Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 116i Engine codes P0133 & P1168

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Simzy 
#1 ·
Hi there!

Recently bought myself an '04 E87 116i, ran about 150k kms and had the chain replaced about 10k kms ago according to its service history log (the booklet with the car manual). Love the drive, such an upgrade from my 2000 VW Polo :cool2:

I have driven it about 2000kms before the check engine light came on. After checking it and asking the seller of the car, he thought it would be the car coming from stationary for a few months to my 2hr-a-day commute and had some residue/dirt floating around. Reset the P0133 and P1168 warning and a week later again the check engine light and these codes. No noticable loss in power, average fuel consumption and performance.

However, I do notice a high pitch squeal, that reminds me of a bust caster wheel on a trolley or shopping cart. It sometimes become louder while steering a long and low angle corner on a country road. Also when turning off the engine you can hear this squeal a second or 2 longer then the engine revs. Have read some stories on here about power steering pump, but not sure about this.

Do you guys have any thoughts on it?

#2 ·
If you had a diesel, I'd have to say you hav a failing fuel pump (about the right age/mileage to consider that). Given you have a petrol, I suppose thats still a possibility, but thats not my area of experience. Would explain one of the codes and a squealing metal-on-metal noise thats not directly related to engine running.

Is it less noticable with a full fuel tank?

#3 ·
Nottsknots said:
If you had a diesel, I'd have to say you hav a failing fuel pump (about the right age/mileage to consider that). Given you have a petrol, I suppose thats still a possibility, but thats not my area of experience. Would explain one of the codes and a squealing metal-on-metal noise thats not directly related to engine running.

Is it less noticable with a full fuel tank?
Hmm, that does sound like a very possible cause to me. Would indeed explain the codes and possibly also the squeal.
Also, on a cold engine I feel a very grumpy / sensitive throttle/clutch ratio in 1st gear and reverse. Might be caused by lean running?

I just passed the 1/4th full mark on fuel, will have to fuel up tomorrow i guess. Will check if it is noticably different.

#4 ·
So, since I wasn't sure anymore if I really could hear a difference or was just looking for it, got it checked out by a BMW dealer today.

Apparently two seperate issues:

1) Tensioners on the belt running the dynamo (or is it generator in english? charging the battery..) are bust which is making the awkward noises

2) Lambda sensor is failing, giving wrong values which spits out erorcodes on weird places and making the engine run off-balance.

They say that replacing the tensioners will cost me approx 200euros (180gbp) and the sensor 170euros (150gbp). Also warned me that a failing lambda sensor is regulary causing mallfunction on the catalyst and this will run another 700euro's or so. Really not pleased with the outcome, but if this fixes all the issues I am still a happy driver with my 1er!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.