New E87 130i owner

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

janhe

New E87 130i owner

Post by janhe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey guys & gals from Finland!

Some months back I started to have an itch for a daily driver since I felt that my 570hp S4 B5 was going to waste in urban driving and work related driving around. That's when I began to scout out for options. I wanted a reliable automatic, but still something that you want jump into every morning, something special you know. Consumption wasn't the first thing on my mind so it had to have at least some amount of power not to make me miss my S4 straight away. :) Reliability pretty much ruled out all the downsize engined S-Tronic/DSG options and I started look at what BMW has to offer. Once I realised that there's an NA 3.0 ltr available for 1-series with traditional automatic gearbox and it fitted my price range I started to think if this is it?! Quite soon I found my way over to this forum when I tried to search for info, since I had very little experience about BMW's and read about the N52 engine and was even more convinced that this is the reliable daily I'm after. Anyway finding an automatic wasn't easy as you might expect, but a month forward and I found one potential late 2007 130i M-Sport, 112tkm on the clock that had almost everything I wanted and the deal was done! It's an italian import and it made me a bit cautious at first, but after the dealer didn't find any irregularities in service history I decided to take the plunge. Of course there's no way of knowing 100% if the car has been clocked or damage repaired, but at least all the panel caps and paint looks alright and the interior seems like it's age.

The previous owner wasn't the most mechanically minded, but said that it maybe has aftermarket LSD or that's what he heard from the owner before him. Sure enough I found a receipt from the service history for shimming the diff, I don't know what other service could've been carried out where you need to shim the diff? Other mods are some rear spoiler and Mor-Vision rear diffuser that I've a bit mixed feelings whether to keep it or change it back to standard. Winter wheels are the 208's with 12mm spacers up front and 16mm at the back. They're wrapped in 225/40/18 non-studded winter tires. One thing I want to learn is to code the car. I've experience of coding VAG cars with VCDS, but this BMW seems to be a bit more complicated. I wish I could change the voice control from italian to english although I curse in italian fluently. :lol: Any suggestions for a cable?

So far I've only swapped broken washer jet, interior led's and passenger side autodim mirror. Also the drivers mirror seems to have a mind of it's own and I took it off once and sprayed the connector with WD40 and it helped for a while, but now it started again to behave weirdly. Tomorrow on the list is some detailing and maybe clean the Vanos solenoids since that looked like a walk in the park.

Hmmm, what else? I hear some clunking from the front when driving on cobblestone roads, what you reckon it might be? At some point a full front control arm refresh is coming up, but if it's something like ARB links I might just change them straight away.

Okay, maybe time to wrap this up, but I'm sure I'll need advice in the future so good to introduce myself and here's a couple of bad pics. The other one related to the LSD pondering. :)

Here's the full options list of the car in question. Sorry for the long post and thanks if you got this far. :)

P337A M Sports package
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S1CBA CO2 package
S1CDA Brake Energy Regeneration
S205A Automatic transmission
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S2MHA BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 208
S2PAA Wheel bolt retainer
S302A Alarm system
S321A Exterior parts in vehicle color
S339A Shadow-Line
S411A Window lifts,electric,front/rear
S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A Smoker package
S473A Armrest front
S481A Sports seat
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4MGA Int. mouldings aluminium glacier-silver
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S520A Fog lights
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S563A Light package
S609A Navigation system Professional
S620A Voice control
S644A Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S6FLA USB/Audio interface
S704A M Sports suspension
S715A M Aerodynamics package
S775A Headlining anthracite
S7XAA M Leathr. wheel+shift paddle+multifunc.
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S855A Language version Italian
S863A Retailer Directory Europe
S877A Delete cross-pattern operation
S884A On-board literature, Italian
S8SPA Control unit COP
Attachments
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG (193.08 KiB) Viewed 941 times
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4649.JPG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 941 times
E87 130iA LCI, S4 B5 Avant

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: New E87 130i owner

Post by marco_polo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 am

Nice! Nice garage too. :)

Most people start simple coding with 'Carly' or 'BimmerCode' smartphone App's, I'm not sure if they'll do what you want to though.

I would remove the M22 plug from the Differential casing, and have a look inside with a borescope?

The front knocking could indeed be an ARB drop-link. If you're swapping the front arms, most people upgrade to the longer E90 M3 versions, which add a some much needed negative camber (and slightly better bushes). Genuine OEM parts with part number carefully ground off:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-JTC1423-Tr ... B00CGMRKXU
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-JTC1424-Tr ... B00CGMRLFC
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-JTC1426-Tr ... B00CGMRLS4
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-JTC1427-Tr ... B00CGMRM7O
(And as you have Xenons) Regulator rod:- BMW 37142283867
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

janhe

Post by janhe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Many thanks! :) Our garage is an old (40's-50's?) car service in the basement of a block of flats with oil pits and all. Very lucky to be part of the group of guys renting this space.

I think with Carly you can't change the voice command language so seems it would be better to invest into a working DCAN cable and learn little by little to code with that. Can anyone point me to a proven working cable? These any good? http://bcables.com/

I'll try to contact the company that carried out the diff job and ask if they still have some record what was done then. If that fails, the borescope through fill hole is a good idea!

