Bonnet access when the latch is siezed

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

HyperGrade

Bonnet access when the latch is siezed

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Figured it was worth starting a separate thread on this on.

The bonnet won't open on my e81 2009. The handle is attached inside the car and I can look at the mechanism sideways and see the cable being pulled - so I know it's not that end.

If you can't get the bonnet to move, is there a way in through the kidney grills? I've seen a couple of discussions, but nothing definitive.
I've tried spraying WD40 into the centre area directly under the lip of the bonnet, but it's made no difference. (From images on google, it appears the latch is quite for back anyway)

Can you get the kidney grills out with the bonnet down? Any thoughts appreciated!!
Temporary guardian of a Silver 2009 116d Sport - just trying to get it up to scratch before giving it to a family member. Advice greatly appreciated!!

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Bonnet access when the latch is siezed

Post by marco_polo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 pm

It's not mechanically sympathetic, but you can grab the kidney grill and yank it out firmly. Gloves should help prevent against finger damage.

Or you could try poking the mech with a long screwdriver, or similar tool?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 pm
It's not mechanically sympathetic, but you can grab the kidney grill and yank it out firmly. Gloves should help prevent against finger damage.

Or you could try poking the mech with a long screwdriver, or similar tool?
From my short time having a look in, is it the right hand one I'd want to try? Can't see much, but didn't have loads of light. Certainly didn't appear to be much access without removing it. Cheers!
Temporary guardian of a Silver 2009 116d Sport - just trying to get it up to scratch before giving it to a family member. Advice greatly appreciated!!

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Can't remember, I don't have my E87 any longer.

Same as your E90, it's the same car underneath the skin. I'd open yours up to familiarise yourself with how it works / where to lube before you start.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm
Can't remember, I don't have my E87 any longer.

Same as your E90, it's the same car underneath the skin. I'd open yours up to familiarise yourself with how it works / where to lube before you start.
I've had a look at mine, but looking online the mechanism is a fair bit further back on the 1 vs 3. It also sits behind the rubber seal, which the 3 doesn't have at that point.
Top is 1, bottom is 3.
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 113 times

Rarebit
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rarebit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Have you tried rocking the bonnet up and down whilst someone pulls the catch? This has worked for me in the past
130i LE

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Rarebit wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm
Have you tried rocking the bonnet up and down whilst someone pulls the catch? This has worked for me in the past
Yep - tried that. :cry:

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

This is a pic of the catch. It's upside down, but it is easy to understand how it works. The cable is mounted in the slot to the lower right on the pic and it pulls on the right hand claw/lever to release both.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yb_IKpXX ... 40x640.jpg

You don't need much movement to get the mechanism to release, but both of the claw/lever hinges can get very stiff if they have not been lubed.

This shows the catch in the locked closed position.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4nkAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg

If you can get your penetrating lube tube in between the bonnet and the rubber, either side of the bonnet loop which is central, you may be able to get some onto the mechanism's hinges.

When I bought my 130i, the bonnet would not latch easily and it took me about 10 minutes to get the bonnet to lock shut. I thought that the catch mechanism was broken, but it was just dry. It freed very easily once I got a good squirt each side.

You'll also need to keep on rockin'!

Good luck.
2008 E81 130i & 2010 E82 N55 135i...

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Toed64 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm
This is a pic of the catch. It's upside down, but it is easy to understand how it works. The cable is mounted in the slot to the lower right on the pic and it pulls on the right hand claw/lever to release both.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yb_IKpXX ... 40x640.jpg

You don't need much movement to get the mechanism to release, but both of the claw/lever hinges can get very stiff if they have not been lubed.

This shows the catch in the locked closed position.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4nkAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg

If you can get your penetrating lube tube in between the bonnet and the rubber, either side of the bonnet loop which is central, you may be able to get some onto the mechanism's hinges.

When I bought my 130i, the bonnet would not latch easily and it took me about 10 minutes to get the bonnet to lock shut. I thought that the catch mechanism was broken, but it was just dry. It freed very easily once I got a good squirt each side.

You'll also need to keep on rockin'!

Good luck.
Yep, had to admit defeat. Got it booked into the garage to be looked at. Couldn’t get the kidney grill out, but it needed a service anyway so I’ve given them the heads up.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”