Runflats rear front non runflats

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ukmonkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Runflats rear front non runflats

Post by ukmonkey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Got 2 new conti runflats on the rear but front are due to be changed. Will it affect the car if I replace front with non runflats ? Anyone done this ? Will change the rear once they have worn out.
Last edited by ukmonkey on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Space Gray 120d m sport

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Runflats rear front non runflats

Post by marco_polo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:34 pm

If you have to mix tyre types (and your insurance company is happy for you to do so), the way around you're proposing is the safest. It's when people fit proper tyres on the back and Runcraps on the front, that the car becomes unstable.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Trojantrow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Trojantrow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I've not done it myself yet. But to be honest, it's common knowledge on here that it will affect it. But Its how much it affects it that matters. For instance. Buying 94 extra load tyres and running the fronts at a higher psi to compensate and get the balance right. And not driving like a b*** end will help.. If you drive fast all the time then it will affect it more I would say. But someone is about to give you a proper answer I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ukmonkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ukmonkey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:34 pm
If you have to mix tyre types (and your insurance company is happy for you to do so), the way around you're proposing is the safest. It's when people fit proper tyres on the back and Runcraps on the front, that the car becomes unstable.
Good point never thought about the insurance!
2010 Space Gray 120d m sport

Trojantrow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Trojantrow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Im no expert but I heard that insurance doesn't have anything to do with run flat vs non run flat tyres. I thought it was all about having the correct sizes,load rating and speed rating. If this could be confirmed that would be great as I'm doing this very soon. Not questioning you Marco as you know alot more than me. Just would be nice to know.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Trojantrow wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm
Im no expert but I heard that insurance doesn't have anything to do with run flat vs non run flat tyres. I thought it was all about having the correct sizes,load rating and speed rating. If this could be confirmed that would be great as I'm doing this very soon. Not questioning you Marco as you know alot more than me. Just would be nice to know.

It seems to vary from company to company. I've been refused insurance in the past for swapping to (the correct size and rating) winter tyres in the winter, to make my car less likely to be in an accident! Other companies have said they literally couldn't give a flying feck, as long as they have at least 1.6mm of tread on 3/4 of the tyre!!

Check with your company, don't take anything for granted, especially if you're getting advice from some random douche-bag on the internet.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

michaele82

Post by michaele82 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:43 pm

What about those of you who have gone for the slightly wider tyres when going from runflats to normal, have you told your insurance about the size change? If so did it affect your premium?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Always check with your insurance company before making any and all modifications from standard spec.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”