Baby BMW Forum banner

Oil Leak ~ Hard to find!

734 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Nottsknots 
#1 ·
E87 hatchback 2005 120i
Last 12 months I've noticed a small oil leak on concrete floor, approx centre-line of car about 1 metre from front.
It's pretty insignificant, but I need to find it!
Any potential spots to look? Most likely?.... No smell of oil!

RegardZ.

#2 ·
Hang on a minute, no smell of oil? Do you mean theres no smell from around the engine generally, or no smell from whats on the concrete? (Lets clear any potential ambiguity before we get into this :) ).

I think it'll be almost impossible to diagnose an oil leak over the internet, especially without closer inspection and pictures. As far as I'm aware, there are no "common" locations for oil to escape. At that age, it could be just about anywhere. It might not even be a leak if it was topped up with some spillage working its way down the engine over weeks and months.

I think the only way to have more of a clue is to get the covers off (top and bottom of engine), and get a torch out. Even then, signs of oil may be misleading, so its a question of photo anything that looks suspicious, wipe,it clean, and then wait a few weeks to see if any return (hence the photos, for comparison - human visual memory is utter cr@p).

Also worth considering/eliminating other fluids (contaminated coolant, gearbox oil, atf from steering). Unlikely to be anything like brake fluid or contaiminated aircon condensate on the centreline. That said, just because its on the centreline doesnt mean much, as fluid can travel across the lower cover, and only finds a way down when it reaches the bolt hole in the middle.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Sorry I'm talking about smell of oil in the cabin... when the cam cover gasket or vacuum pump seal leaks there is always a tell=tail smell of oil in the cabin... It is mainly because the oil runs onto the exhaust manifold and give an oily smell.

Oil leaks are usually where gaskets and seals are defective or something has not been torque up.
Often with a clean engine, talc powder can be puffed onto the suspect areas, hence, defining where a leak would be evident.

I'm trying to short-cut my investigation by asking others that may have had a similar problem.... Knowing the approx. position where the oil finally falIs. Agree with the use of a torch. This is a low milage (wife's 's car) extremely clean and has not leaked before.

I don't think it will be necessary to overhaul the car to find a tiny leak.
Thanks for posting anyway!
RegardZ

#4 ·
Bump.... Maybe Nottsknots is correct and it is too hard to diagnose an oil leak over a forum? Also, there are no common areas where oil leaks are prevalent!
RegardZ

#7 ·
Thanks guys, think i've nailed it ... Filter housing.... after oil change and fitting new filter oil drops on ground, are no longer!
I hope its not short term and more oil accumulates.
RegardZ.

#9 ·
Good work. Always a relief when its proper-fixed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.