Baby BMW Forum banner

Engine oil - Advice

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  G.P 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I looking at changing the engine oil in my car in the next week or two but I've got a couple of questions before I do.
On my old cars I would suck the engine oil out using an oil vacuum extractor as it would save removing the under tray and rolling around on the floor, How do people remove the oil in their cars, do you use the drain plug or oil vacuum extractor ?

Which oil would you recommend for a 120D (177bhp) ? Halfords is coming up with Castrol Edge 0W/30 or their own brand and PETRONAS oil 5W/30 ?
I'm happy to not go with longer life oil as I'm not a fan of oil being used for 20k miles, I would rather change the oil at 10/12k miles, Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

#2 ·
When I do my oil change (N47) its ramps as sump drain plug out. Dont trust an extractor to get all the oil out. TBH even after 1 hour there are still drips of oil. I use Castrol 0w30 but may consider 5w30 to be honest I dont think the brand matters as long as it LL04. Max 7k between changes though.

#4 ·
Drain from sump. No need to remove undertray there is a flap that allows access to sump plug.

Castrol for me.

#6 ·
0l0dom0l0 said:
Drain from sump. No need to remove undertray there is a flap that allows access to sump plug.

Castrol for me.
This is why I will never own an Audi again! Front Bumper off my TT to change the oil filter - mind you it was a stupid car to begin with!

#7 ·
And Petronas seems to be fine - I have been using it for a few years now as you can usually get it cheap from ECP when they do an oil code, mind you im sure Halfords own brand would be ok if its LL04

#9 ·
G-Force 5w-30 or 40 (made by carlube) from OpieOils.com is what my cars get - LL04 and is around £20 for 5L :wink:

Oil is oil just make sure it's changed often, this is what some people forget.

#10 ·
Rarebit said:
0l0dom0l0 said:

Castrol for me.
This is why I will never own an Audi again! Front Bumper off my TT to change the oil filter - mind you it was a stupid car to begin with!
Which model (engine) TT was that?

MontegoBlue said:
If only oil was all the same by each band..

#11 ·
MontegoBlue said:
Don't be lulled into this trap. If oil was oil, castrol and other big brands wouldn't exist ;)

#12 ·
G.P said:
Rarebit said:
0l0dom0l0 said:

Castrol for me.
Which model (engine) TT was that?
It was the 3.2 v6 - full undertray off to get to the sump too. Was such a PITA to work on!

#13 ·
0l0dom0l0 said:
MontegoBlue said:
Don't be lulled into this trap. If oil was oil, castrol and other big brands wouldn't exist ;)
If oil was oil, then surely when using any brand of oil within the same engine in the same car covering the same millage, you would expect the same oil usage??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.