Thanks a lot for the control arm part list! I'm sure it comes handy when it's time for the refresh! Also the camber pin mod is on the to-do-list.

Is there a consensus on automatic gearbox oil change? I remember reading somewhere that after some mileage they don't necessarily recommend to do it? Or if done properly (flushing the system, new filter etc.) no harm can be done? BMW says probably that the oil is for life, but ZF has another opinion. My diff oil was changed in the aforementioned shimming so that should be still okay.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 am

I would go with ZF's recommendation, which is usually every 100,000 Km.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

supercati
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by supercati » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

It's a nice spec your 130i, some of the interesting options you already got them. :D And some of the aftermarket mods also (LSD :lol: ).

For the coding, I would recommend you to use NCS Dummy in combination with NCS Expert, as it makes life way much more easier when it comes to coding stuff... I came also from VagCom / VCDS and found this was the best way to proceed.
130i E81 2007 LHD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic / Boston Terra - CDV Delete - 135i ESD with resonator delete - LED Blacklines - RIP :(
130i E81 2008 LHD - LSE / Boston Terra - Complete HiFi Retrofit - CDV Delete - LED Blacklines - BMWP SSK -

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

janhe wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm
Is there a consensus on automatic gearbox oil change? I remember reading somewhere that after some mileage they don't necessarily recommend to do it? Or if done properly (flushing the system, new filter etc.) no harm can be done? BMW says probably that the oil is for life, but ZF has another opinion. My diff oil was changed in the aforementioned shimming so that should be still okay.
Well done on finding yourself an auto so quickly it took me about 6 months

I've been toying with changing the gearbox oil on mine - its not been done + the cars on 65,000 miles now

There doesn't seem to be a consensus at all - some people will say yes do it at 60k miles good idea whilst others will say leave it alone until much later or until it feels like it needs doing, i.e. when its not changing gear anymore!

The local independent garage where I get my servicing done is in the latter camp so I sense his resistance when I say what about it then?

Is it a job you're able to do yourself or do you have some place to get it done? Do let us know how it goes I'd be interested to hear. :thumbs:
'09' 130i M Sport Auto - Le Mans Blue / Boston Beige Leather

janhe

Post by janhe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm

supercati wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:55 pm
Welcome to the forum :)

It's a nice spec your 130i, some of the interesting options you already got them. :D And some of the aftermarket mods also (LSD :lol: ).

For the coding, I would recommend you to use NCS Dummy in combination with NCS Expert, as it makes life way much more easier when it comes to coding stuff... I came also from VagCom / VCDS and found this was the best way to proceed.
Thanks! :) NCS Expert/Dummy is the route that I'm also planning to go. Will any ebay DCAN cable work or is it more hit & miss? Could you recommend perhaps some cable?
paddyboy wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm
Well done on finding yourself an auto so quickly it took me about 6 months

I've been toying with changing the gearbox oil on mine - its not been done + the cars on 65,000 miles now

There doesn't seem to be a consensus at all - some people will say yes do it at 60k miles good idea whilst others will say leave it alone until much later or until it feels like it needs doing, i.e. when its not changing gear anymore!

The local independent garage where I get my servicing done is in the latter camp so I sense his resistance when I say what about it then?

Is it a job you're able to do yourself or do you have some place to get it done? Do let us know how it goes I'd be interested to hear. :thumbs:
Thanks! :) I was gauging also the german market and there isn't plenty to choose from there either so I really consider myself lucky finding a well spec'd car so fast. 0 auto 130i's in finnish market at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrgmfM8VlQ Quick googleing gave this ZF service instructions and it looks easy enough. Seems to be 3-series though, do the instructions apply to 1-series? Subject needs more studying I guess. :D

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm

E87 and E90 are identical under the skin.

supercati
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by supercati » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:47 am

janhe wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm
Thanks! :) NCS Expert/Dummy is the route that I'm also planning to go. Will any ebay DCAN cable work or is it more hit & miss? Could you recommend perhaps some cable?
You need K+DCAN cable.
I bought this one, from the Spanish Amazon site, because is the one everyone recommended on the BMW spanish forum: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00M08TI3A/

If I were you, honestly, I would not buy cheap ebay ones, and pay a little bit more. Maybe you have on ebay the same amazon seller I bought it from (Boutique-Mister-Express).
130i E81 2007 LHD - Sparkling Graphite Metallic / Boston Terra - CDV Delete - 135i ESD with resonator delete - LED Blacklines - RIP :(
130i E81 2008 LHD - LSE / Boston Terra - Complete HiFi Retrofit - CDV Delete - LED Blacklines - BMWP SSK -

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

janhe wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm
Thanks! :) I was gauging also the german market and there isn't plenty to choose from there either so I really consider myself lucky finding a well spec'd car so fast. 0 auto 130i's in finnish market at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrgmfM8VlQ Quick googleing gave this ZF service instructions and it looks easy enough. Seems to be 3-series though, do the instructions apply to 1-series? Subject needs more studying I guess. :D
Yes you were pretty lucky finding that 130i auto. We have 3 for sale in the UK at the mo but that is quite unusual (unusually high)- there are only 80 registered for use on the road in the UK.

