Baby BMW Forum banner

Reluctor Rings

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  emmpii 
#1 ·
Guys I am having issues with the ABS light coming on. It's doing my head in, straight line motorway driving and turning left mostly.

Looking at the forums I can diagnose it's the reluctor rings and maybe sensors.... I don't have the tools or knowledge to undertake the fix myself. I've brought the parts but can you believe I can't get anywhere to do the work for me.

1 place is saying as there is no fault code they can't diagnose, another place is saying the reluctors never go on these and another place refuses to just replace the rings and insists on doing the both sides driveshaft. Lol that last quote was just a shy under £800!!!

So my question is does anyone have any recommendations within say a 25 mile radius of Coventry that will actually just do the reluctor rings for me..

Please :)

#2 ·
Some garages are utter crap........ Cant diagnose without a code is a total cop out, at least do the basics and have a look and scan it
Any garage worth going to would know how common this is

Drive the car with diagnostic equipment connected will show the fault anyway

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Absolutely agree, they basically tried flipping it on me, saying they were doing me a favour. Not doing unnecessary work etc only for something else to go.

I've contacted loads of people just can't find someone to do it. There's a guy in Northampton, he said he can do the reluctor rings but doesn't know price. I don't wanna drive it there for him to turn round and say he wants £000s outta me.

I get I gotta pay but looking at others posts it shouldn't run that much in costs

#4 ·
Doesn't surprise me that garages don't want to work for their money..... :rollseyes:

All they want to do is chuck a new part on and that's it. Absolute idiots.

Both require the shaft to come out anyways and that's the hardest part! Pure laziness.

#7 ·
I've had this fixed on two of my one series now and can recommend a good low
Priced garage to do this they are Twickenham just off the A316/M3.

The parts hardly Cost anything so you need to find a good garage who don't mind spending a bit of time and getting the drive shaft(s) off.

#9 ·
maverickuk1 said:
I have the same issue but have cured mine via simply taking out the abs sensor cleaning the bottom and replacing but not letting it go all the way home giving just enough clearance to allow the sensor to work properly, it is only a temporary fix but will buy you some time
Its only a few thou, i filed the ring down on the high spots. Used a feeler gauge to work out how much. At 96000 and done it twice now.

#10 ·
RickSkye said:
maverickuk1 said:
I have the same issue but have cured mine via simply taking out the abs sensor cleaning the bottom and replacing but not letting it go all the way home giving just enough clearance to allow the sensor to work properly, it is only a temporary fix but will buy you some time
Its only a few thou, i filed the ring down on the high spots. Used a feeler gauge to work out how much. At 96000 and done it twice now.
This will be a temporary fix

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Any fix will be temporary. New reluctor rings will eventually rise up again
So just done the right hand side, took an hour or so. Looks like about 3 times in 100000 miles. Pays your money (or not in my case) and takes your choice.
But i will say it takes a bit of patience and i always seem to be doing it in the rain.[emoji17][emoji17]

Re lifting up the sensor.
I would be a bit concerned that its getting too far from the reluctor ring and won't act as it is supposed to.
I don't have a definitive gap, but i use a .1 mm feeler gauge as that was the greatest gap i measured when things started going wrong.
Not saying you are wrong, just my thinking.
[emoji38]

#12 ·
I got these done on mine a couple of months ago. Bought two reluctor rings and two rear sensors off eBay for about £30 total and my garage charged me £90 for removing old ones and replacing with these and using the permanent fix method in the sticky thread. Any garage worth anything should be able to do this and know what reluctor rings are and roughly how to change them, regardless of whether they run a diagnostic or not. Though if they've never had one of your type of car in then they may take longer due to doing for first time as my mechanic says its awkward on BMW as you need to remove lots more bits than on most other cars and in a specific order too. I didn't fancy doing it myself so just feeding back what they said.

#13 ·
Bunford said:
I got these done on mine a couple of months ago. Bought two reluctor rings and two rear sensors off eBay for about £30 total and my garage charged me £90 for removing old ones and replacing with these and using the permanent fix method in the sticky thread. Any garage worth anything should be able to do this and know what reluctor rings are and roughly how to change them, regardless of whether they run a diagnostic or not. Though if they've never had one of your type of car in then they may take longer due to doing for first time as my mechanic says its awkward on BMW as you need to remove lots more bits than on most other cars and in a specific order too. I didn't fancy doing it myself so just feeding back what they said.
Good price for the rear sensors.

#16 ·
Ellz1996 said:
I have the same problem with my offside rear.

If anyone could recommend a garage in or around North London that will replace the reactor ring and abs sensor for a reasonable price I'd be grateful!

I've been quotes in excess of £400!
In Leicester, I paid £100 to get both my rings put on.

We spent almost half a day trying to get the rings off my car and just couldn't, tried wd40 and heat on the driveshaft and just couldn't. Best bet was to get it sent to garage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.