First Mod Advice

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Post Reply
kxngy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm

First Mod Advice

Post by kxngy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi guys,

Just picked up my first BMW, it’s a 2008 5D 120D in mineral grey with 67k on the clock.

Only had a brief browse of this forum so not up to scratch with all the abbreviations yet.

It come with the CIC system which I’m not the biggest fan of but I guess it’s better than nothing. The radio is just the business so not the greatest quality and deems some of the steering controls useless.

There’s a few things that I know I’d like to change to the car off the top of my head already and wondered if you guys could help me out with your advice and opinions.

- Swap to the professional radio or fit a double din aftermarket
- Fit an OEM aero spoiler or aftermarket
- Swap out interior lights to white LED
- Fit angel eyes/HID’s
- Fit tweeters

These are just a few things that I’d like to do to my car, although I don’t have the best of knowledge of the difficulty and expense of these mods. So if you guys could give me your thoughts and maybe let me know any other mods that would enhance my E87 let me know!

Cheers 8)

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by AP1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

1st mod, change the oil and filter, next mod change the oil and filter after 10k miles! This’ll help your timing chain last so your mods won’t be wasted.

User avatar
Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1544
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by Toed64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

AP1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm
1st mod, change the oil and filter, next mod change the oil and filter after 10k miles! This’ll help your timing chain last so your mods won’t be wasted.
THIS^^

...and while someone is under there, change the gearbox and diff oil too.

Hello and welcome! :)
2010 E82 N55 135i & 2008 E81 130i...until I decide which to keep!

kxngy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by kxngy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm

It's just been serviced so the garage should have changed the oil. Do the gearboxes usually breakdown around 70k?

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by jimBabyBMW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Interior delete for more space.

FirBim
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by FirBim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

kxngy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm
It's just been serviced so the garage should have changed the oil. Do the gearboxes usually breakdown around 70k?
They might have changed the engine oil (I would check the oil condition by dipstick to be sure) but they won't have done gearbox or diff. These are cheap and easy steps to prevent catastrophically expensive breakdowns.

For an older N47 I would also suggest oil changes at 6-7,000 miles (depending on usage). The filter is less important, it will easily last the >20,000 mile BMW CBS interval, but good fresh oil is vital to avoid unscheduled timing chain disassembly. You can refill with branded LL04 oil for £25 a go, it's a no-brainer.

You do know about the timing chain problem? If not, you need to use the search box. It is a serious engine-wrecking weak point in the N47, and you should familiarise yourself with the warning noise (although sometimes it just goes unexpectedly....)

Don't panic, it's not inevitably fatal. But you need to be aware and manage that risk.

PS - welcome! :)
2010 E87 120d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

AP1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by AP1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Filters don’t last 20k. They collapse. They are very cheap too, £9.03 from CP4LESS.

User avatar
Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1544
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by Toed64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Fitting fresh oil filters each time the oil is changed takes only a few minutes extra and must be a sensible thing to do. They are there to filter out the particulate matter that is supended in the oil...which is exactly what you want to remove.
2010 E82 N55 135i & 2008 E81 130i...until I decide which to keep!

mr_kpt
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by mr_kpt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm

kxngy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm
Hi guys,

Just picked up my first BMW, it’s a 2008 5D 120D in mineral grey with 67k on the clock.

Only had a brief browse of this forum so not up to scratch with all the abbreviations yet.

It come with the CIC system which I’m not the biggest fan of but I guess it’s better than nothing. The radio is just the business so not the greatest quality and deems some of the steering controls useless.

There’s a few things that I know I’d like to change to the car off the top of my head already and wondered if you guys could help me out with your advice and opinions.

- Swap to the professional radio or fit a double din aftermarket
- Fit an OEM aero spoiler or aftermarket
- Swap out interior lights to white LED
- Fit angel eyes/HID’s
- Fit tweeters

These are just a few things that I’d like to do to my car, although I don’t have the best of knowledge of the difficulty and expense of these mods. So if you guys could give me your thoughts and maybe let me know any other mods that would enhance my E87 let me know!

Cheers 8)

Hi,

If you wanna upgrade the audio system, I did a full Alpine audio upgrade, (door speakers, tweeters, under-seat subs), with a ILX-700, (CarPlay) head unit. the sound is amazing and the head unit really upgrades the interior

Also, just got an Aero rear spoiler fitted which makes a huge difference imo.. when I look back, the car seemed really weird without it! Makes the car look really 'beasty' from the back, especially if you've got an m-sport with the staggered 245 tyres

Let me know if you wanna see pics - remap next and then looking to upgrade the exhaust
E87 120d (N47) M-Sport

User avatar
Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1544
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Re: First Mod Advice

Post by Toed64 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 am

mr_kpt wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm
kxngy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm
... remap next and then looking to upgrade the exhaust
If you intend changing the exhaust, do it before you remap because changing the exhaust will alter the back pressure and flow of the exhaust and consequently the response of the turbo. The mapping needs to be optimised to the individual set up of the car.
2010 E82 N55 135i & 2008 E81 130i...until I decide which to keep!

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”