123d Fault Diagnosis help required

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

123d Fault Diagnosis help required

Post by Minter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 am

Apologies in advance for the long post, but needs to be done so I can explain what's going on!

I had the car serviced last Thursday, so ALL filters and fresh oil. When I picked the car up the garage owner advised the car is now displaying two warning lights, a red ! in a circle and also the pic of a car on a ramp. It went on the Snap-On diagnostics machine to which is shows an Error of 255%, which is double-dutch but, could relate to the brake pads need replacement - they don't still 5mm left. So they changed the value to 49% and then 39% but the error will not go away, hence the warning lights are still on the instrument binnacle. (The garage owner is a personal friend of mine, so I know there's nothing dodgy going on here!)

On Saturday I took the car to a Rolling-Road event I had organised, it achieved a figure of 202hp at the crank - happy with that, about right for standard. Now, I do know that a previous owner had the DPF removed and a map put on to stop it throwing up errors.

Yesterday (4-days after the Rolling-Road session and just less than a week after the service) I took the car to Celtic Tuning to have their Stage-1 Remap installed, circa 263hp. I explained the recent events to them, and I was hoping the re-map might removed the dash warning lights. I also requested EGR turned off, incase it hadn't been done in the past.

For anyone who hasn't used Celtic, you sit in a waiting room whilst they do their thing with a large TV screen showing your car on the RR. After, they advised me of the figures:

As the car came in (With DPF removal re-map) = 206hp

With the car returned to original map = 195hp

With the Celtic Tuning 263 map = 235hp

Celtic advised me there is something wrong with the car, but they don't have the facilities to determine exactly what however once the fault has been rectified the car will then perform to their re-map's full potential of somewhere around the 263hp figure, and I can take the car back to them where they'll put in on the rollers for free so I can get an up-to-date power figure.

Since the re-map the car is definitely more spritely, it goes through the revs and each power band much quicker. Their seems to be more boost that before, makes the car more of a hoot to drive. So even with just a 30hp advantage I'm pleased, but when I know there's a problem and another 30hp to be gained obviously I am keen to get this sorted out.

In their paperwork was a Bosch diagnosis sheet which shows a fault with the cam position sensor. So I took the car back to my mate's garage, he put it back on the Snap-On Diag and sure enough it does also show Cam Pos Sensor. So then it's the obvious problem, right??! I'm not so sure, and the reason is I know from past experience when a cam or crank sensor goes it ruins the car, in the sense of it conks out, doesn't start etc.... but my car isn't doing any of that, it runs fine!

Any advice?

0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 123d Fault Diagnosis help required

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Replace the cam position sensor.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AP1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm

I think you need a new pad wear sensor, then reset the cbs. BMWs will still start and run with a faulty cam sensor, just may have longer cranking time as it correlates the cam position from the crank sensor.

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

AP1 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm
I think you need a new pad wear sensor, then reset the cbs. BMWs will still start and run with a faulty cam sensor, just may have longer cranking time as it correlates the cam position from the crank sensor.
So you reckon to try the pad wear sensor first, then cam sensor after?

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AP1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:49 pm

It sounds like you have two different faults, cam sensor and pad sensor.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”