Baby BMW Forum banner

Swirl flaps

785 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MSM 
#1 ·
I've been reading though a few threads on this forum is there anywhere I can get swirl flap blanks are they 22 or 33 mm I can only find ones for the m47 engine are they the same I know very little on these and have only read that they can cause some serious issues my car's being mapped a week tomorrow and ideally want it done before mapping to play it safe any info links and advise would be really appreciated
PS I've got a 2007 e82 123d

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't need any blanks. When I removed the swirl flaps on my old 123d I just took the manifold off and removed all the flaps and associated components and then epoxied in the lever which normally connected to the actuator, it was completely air tight.

Its all self explanatory once you get the manifold off the engine, id definitely advise you to replace all the related seals as when I removed mine they were rather worn and needed replacing.

#3 ·
TCR94 said:
You don't need any blanks. When I removed the swirl flaps on my old 123d I just took the manifold off and removed all the flaps and associated components and then epoxied in the lever which normally connected to the actuator, it was completely air tight.

Its all self explanatory once you get the manifold off the engine, id definitely advise you to replace all the related seals as when I removed mine they were rather worn and needed replacing.
Where can I get the seals to are they the orange squarish ones?

#4 ·
Just buy a kit with proper blanks for £25. It comes with all the seals you need.

I don't know what size you keed. Check ebay.

#6 ·
Joshwilliams123d said:
Something along the lines of these

Yes that's the bit I've just bought but with 6 for my dad's 5 series.

Does the job perfectly

#10 ·
I have been looking into this too. My car is a 2005 118D and wondering whether its worth it? Also, how tricky of a job is it on the 118D M47 engine?

#13 ·
When I removed my swirl flaps I got a n47 swirl flap rod bung from SF performance (on amazon or eBay). It has two o rings and neatly seals the hole the rod went through into the manifold when you remove the flaps, bearings and actuator rod. There are a number of threads on removing the flaps on the 123d n47, search is your friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.