Baby BMW Forum banner

Potentiometer Fault / Wiring Harness

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  simonsichone6 
#1 ·
Does any one have any help on this fault?

The car randomly goes in to limp mode. the EML come on and 2 other lights (sometimes). Scanning the codes brings up that it's a Potentiometer fault.

Searching the web, it comes up with solutions such as tightening the pins/connectors. Or replacing the wiring harness.

I can't see any areas where the cables have been exposed (by rubbing).

The codes I get are:
2CF8 Throttle Valve Potentiometer
2CFA Throttle Valve Potentiometer 2
2CF9 Throttle Valve Potentiometer

is replacing the wiring harness the way to go? if so, how much is the harness? I wouldn't be going to a BMW garage as I've seen they charge around £500 for this

#2 ·
Lots of back and forth on this one. Changed the throttle body and nothing changed. Reset throttle settings, and nothing changed.

However, my mechanic was playing with the cable connecting to the throttle body, and managed to get the error to flag. it seems that if the cable is moved slightly away from the connector the error will appear.

rather than replace the whole wiring harness I have seen kits to replace this section. so this will be then next course of action.

Currently the cable is cable tied in place to stop any movement from the cable. it's been in place for 3 weeks now and no faults. Normally the fault would appear weekly (normally a Wednesday)

Cheaper option that paying £500+ to a BMW garage to replace the wiring. The cost so far has been £25 for a second hand throttle body (from a newer model), and lots of beer to my mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.