Baby BMW Forum banner

120D E88 brake upgrade?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  fmn716 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking of doing a brake upgrade on my 120D M sport, does any BMW brakes on any other models bolt straight on? If not Is there any that only need a slight mod to bolt on ? I've seen brembo and others do a conversion but they are rather expensive and Ott for what I'm wanting to do.

#2 ·
M135i fronts are the easiest route to decent brakes, and not that rare anymore either. Calipers, pads and discs all bolt straight on as a package, use E88 wear sensor and brake lines. Technically E90 335i fronts physically fit too, but they're super-heavy single pot calipers, so a downgrade really as they do horrible things to your unsprung weight.

Or, you could just do a 130i conversion. That just means new carriers (longer caliper brackets) and new discs, you don't even need to remove or bleed your calipers.

#4 ·
marco_polo said:
M135i fronts are the easiest route to decent brakes, and not that rare anymore either. Calipers, pads and discs all bolt straight on as a package, use E88 wear sensor and brake lines. Technically E90 335i fronts physically fit too, but they're super-heavy single pot calipers, so a downgrade really as they do horrible things to your unsprung weight.

Or, you could just do a 130i conversion. That just means new carriers (longer caliper brackets) and new discs, you don't even need to remove or bleed your calipers.
Okay thanks for the info will probably look into the M135i conversion, guessing the best place to look out for them is eBay? Also is the rear conversion not really worth it?

#6 ·
fmn716 said:
I am in the process of buying a 120i with a 1uz swap.

So Far I have found that e9x 335i front calipers and discs are a straight swap, but just check to make sure
I would be interested to see the 1JZ swap and how it fits in the car!

Is it stock twins or large single turbo?
What kind of horsepower is it pushing and how does it do with traction?

#7 ·
GeoffCollins said:
fmn716 said:
I am in the process of buying a 120i with a 1uz swap.

So Far I have found that e9x 335i front calipers and discs are a straight swap, but just check to make sure
I would be interested to see the 1JZ swap and how it fits in the car!

Is it stock twins or large single turbo?
What kind of horsepower is it pushing and how does it do with traction?
Myne is a 1uz (Lexus V:cool2:

I plan on upgrading it to a 3uz

Attachments

#10 ·
I've just ordered 335i calipers for my e82, they're actually pretty dam light. I highly doubt it'll effect the unsprung weight at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Muaythaimatt95 said:
I've just ordered 335i calipers for my e82, they're actually pretty dam light. I highly doubt it'll effect the unsprung weight at all.

In my opinion 335i calipers are the best budget calipers for e87

#15 ·
#18 ·
Muaythaimatt95 said:

Where did you order the 335i calipers BMW dealer ? Im just looking to do the same upgrade. Also don't suppose you have the parts numbers that fit the E82 120d Msport 18"alloys.

#19 ·
Tennant said:
Muaythaimatt95 said:

Where did you order the 335i calipers BMW dealer ? Im just looking to do the same upgrade. Also don't suppose you have the parts numbers that fit the E82 120d Msport 18"alloys.
Why don't you just go to the scrap yards

#20 ·
I did this on my e90 328. Sourced a set of 335i calipers on ebay and bought the disks/rotors new. I fitted them myself with no issue and they looked great. I remember doing some 60 to 0 before and after tests and had about a 15ft reduction in braking distance. Total cost was US$386. Would do it again in my e87.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.