E87 bulb monitoring and flickering lights

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

I have just installed some Depo v1 headlights and put in a pair of Nighteye H7 LED bulbs in each and LEDs in the rings too. However, on start up and when driving they flicker. I get no dash errors whatsoever from the canbus, just the flickering.

Now, I know this is due to the BMW system of voltage busts to test bulbs, so bought a pair of canbus 'fixers' for head headlight unit from eBay. TV eye were yn ei fairly common type on there wight the goldish orange resistor housing. However, even with these they still flickered just the same.

Anybody installed a similar set up and got some advice on how to stop the flickering both on the main H7 bulbs and the T5 ring LEDs?
Last edited by Bunford on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Jack79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: E87 bulb monitoring and flitch keyring lights

Post by Jack79 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 am

Disable test of this lamp.

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 am

Jack79 wrote:Disable test of this lamp.
This.

Carly is needed to code out voltage monitoring on all your LED’s.

No errors just an annoying flashing (And it does it at regular intervals too while driving)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am

This.

No errors just an annoying flashing (And it does it at regular intervals too while driving)

P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Twenny wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am
This.

So will coding the test out stop the flickering? And this can be done for E87 yes?

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Bunford wrote:
Twenny wrote:
This.

So will coding the test out stop the flickering? And this can be done for E87 yes?
Yes it’ll stop 100% (Although it does mean you need to check your LED lamps work every now and then as you’re disabling that feature)

And yes E87 can be done.

I’ve just gone halves with a mate and bought the Gen II Carly OBD reader as my Gen II packed up.

Can’t remember where you live but if you’re near Dartford I’m happy to come maybe halfway (depending on where you are)

Last edited by Twenny on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: E87 bulb monitoring and flickering lights

Post by Bunford » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Twenny wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 pm
Bunford wrote:
Twenny wrote:

This.

Yes it’ll stop 100% (Although it does mean you need to check your LED lamps work every now and then as your disabling that feature)

And yes E87 can be done.

I’ve just gone halves with a mate and bought the Gen II Carly OBD reader as my Gen II packed up.

Can’t remember where you live but if you’re near Dartford I’m happy to come maybe halfway (depending on where you are)

Cheers for the offer. I am on Cardiff though! I do have Carl though and also have a K+DCAN to USB cable that I plug into OTG adapter for my phone or my Surface Pro (using RemixOS).

Gonna give it a go now. Do you know what setting it is or is it obvious?

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Bunford wrote:
Twenny wrote:
Bunford wrote: So will coding the test out stop the flickering? And this can be done for E87 yes?
Yes it’ll stop 100% (Although it does mean you need to check your LED lamps work every now and then as your disabling that feature)

And yes E87 can be done.

Cheers for the offer. I am on Cardiff though! I do have Carl though and also have a K+DCAN to USB cable that I plug into OTG adapter for my phone or my Surface Pro (using RemixOS).

It’s in the FRM and yes mate it’s obvious.

Voltage monitoring 1 and 2 for each set need disabling.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am

Twenny wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm
Bunford wrote:
Twenny wrote:

And yes E87 can be done.

It’s in the FRM and yes mate it’s obvious.

Voltage monitoring 1 and 2 for each set need disabling.

Done and works a treat now!

I ran a diagnostic and my car now only throws up 5 errors. 4 for glow plugs, which aren't even on the M47 engine I believe, and one for sun roof, which is also not on the car. Error free then! Not bad considering I have changed entire upper and lower dash, steering wheel, headliner, all door pillars, installed after market stereo with sat nav and DAB, frankenstein modded air con control, replace headlights to Depo v1 and Rearsby LCI blackline lows, installed M Sport fron and rear bumper, installed LED lights at front, put in a dash cam and installed a reversing camera wired to reverse light. Also changed cabin filter and air filter, with oil, oil filter and fuel filter left to do. Quite Chuffed to do all that myself having previously had no real experience and now everything works smoothly and no errors.

My only glitch is that LEDs on my reverse camera flash intermittently and when I go to reverse I get a split second of a frozen image and then a black screen. I was planning on buying a capacitor device off eBay with the black, red and yellow wires coming out of it to resolve, but just wondered whether turning off the voltagecheck bursts off for reverse lights would fix it?
Last edited by Bunford on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 am

Result. Happy days.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”