Baby BMW Forum banner

Im new to this! BMW E87 Kidney grill opinions?

6K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Murad 
#1 ·
Hey guys I' am brand new to this whole forum and look forward to interacting with you guys! As a young driver, I finally got rid of my old Corsa and bagged myself a 2008 116i M- Sport in Black. Being a complete novel to mods, I wanted to work my way up and what better way to do that than with a simple yet pleasing mod: kidney grills! :)

I want to get an all black glossy grill to replace the current stock chrome frame. Im torn between double slat grills and the usual single slat grills. Anybody got photos of an e87 (doesn't have to be black of course) with single or double slat grills to help me decide? :) I just wanted to get a good contrast of them before making a decision. Any advice is also happily welcome!!

#7 ·
I am selling my 2008 E87 M Sport gloss black kidney grills which are immaculate for £40 posted if anyone is interested? This is my first post on here so apologies if this isn't the right place to post :lol2: (should add too: these are proper BMW ones not cheap ebay ones)

#14 ·
e87beemer said:
Squibby said:
Here's my double slay and single side by side [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks again for the images! May I ask, which grills you ended up keeping in the end? Also, do you have a link/name for the double slat grills you got (Im assuming ebay?)?

Thanks in advance! :)
Kept the double slat ones in and kept the others incase I get bored of them haha, yes I got them off eBay and did have to heat the clips and bend them so they would clip in as they would pull out the bumper easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Murad said:
Ive been looking everywhere but I cant find myself a pair of double slat glossy kidneys for the M sport bumper. Think you could find the seller you bought them off?
Not the person you replied to (they don't appear to have been online in a couple of years) but that's the M Sport bumper on a coupe, not a hatchback. Your E87 needs the grilles with pointy corners, coupe/convertible grilles won't fit.

#18 ·
Dave1 said:
Is it these? Not sure what the quality will be like, I have the sharper corners so if you get these or any doubles, let us know what you think.

Nyxeris said:
Not the person you replied to (they don't appear to have been online in a couple of years) but that's the M Sport bumper on a coupe, not a hatchback. Your E87 needs the grilles with pointy corners, coupe/convertible grilles won't fit.
Oh I didnt know there was a difference, thanks!
Thanks Dave, will order them and let you know

#19 ·
Yes, please do, I might fancy a swap from my single slats. Be careful when cleaning them, very soft cloth if you have to touch them at all. Apply a decent sealant and PW alone normally means no real touching needed and blow dry if possible. :D

#20 ·
Keep in mind those ones linked above on eBay are e9x design, not e8x. Whilst they might fit they look terrible IMHO.

Take note of the wide bar at the top of them.

#21 ·
As promised, a picture of the mentioned grille. I dig the full glossy black colour and the double slats. I definitely have to get used to the thick upper part, not sure if I like that yet.

Mounting wasnt plug&play, needs a bit of warming the mounting clips with a heat gun so they can be adjusted to have a slightly wider fit, easy to do and took about 5 minutes.

#22 ·
Murad said:
As promised, a picture of the mentioned grille. I dig the full glossy black colour and the double slats. I definitely have to get used to the thick upper part, not sure if I like that yet.
Thank you for the update, I wondered how you had got on. I understand what you mean about the thicker part but you are possibly being more critical of them being on your own car. Naturally, you want it to look at it's best and be happy yourself. Give them a bit of time to see if you adjust, in the end it only really matters what you like. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.