E82 Spoiler

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Post Reply
Sam-w
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am
Location: Burntwood

E82 Spoiler

Post by Sam-w » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all,

I’m looking to get a carbon fibre spoiler for my E82. I’ve seen the BMWP one for £280 but was wondering if anybody has any experiences with the cheaper ones on eBay? (£140)

Do they fit perfectly and line up as they should? If anyone has used one of these could you provide a link to the spoiler you used.

Or is it better to just spend the money and buy the genuine spoiler?

Thanks Sam.

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by Mike_RS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 am

SSDD do a carbon spoiler, never heard anybody complain about the fit/ finish. I would personally stay away from eBay for a cheap version, too many have poor fit issues.

http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/index.ph ... uct_id=404
Black sapphire metallic - E82 N55 135i - BMWP Mirrors/ Suspension/ Brakes - Gloss Black 261 wheels - LED Darklines

jtimkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by jtimkey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am

Any chance you can point me to a photo of the BMWP one?
thanks
john
E82 135i M Sport 2008

Sam-w
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am
Location: Burntwood

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by Sam-w » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

So today i picked up a BMW Performance Carbon Fibre spoiler, they supplied it with an adhesive kit.

What would people recommend to use to fit the spoiler? i was thinking of using the adhesive, but they said it would need a day to set. Also i don't have a garage or a unit to store the car in while its going off. Not sure if the outside temperatures (currently around 5 degrees centigrade) would affect the curing time of the adhesive?

would a 3M double sided (or similar) tape be a better option or just use the adhesive?
jtimkey wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am
Any chance you can point me to a photo of the BMWP one?
thanks
john
this is how the spoiler sits on my boot lid without any adhesive/tape
Image
Image

Richie pikka
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by Richie pikka » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

That does look sexy mate,regarding the adhesive I probably wouldn’t use it in 5 degrees unless it’s a two part adhesive which I’m guessing it’s not,wait for some slightly warmer weather,ten degrees or more would be ok.

User avatar
SuperMoose2403
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by SuperMoose2403 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd recommend using 3M double sided foam tape; mine has been rock solid since it's been on and completely confident it will stay that way. Even the lip spoiler mine came with was on with tape. - If you buy it, ensure it's genuine stuff.. I think I used 10mm wide, and ensured it was completely around the edge, with a little of the remainder in the middle to be extra safe.

Properly clean surface before install, and recommend heating up the surface with a hair dryer/heat gun beforehand to help stick it. Then hold down with some low-tack masking tape (i.e. that's suitable for use on car paintwork). Lots of people have used tape on here for these.

Mine came out like this:

Image

Image

Image
135i N54 :D
BMWP Exhaust, Spoiler, Mirror Caps, Diffuser and Grilles // N55 Mids // Real Carbon Fibre Interior Trim // WSP Basel M Alloys // Darklines // M3 LCA and TS // M3 Front ARB // M3 Gearbox Mounts // Whiteline Rear Inserts // Clubsport Gearknob

Sam-w
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am
Location: Burntwood

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by Sam-w » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Richie pikka wrote:That does look sexy mate,regarding the adhesive I probably wouldn’t use it in 5 degrees unless it’s a two part adhesive which I’m guessing it’s not,wait for some slightly warmer weather,ten degrees or more would be ok.
It does, just want it fitted now, think I’ll go down the tape route though.
SuperMoose2403 wrote:I'd recommend using 3M double sided foam tape; mine has been rock solid since it's been on and completely confident it will stay that way. Even the lip spoiler mine came with was on with tape. - If you buy it, ensure it's genuine stuff.. I think I used 10mm wide, and ensured it was completely around the edge, with a little of the remainder in the middle to be extra safe.

Properly clean surface before install, and recommend heating up the surface with a hair dryer/heat gun beforehand to help stick it. Then hold down with some low-tack masking tape (i.e. that's suitable for use on car paintwork). Lots of people have used tape on here for these.

Mine came out like this:

Image

Image

Image
Cheers, that looks good! Do you have a link to the tape you used?
I’ll feel more confident using tape over an adhesive, just need to make sure it’s lined up correctly first.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
SuperMoose2403
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by SuperMoose2403 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Sam-w wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm
Cheers, that looks good! Do you have a link to the tape you used?
I’ll feel more confident using tape over an adhesive, just need to make sure it’s lined up correctly first.
The eBay item I bought back then isn't valid anymore, but I believe you'd want something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-10mm-x-3m ... 8XN264284V

I'd get a bit over 3 metres worth though from memory.
135i N54 :D
BMWP Exhaust, Spoiler, Mirror Caps, Diffuser and Grilles // N55 Mids // Real Carbon Fibre Interior Trim // WSP Basel M Alloys // Darklines // M3 LCA and TS // M3 Front ARB // M3 Gearbox Mounts // Whiteline Rear Inserts // Clubsport Gearknob

Sam-w
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am
Location: Burntwood

Re: E82 Spoiler

Post by Sam-w » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

SuperMoose2403 wrote:
Sam-w wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm
Cheers, that looks good! Do you have a link to the tape you used?
I’ll feel more confident using tape over an adhesive, just need to make sure it’s lined up correctly first.
The eBay item I bought back then isn't valid anymore, but I believe you'd want something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-10mm-x-3m ... 8XN264284V

I'd get a bit over 3 metres worth though from memory.
Cheers for the help, is this the same stuff?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Acrylic-Mou ... B01DVWCXWG

If so I’ll order it now and can return the adhesive to BMW




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”