Baby BMW Forum banner

ABS DSC

759 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  maverickuk1 
#1 ·
Hi all Ive just bought a 2007 120d 1 series the one with the built in sat nav etc, it has the abs dsc handbrake light all lit up and I have read so many different things about this from it being the alternator to something to do with the steering coloum. When I start the car sometimes none of the lights are lit and the car drives but the traction control goes mad causing loss of power (turning off dsc solves this) which makes me think reluctor rings or abs sensor but then after a few miles all 3 will light and the car will drive normal but then on other occasions from the off all the lights are lit. Has anyone got a definitive what it could be ive had the ABS faults read and I have the following codes

5DF7 system voltage too high
5DE2 brake pad wear: brake pads front axle

any help would be very appreciated

many thanks

#2 ·
I've been having this problem off and on for a couple of months. The first time it happened I needed a new reluctor ring on the driver side and last week my wheel speed sensor went on the passenger side. Both of these can cause the lights you describe. Strange that your car has only logged those two faults as it should show something else causing your warning lights

#4 ·
If I were a betting man I would also say reluctor rings but the internet has crowded my mind thinking and got a million things going through my head, its going the garage on Monday to be plugged in and driven for the live data,

does anyone know if the front reluctor rings are the same as the rear ones?

#5 ·
just thought id close this with the result, removed the front abs sensors yesterday and had no signs of wear etc so today I took the rears out and they have worn but as I had no replacements I gave them a clean popped them back in lightly and went for a drive by the time I got to the top of my road all lights had gone out and no traction control cutting in and losing power. So went for a 10 minute drive and still no lights or power loss so it seems ive inadvertently cured it for now. I know its not a permanent fix but at least the looming MOT wont be as expensive as first thought

thanks all for the replies

#7 ·
I was going to try that today marco its what I will do next if they come back on, my main concern now is the clutch is knackered for some reason it didn't seem all that bad with the traction control off what with the ABS fault but since sorting that if I give the car some wellie the clutch slips. The clutch was noisey before but now I can drive it some distance the more I drive it the louder the dual mass rattle is on tick over

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.