BMW Professional Head unit

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: BMW Professional Head unit

Post by bjt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I ordered one from the same seller at the weekend but it's still processing. Did you get a dispatch email?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

tumzilla

Post by tumzilla » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 am

Interested in this thread.

I have a 2005 120d with a professional HU and MFSW. No bluetooth.

Do you think if I order this HU and microphone wiring is all I need to pair my bluetooth phone with the car?
2005 120d

WiseNatcho

Post by WiseNatcho » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for all the info, thought I would give this a try myself.
After a quick search on Ali Express, I found another seller who offers the same part for about a fiver less (still free shipping) and also has very positive feedback.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-DHL ... 9.8.I8B2CT

Orrange28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Orrange28 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:06 am

I saw there Professional radio for 50€ and free shipping.
Suspiciously cheap. :D
E87 (29.09.2008) 118d 300k km and counting :)

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd love to know where these are coming from. Surplus stock now that no production models use them perhaps? Repaired QA rejects?

That seller Shenzhen Easy Electronic says he's shipping mine on Sunday. I ordered a week ago, not sure what the reason for the delay is.
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Wullie71

Post by Wullie71 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Finally got round to the install last night.
Things to note.
Main connector is rotated 180 degrees, nothing to worry about.
Fakra Ariel connector is 90 degrees rotated. I cut a slot in the radio tray at the back to accommodate the coax.
Ran the Mic cable up to overhead lights, the mic supplied was not correct, it was VW. So a bit of hot glue solved that.
I did not bother with the USB, as would need to buy the correct car fitting.
But all in all, phone works, BT works, AUX in now works. So I have a small BT to Aux device, this lets me stream Spotify to head unit, as you can’t Stream direct with the BT on the head unit. So all in all went well and very happy with the new addition.
Thought I would take windscreen airbag covers off and put some anti squeak tape at the bottom while I had the chance.
:D :D :D

Orrange28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Orrange28 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Wullie71 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 pm
Finally got round to the install last night.
Things to note.
Main connector is rotated 180 degrees, nothing to worry about.
Fakra Ariel connector is 90 degrees rotated. I cut a slot in the radio tray at the back to accommodate the coax.
Ran the Mic cable up to overhead lights, the mic supplied was not correct, it was VW. So a bit of hot glue solved that.
I did not bother with the USB, as would need to buy the correct car fitting.
But all in all, phone works, BT works, AUX in now works. So I have a small BT to Aux device, this lets me stream Spotify to head unit, as you can’t Stream direct with the BT on the head unit. So all in all went well and very happy with the new addition.
Thought I would take windscreen airbag covers off and put some anti squeak tape at the bottom while I had the chance.
:D :D :D
Have you noticed the new "bong" sound? :D
Try opening the door with your parking lights On.
Dont you think its too loud°? :D
E87 (29.09.2008) 118d 300k km and counting :)

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Received my radio and mic/usb cable today and threw it in the car for a quick test. Everything works - USB/BT/Radio/CD/Aux/Voice Control/Gongs/Steering wheel buttons. The only thing I haven't tested yet are the PDC beeps. The supplied VW mic and USB cable seem to work fine. Not decided whether to get the genuine USB socket or just run this one into the glovebox.

As mentioned the gongs and voice control are a bit loud. Also, the voice control is in German. This can be changed with coding but I am reluctant to try because so many people talk about losing USB and BT when they try to do that. Others say an ICOM A head is required to code these successfully. I did add $620 (voice control), $6FL (USB) and $6NN (Bluetooth) to my VO before I installed the radio. Don't know if this is needed though.

Overall very pleased, this was a bargain. The part number is the latest listed in Realoem for the radio with BT and USB.
These radios don't have MOST so they're no good if you've got a CD changer or Logic 7.

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:54 am

Tested PDC beeps this morning, they work fine and their volume is fine too. My old Pro HU allowed you to control PDC volume but this one doesn't.

Maybe they set the voice control and gong volume to a loud volume to allow for road noise.
I will be running through an amp anyway so can set the gain a little lower to compensate.

Voice control still in German, to be honest it's a chocolate teapot feature anyway.
Wonder if there's any way to activate Siri/Google voice with the speech button instead of voice control?

EDIT: Just received a bill from DHL for £23 in VAT/customs charges. So a little bit less of a bargain but still good :lol:

Bonxy

Post by Bonxy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm

bjt wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm
Received my radio and mic/usb cable today and threw it in the car for a quick test. Everything works - USB/BT/Radio/CD/Aux/Voice Control/Gongs/Steering wheel buttons. The only thing I haven't tested yet are the PDC beeps. The supplied VW mic and USB cable seem to work fine. Not decided whether to get the genuine USB socket or just run this one into the glovebox.

As mentioned the gongs and voice control are a bit loud. Also, the voice control is in German. This can be changed with coding but I am reluctant to try because so many people talk about losing USB and BT when they try to do that. Others say an ICOM A head is required to code these successfully. I did add $620 (voice control), $6FL (USB) and $6NN (Bluetooth) to my VO before I installed the radio. Don't know if this is needed though.

Overall very pleased, this was a bargain. The part number is the latest listed in Realoem for the radio with BT and USB.
These radios don't have MOST so they're no good if you've got a CD changer or Logic 7.
What is the USB adapter for ? Can you plug your iphone / android in via usb cable and play music or is it for a USB stick ?

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 am

USB stick or an iPod/iPhone with a special cable.

DWE81
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by DWE81 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Any tips on how to run the mic cable up to the overhead light unit?
E81 116i 2009

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am

Played a bit with coding the new HU. Was able to set the vin in Tool32 using c_fg_schreiben, that changes the BT name from "BMW yyyyy" to "BMW (vin no)".

Wasn't able to code it to change the voice control language using a normal K+D can cable, looks like an ICOM A is really needed.
DWE81 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:15 pm
Any tips on how to run the mic cable up to the overhead light unit?
Remove the panel under the glovebox and the passenger A-pillar trim. Prob easiest to start at the microphone end and run it under the headliner (remove visor screw if necessary), down the A pillar, down the side of the dash, across the fuse box and up into the left-hand side of the HU bay.

Prob can go up the drivers side too but I've not tried that before.

doubledot

Post by doubledot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:37 am

Heya!

Also found these on Aliexpress and I am considering ordering and installing one as upgrade to my business headunit.
Can anyone confirm that they managed to get a streaming music connection (A2DP)? I want the new unit to accept my phone calls and play my spotify music over the bluetooth connection :)
bmw e87 2004 116i

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am

doubledot wrote:Heya!

Also found these on Aliexpress and I am considering ordering and installing one as upgrade to my business headunit.
Can anyone confirm that they managed to get a streaming music connection (A2DP)? I want the new unit to accept my phone calls and play my spotify music over the bluetooth connection :)
No A2DP, but what you want to do is possible using a Bluetooth audio receiver connected to the Aux in. Phone can connect to both radio for calls and audio receiver for music at the same time.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”