power and I have proven it does on a Dyno of their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, nice one Tooney, the JB4 lads don't like your graph at all :lol:

Instructor

Post by Instructor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Those that were having problems with this tuning box. Have those issues now been resolved?
I want to get this box but don't want to face the issues the others have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Penfold
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Penfold » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Instructor wrote:Those that were having problems with this tuning box. Have those issues now been resolved?
I want to get this box but don't want to face the issues the others have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No but to be fair I haven’t taken my car in to have it looked at. Need to really!

drifterr
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by drifterr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Ordered one this evening, looking forward to trying it out (fingers crossed for a problem free BS box).
Really do not understand people are worried because its a cheaper alternative.
I'm running MHD stage 2+ on my N54 FBO + inlets and the n20 sensor seeing about 19 psi boost and its been flawless. All that at a grand total of £120.

I had a JB4 on it before the MHD tune and much preferred MHD! Just waiting for MHD on the B58 platfrom, nice to have the gauges and logging etc on the phone!
AW M240i - Full MP kit - MPE - BBS CI-R staggered - M Adaptive W/Motech springs - Carbon & Alacantra trim - fully loaded - VRSF catless DP
Sedona 135i N54 FBO + Inlets - (garage queen)

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 pm

You'll be disappointed coming from Mhd to a tuning box. I was at first it's no where near as smooth. Kind of gotten use to the difference now. But as soon as the car can be flashed the better. These cars run far too lean once we can control the fueling they will be beasts.

M240i Auto, Mineral White, Coral Red Leather, Full Performance Kit & LSD

drifterr
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by drifterr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Tooney wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 pm
You'll be disappointed coming from Mhd to a tuning box. I was at first it's no where near as smooth. Kind of gotten use to the difference now. But as soon as the car can be flashed the better. These cars run far too lean once we can control the fueling they will be beasts.

Yea expecting it to be similar to JB4, tune boxes will never be like a flash. I emailed Martial and his working on the b58 DME hopefully not much longer!
AW M240i - Full MP kit - MPE - BBS CI-R staggered - M Adaptive W/Motech springs - Carbon & Alacantra trim - fully loaded - VRSF catless DP

Tooney
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tooney » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Fingers crossed 🤞

M240i Auto, Mineral White, Coral Red Leather, Full Performance Kit & LSD

drifterr
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by drifterr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Installed the BS tune box yesterday upon receiving it and took the car for a spin.
Left it on the setting it came on, C. Was noticeably quicker and still felt smoothish, not to dissimilar to stock smoothness wise.
Took the car out this evening (still on setting C) and it felt really laggy? Like a massive flat spot up until about 3.5/4k rpm.
I disconnected the BS box for now and took the car back out and it was back to normal.
I'll plug it back in tomorrow and see what happens.

FYI car is ZF8 not manual

Mbateman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mbateman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi all,

My car is a July 2016 M140i, Auto. I always use Shell V Power fuel. The car has no other modifications.

So i've been testing my box and having a few little issues.
Whenever the car is in Sport mode, box settings "D" & "E" cause a sudden and sharp cut in power when starting to accelerate hard. It occurs somewhere around 3-3.5k RPM.
When the car is in Comfort mode the power cut is hit and miss, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't!

I'm now in setting "C" on the box and not had the power cut, however i have had "Drive Train Error" occur 3 times now.

Before fitting the box i had covered 17,000 miles without ever experiencing power cut or the Drive Train Error. This makes me think its purely the box causing me issues.

Matt.

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Could the 'cut' in power be the traction control?

I find if the wheels lose grip the engine power is cut. If you're hard on the throttle at the time it feels like a big cut off in power.

Try it without traction on and see if you still get the cut (although somewhere safe and sensible of course :wink: )

RDowson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RDowson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I find if the wheels lose grip the engine power is cut. If you're hard on the throttle at the time it feels like a big cut off in power.

Try it in Traction mode and see if it's any better.
That's what it sounds like to me.
M140i Shadow Edition - Sunset Orange - M Performance Exhaust - Front Silencer Delete - Bimecc Spacers - Bluespark - Motech Eibach Springs - MP Bump Stops - MP Discs - Goodridge Lines - Powerflex Inserts - Underbelly Brace - Pipercross Filter

Mbateman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mbateman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Try it without traction on and see if you still get the cut (although somewhere safe and sensible of course :wink: )
I'm pretty sure its not traction control. Its a fairly valiant power cut that leads to me coming right off the throttle to get power back.
My traction control light does flash fairly often and cuts the power but nice and smooth. The power cut i've experienced since fitting the box is way more aggressive, like the engine has just dropped out the car!!

LiamH

Post by LiamH » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 am

Mbateman wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm
I'm pretty sure its not traction control. Its a fairly valiant power cut that leads to me coming right off the throttle to get power back.
My traction control light does flash fairly often and cuts the power but nice and smooth. The power cut i've experienced since fitting the box is way more aggressive, like the engine has just dropped out the car!!
I experience the same as what you've described but I do think it's traction control as mine has no hesitation with DSC off.

If I do a full throttle pull in Sport+ starting in second gear, the power delivery isn't consistent and you feel the car being held back at certain points. When I change to third, 9 times out of 10 the car feels like it has no power at all. If you lift off slightly and power back on the car accelerates as it should, or if you leave your foot down the car accelerates slowly to 6k revs then seems to have full power again. No traction lights flashing at any point.

I've tried settings D and E and both do it. E feels marginally faster but I felt more lag between applying throttle and the car responding so went back to D. I may try dropping to setting C as it does feel to me like it's the traction control system reacting badly to the extra power. I experience no hesitation with DSC off but getting the power down is an interesting experience. :shock:

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

Well if you think about it, you're increasing the boost and therefore power to the wheels, so it's more likely to lose traction and have the system kicking in. It does it so quickly that quite often the light doesn't flash, but it limits power where needed.

With the increased power you tend to feel it a bit more and therefore need to be more careful with the right boot in anything but nice dry roads.

I've left mine in C mode and it seems fine. Get the odd hesitation like you describe, but generally on poor/wet surfaces when it's fighting for grip.

Penfold
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Penfold » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s not related to traction control. I find that I notice it most when squeezing the accelerator rather than stamping down, in a higher gear from say 50-70mph. Which would suggest to me it’s the gearbox not liking the extra torque and limiting the power. It’s a lot more harsh than how the traction control feels.
When reviving the engine higher in lower gears it doesn’t seem to do it, just normal traction control intervention.

Return to “Bluespark Automotive”