Baby BMW Forum banner

Strange issue

472 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jimmy-120sport 
#1 ·
Right my car has the triangle lighting effect again lol I know my rings could do with replacing but spacing one of them with a 6mm spacer worked for a year but then the dreaded lights reappeared, it's going in on Thursday to have the rings replaced. Right The strange issue I'm having( I've taken ownership of car again as bought the wife a nice f30) started a few months ago, got a text message from wife saying she was driving to work and the car had thrown up the yellow steering lock warning and at the same time the speedo stopped working. After work she started car and all was ok again, well apart from all the ABS/traction control/tyre pressure lights lol. This happened frequently and since I've taken ownership of the car I can get it to do it at will by turning right (generally right roundabouts, long right hand bends are fine). Also when it happens and you stop the car and remove the keys it doesn't make the loud locking noise but if you put the keys in and out a few times the noise returns!

Has anyone else had these problems before, I've read some where that the speedo is fed from the back passenger speed sensor but would this bring on the other warning lights? Could this be steering angel sensor related? I will see how it is after the rings are replaced.

Hope this makes sense lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesnt sound like its rings or angle sensor (not saying it isnt, but doesnt seem the right symptoms).

Its possible the steering lock is defective; its a "known" problem - not very common, but emough for me to have heard about it several times. It's possible there is a faulty connector under there, or worst case, wiring (good luck locating problems in wiring looms).

HOWEVER, all that said, there are two things worth checking before worrying about getting into that:
1) do you have parking sensors, and have you checked for the PDC flooding in the boot? That plays havoc withe electrics, giving all sorts of unpredictable results. Mine started throwing up all sorts of problems, but initially was noticable under acceleration (as the water sloshed around). Others have reported plenty of miscellaneous symptoms before finding the flood.
2) how old is your battery? If the battery voltage is low, again, all h3ll breaks loose with the electrics. Beemers are very sensitive beasts when it comes to failing batteries. Measure the voltage after the car has been sitting (preferably overnight) to avoid false voltage readings from residual charge. Also worth measuring with the engine running to check its charging properly.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Cheers for the info :wink:

I thought it could be battery related as I know the yellow steering lock warning seemingly has an internal clock and after "X" amount of times will go to a red warning but the yellow warning must have been on at least 40+ times and still no red warning, I'm thinking it has to be something related to the abs rings/sensors as tonight on my way home on the motorway on a long right handed bend car was fine till I went over what I can best describe as a slight lip/change of tarmac and the instant the rear wheels hit this I got the yellow steering lock warning and no speedo! The car does have a couple of worn bushes (front passenger tension strut and rear drivers side upper control arm- trw m3 tension arms & LCA's getting ordered ASAP) and makes for an interesting (keeps you on your toes) drive.

I will check the battery but it's only a couple of years old but will see :rollseyes:

#6 ·
marco_polo said:
For speedo issues, I'd usually say check your reluctor rings.
For ABS/TC lights, I'd usually say check your reluctor rings.
For RH corner issues, I'd usually say check your reluctor rings.
For cruise control issues, I'd usually say check your reluctor rings.

Cheers Marco :wink: it's going in on Thursday to have them replaced, fingers crossed it sorts it! I had a nosey under the car earlier and both rear rings have shiny spots on them :rollseyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.