Baby BMW Forum banner

Rear Subframe

700 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tbt 
#1 ·
Can anybody confirm whether or not all E8/E9 rear subframes are the same please?

I'm looking to replace all the rear bushes on my E81 and am considering getting a 2nd hand subframe to refurbish in the process.

#3 ·
If you're going to that much trouble, you could buy a rear subframe from a V8 M3 and get a set of nice bushes pre-fitted. There are frequently a couple listed on ebay.

#4 ·
marco_polo said:
Double check the part numbers on Realoem, but they should all be the same.
Initial Realoem searches seem to suggest they are indeed the same.

Toed64 said:
If you're going to that much trouble, you could buy a rear subframe from a V8 M3 and get a set of nice bushes pre-fitted. There are frequently a couple listed on ebay.
That is definitely on my radar but most salvage items will need the bushes replacing anyway. In which case I can just pop M3 items into any subframe... I think...

#5 ·
DC11 said:
marco_polo said:

Toed64 said:
That is definitely on my radar but most will salvage items will need the bushes replacing anyway. In which case I can just pop M3 items into any subframe... I think...
Yes you can, but M3 subframe is ally I believe. Not cast.

#6 ·
0l0dom0l0 said:
DC11 said:
marco_polo said:

Toed64 said:
That is definitely on my radar but most will salvage items will need the bushes replacing anyway. In which case I can just pop M3 items into any subframe... I think...
Yes you can, but M3 subframe is ally I believe. Not cast.
I think the front subframe may well be aluminium, but the V8 M3 rear looks like steel:

#7 ·
All front subframes are aluminium whether M or non-M (All non-M are actually the same part number!)

The rears subframes are all steel but the M3 one is a much thicker gauge steel and is noticeably heavier.

On my 130i I fitted an M3 subframe for ease as I bought a complete rear end from an M3 so fitted it with all the arms and ARB.
Even though I now have a Quaife I find the M3 ARB still too stiff and it's unweights the inside wheel without too much effort causing slippage.

The most important fact about the swap to M rear subframe if you keep non-M hubs is that neither non-M or M3 toe arms will be compatible due to the M3 subframe toe arm fixing point being further outboard than non-M. The non-M toe arm will be far too long to even install and the stock M3 toe arm will not allow toe to be adjusted far enough in; you would have slight toe out which is not good on the back.

I discovered this the hard way and now use Megan racing adjustable toe arms in M3 fitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.