Decent code scanner for under £75... Or Carly??

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Pabzy

Decent code scanner for under £75... Or Carly??

Post by Pabzy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Seeing as Xmas is round the corner, it's time for me to compile my list to Santa. :fest:

Can anyone recommend a good all round code scanner which I can add to the list? Had a look on eBay but it's a minefield of different ones ranging from £20 up to over £1500 :shock: I think Santa might decline my request if I stick one of them on the list :lol:

Also, has anyone got / used Carly? Keeps coming up on the Google searches and looks good as a diagnostic and coding tool so would be good to hear from those who have it to see how it is.
Cheers
2005 120d. Sydney Blue, Xenons, Black Grills, 18" Deep Dish BBS, Drilled brembos, Tints, LCI Heated Leather, CDV, Swirl Flaps & EGR gone, M Sport interior goodies, Prof HU, HK Subs and Speakers. Time to make it move! 8)

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Decent code scanner for under £75... Or Carly??

Post by AP1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Creator C310 or Carly. Or both.

Jack79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jack79 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:25 am

Very good free code scaner for diesel engine on android scanner is created by our friend from Polish forum
http://www.bmw-klub.pl/forum/viewtopic. ... 0&t=326379

Here are links to free version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... btool.lite

Here is to paid version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ool.expert

The paid version allow you to force DPF regeneration. He is developing this app all the time. It works with carly bt obd. I used it with simple cable connected to phone. If you have questions, you can write to him, he speak english. His nick is pawelgawel. Very simple and usefull app. If you have any sugestion and proposition how to develop this app, write to him, he will do it:) No coding possible for know.

Pabzy

Post by Pabzy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Sounds good, cheers for the post.

I don't have a cable or bt obd yet however if I go down that route I will give this a go. Is there anything else out there like Carly which allows you to code aswell as perform diagnostics?
2005 120d. Sydney Blue, Xenons, Black Grills, 18" Deep Dish BBS, Drilled brembos, Tints, LCI Heated Leather, CDV, Swirl Flaps & EGR gone, M Sport interior goodies, Prof HU, HK Subs and Speakers. Time to make it move! 8)

CrystalKen
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CrystalKen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

2008 E87 130i

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

If it's just for your BM, short of a professional-level tool like Autologic I don't think it gets better than a USB-CAN cable + INPA/NCS.

It will be scary at first but you will soon get the hang of it.
There are loads of things on the diagnostic and coding side that Carly can't do.

https://www.cable-shack.co.uk/products.php
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Pabzy

Post by Pabzy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the post.

I did look at this but INPA has to be downloaded to a laptop or similar to then connect it up to the car.

My laptop is crap and cant hold a charge so this wouldn't be an option. Would rather have something smaller which is easier to use and can be carried around or left in the car.
I am not after anything high end just something which can tell me If the car has an issue so I am better armed when taking it to a garage or trying to fix it myself.

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AP1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:42 pm

See my reply. I have both+DIS+inpa+pa soft+ISTA. The Creator device is handy for live diagnosis as you can display actual against desired values in addition to code reading and clearing.

Carly is great for quick diagnosis, service resets and customising.

Pabzy

Post by Pabzy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for your posts.
I can only add one of these to the list and wanted to know which is best for my needs. Inpa is obviously better but I don't want something I have to have on a laptop as for me it isn't practical.
If you had to pick between Creator and Carly which one would you choose and why?

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AP1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Carly is better for coding and cbs resets. Creator is better for diagnosis. Both can read fault codes and clear. It depends what you want the tool to do.

Pabzy

Post by Pabzy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Diagnosing faults and resetting error messages really. The coding would be a bonus. I suppose creator has the benefit of the live diagnostic which Carly doesn't plus it cheaper so looks this may be the best option.

JPC-BMW
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JPC-BMW » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:09 pm

I’ve had Carly for a while and I think it will probably suit your needs.

There is a facility to measure the engine data in real time in a whole host of different parameters-(not that I know how to make sense of it). However if you are interested it is there.

However if it’s for a quick diagnostic scan so you know of any fault codes before taking it to a mechanic this will do the job.

You can also reset service lights etc.

It works off your phone so is handy and convienent, and they are constantly developing the app with more features and wider compatibility.
2009 E88 118i m-sport convertible

Pabzy

Post by Pabzy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 am

Ah right so does Carly have same features as creator but with the addition of coding?
Like I said, I would be using it to scan for error codes aswell as resetting service lights etc.
I'm not sure now which is better and how they fundamentally differ to each other. Seems to me they do the same thing.

JPC-BMW
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JPC-BMW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 am

I don’t know anything about creator. But have not found a situation where I wish Carly could do more.

I think there is a Carly lite version on the App Store possibly free or very low cost so you can have a look at the software before you buy.

I think the WiFi adaptor was about £40 and the full version of the software from the App Store was about the same price.
2009 E88 118i m-sport convertible

Mcloving

Post by Mcloving » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 pm

:oops: Stupidly I created a similar thread (will delete) about this...

with Carly, I find a lot of contradicting information RE using their Dongle or a generic ELM version.

with those that have used Carly - outside of Coding, does a generic OBD2 wifi adapter work with this app?

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”