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video - I had seen that previously and thought it was really helpful

You see that the oil filter is integral to the oil pan - in other words you don't just change the oil filter you need a whole new pan which is how I understood it would be on my car

But when I enquired with Cotswold BMW the parts supplier on this forum for the parts I'd need to do the oil change he came back with this .... what do you make of this? That's why I didn't get any further with the job! Do let me know if it fits with your research + what you make out .... cheers :thumbs:
cotswoldbmwmini wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 am
Hi,

Assuming you don't need the oil the price for the parts would be £98.41 inc VAT and delivery to mainland UK.

This includes;

Sump gasket
Oil drain plug
Set of screws
Oil filter
Oil filter plug
Sealing sleeve

Price is valid for 7 days from today.

Payment Options

Delivery Address the same as Registered Card Address

Call 01242 335365 and quote ref 48544

Delivery Address Different to Registered Card Address

Paypal – partscheltenham@cotswoldgroup.com

Please send payment as a gift with quote ref 48544 and your delivery address in the notes section

Bank Transfer – Sort Code 20-07-71 Account Number 40292230 with ref 48544 in the notes section but please call or email us with your delivery address

Many Thanks
Alex

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Regarding DCAN cable I recently purchased the following, as it was listed on the ncs-expert website

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eximtrade-OBD2 ... B01FKQH11Y
2006 130i manual :)

janhe

Post by janhe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am
Yes you were pretty lucky finding that 130i auto. We have 3 for sale in the UK at the mo but that is quite unusual (unusually high)- there are only 80 registered for use on the road in the UK.

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video - I had seen that previously and thought it was really helpful

You see that the oil filter is integral to the oil pan - in other words you don't just change the oil filter you need a whole new pan which is how I understood it would be on my car

But when I enquired with Cotswold BMW the parts supplier on this forum for the parts I'd need to do the oil change he came back with this .... what do you make of this? That's why I didn't get any further with the job! Do let me know if it fits with your research + what you make out .... cheers :thumbs:
cotswoldbmwmini wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 am
Hi,

Assuming you don't need the oil the price for the parts would be £98.41 inc VAT and delivery to mainland UK.

This includes;

Sump gasket
Oil drain plug
Set of screws
Oil filter
Oil filter plug
Sealing sleeve

Price is valid for 7 days from today.

Payment Options

Delivery Address the same as Registered Card Address

Call 01242 335365 and quote ref 48544

Delivery Address Different to Registered Card Address

Paypal – partscheltenham@cotswoldgroup.com

Please send payment as a gift with quote ref 48544 and your delivery address in the notes section

Bank Transfer – Sort Code 20-07-71 Account Number 40292230 with ref 48544 in the notes section but please call or email us with your delivery address

Many Thanks
Alex
Quick reply. Had brief quiet moment at work and did some research and I'm back to square one. :D Seems that I have GM GA6L45R automatic gearbox, or at least that's what a VIN decoder revealed. RealOEM, if interpreted right, shows that this box's oil pan doesn't have integrated oil filter and the part list that you got could indeed be correct. Don't have the source here, but I was left with the impression that somewhere in 2007/2008 the auto box changed from ZF to GM.

I guess it's time to crawl under the car and see what's in there. :)
Attachments
GM.JPG
GM.JPG (89.19 KiB) Viewed 604 times

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:43 pm

janhe wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 pm
Quick reply. Had brief quiet moment at work and did some research and I'm back to square one. :D Seems that I have GM GA6L45R automatic gearbox, or at least that's what a VIN decoder revealed. RealOEM, if interpreted right, shows that this box's oil pan doesn't have integrated oil filter and the part list that you got could indeed be correct. Don't have the source here, but I was left with the impression that somewhere in 2007/2008 the auto box changed from ZF to GM.

I guess it's time to crawl under the car and see what's in there. :)
Cheers for the reply. I too used that VIN decoder https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/J012018/EN

And it comes up with the exact same auto box for mine as well - GA6L-45R

Not sure how much can one trust these vin decoders to come up with the honest truth? But yes if its correct then you're right I did get the right parts list + the same as the one you have shown.

So its the Youtube video that's misleading me - he does mention that its the plastic oil pan so I wonder if ours has a steel oil pan which means it has a removable filter?

I don't know anything about the auto box changing from ZF to GM but my cars an 09 anyway so if it did I'm definitely on a GM box

Let me know what you find after crawling around under your car - its -2 degrees outside here so don't fancy it as my cars parked outdoors but then I guess its not that warm in Finland at the mo either :lol: :thumbs:

smith-n7
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by smith-n7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

The same kit is found on the pre-lci and lots of other models.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 4152333907
24 valves, no turbo.

paddyboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by paddyboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 pm

smith-n7 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm
The same kit is found on the pre-lci and lots of other models.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 4152333907
Many thanks for that smith-n7 :thumbs:

I'm currently in the process of getting quotes from transmission specialists for the job for parts + labour and just let them source the parts

Seems easier that way for not a lot more expense

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”