FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2013

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Kittybmw

Re: FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Post by Kittybmw » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:53 pm

So finally managed to have a look and found it's the n/s ,the reluctor looks ok but something was definitely rubbing on the sensor,I put a washer inbetween the sensor and the housing to pull it out a mm and it drove fine so will be sorting it in the near future, the for your help on this Marco 👍
Silver 2009 118d es n47 front 8.5 x18 rear 9 x 18 with rolled arches

Stealth328Ci
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: FAQ - Traction Control Errors / Random braking / Instability Problems / ABS & DTC Issues

Post by Stealth328Ci » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've been on and posted anything but it would seem that I am the latest one to be having these DTC/ABS errors on my car.

Started yesterday when all of a sudden a warning came up on the dash and the drive showing an ABS warning, Driving Stability warning, DBC failure, FTM system error and Start Assistance inactive.

I have read various articles across the net and found speculation that it could be a ABS sensor, speed sensor, ABS unit fault, Reluctor ring failure etc.

I'll be taking the car into my indy that usually works on my car and will post on what the diagnosis and remedy is.

Cheers

Stealth,
Titan Silver E82 125i M Sport Coupe

Stealth328Ci
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stealth328Ci » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Hey Guys,

Quick update as to what the garage told me this morning, basically I should disconnect the battery myself and leave it for 30mins.

See if the fault returns and then come back to them because some of the sensors may not be talking to each other.

Thanks that's fine if I were asking how to fix it myself but I wasn't. I've now booked it elsewhere and will be dropping it off tomorrow.

Stealth

Stealth328Ci
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stealth328Ci » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Update

The car was inspected by an independent local to me and my place of work and several hours later it was confirmed that one of the speed sensors was the cause of all the faults!
Amazing to think how one sensor could take out 4 separate systems! Albeit they’re all related to braking!
They replaced it (off side rear) and on collection relieved me of £110 for doing so! I’m not complaining...
Not bad in my opinion considering BMW wanted £99 just to take a look and couldn’t get me in till Monday 19th!
Glad to have my car back and back to full power and able to stop properly!

Stealth

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Stealth328Ci wrote:Update

The car was inspected by an independent local to me and my place of work and several hours later it was confirmed that one of the speed sensors was the cause of all the faults!
Amazing to think how one sensor could take out 4 separate systems! Albeit they’re all related to braking!
They replaced it (off side rear) and on collection relieved me of £110 for doing so! I’m not complaining...
Not bad in my opinion considering BMW wanted £99 just to take a look and couldn’t get me in till Monday 19th!
Glad to have my car back and back to full power and able to stop properly!

Stealth
Result mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Stealth328Ci
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stealth328Ci » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Twenny,

I know it could have been a lot worse so yeah very happy that it was only a speed sensor and a very reasonable cost in the grand scheme of things.

Dayo1175

Post by Dayo1175 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi all.
How do I know what e number my BMW 1 series is? I need to replace driveshaft both sides and theres so many variables. :?

SpaceTofu
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SpaceTofu » Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Dayo1175 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 pm
Hi all.
How do I know what e number my BMW 1 series is? I need to replace driveshaft both sides and theres so many variables. :?
hey Dayo1175,
this website has quite a comprehensive list

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... explained/
E87 116d 2010 N47

116i_diy

Post by 116i_diy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:27 pm

I just had this issue with my 2005 116i. First symptom was complete loss of power 4 weeks ago while driving on Motorway at 70mph and flashing DTC warning on dash. After pulling over and restarting car issue did not reappear until last week when the random braking started to occur at all speeds.

Both ABS reluctor rings and corresponding sensors were replaced by indy BMW (Clayton Cars) for £550 including VAT.

If it has not already happened to you or if you are considering buying an older e87 definitely factor this into your maintenance budget.

Danjones777

Post by Danjones777 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am

Hi all,

I've just noticed this thread. I posted about my issues in a separate subject yesterday, I'm just wondering if anyone related to this thread has any advice. My traction control issues started around 4 months ago, all the same symptoms as have been explained here. Two new Reluctor rings cured it for around 5 weeks then I had the DTC light flashing again. The flashing and resulting braking had been occurring more frequently, approx every 30/40miles (every 3/4 journeys to work for me). I had both sensors replaced yesterday for genuine BMW sensors (garage showed me the invoice from BMW this morning). Since they have been changed, on both journeys especially on the motorway, the car is even worse. DTC light flashing 10x more often. What has gone wrong, is there a specific distance that the rings need to be from the sensors? The basic diagnostics test doesn't read any errors. How can I tell where my problem is coming from. The car is booked back in on Monday where they will fully inspect the sensors and rings etc. Are there any pointers I can give them? I've spent £400 altogether trying to resolve this issue and by putting two new sensors on I've only made it worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:34 pm

I would want to see the live data (via laptop or decent code reader) coming from all four ABS sensors. Obviously all four should be giving the same wheel speed, so I'd expect to see (at least) one anomaly.

An output check with a stationary car is useless.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Danjones777

Post by Danjones777 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:26 pm

So there is a possibility it could be the front ABS sensors?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:11 pm

It's certainly possible, Twenny has gone through 2 fronts recently I believe.
Twenny wrote:?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Danjones777

Post by Danjones777 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:29 pm

The fact that the new rings cured it for 5 weeks, and the new back sensors making the symptoms drastically worse yesterday would surely suggest that it's something to do with the back? But I'll certainly get them to produce some live data for all 4 sensors. I'll try anything at the moment

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Danjones777 wrote:The fact that the new rings cured it for 5 weeks, and the new back sensors making the symptoms drastically worse yesterday would surely suggest that it's something to do with the back? But I'll certainly get them to produce some live data for all 4 sensors. I'll try anything at the moment
Yes both sensors have failed within a couple of months of each other.

Most annoying as I could of bought 2 at the same time and saved £20.

My fault was popping up every time I started engine but last night it had mysteriously disappeared.

I’ll change it anyway once the sensor arrives.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2013)”