Do I have battery issues?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Do I have battery issues?

Post by Bunford » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I have a 2005 E87 118D Sport. I purchased the car in 2012 and it had one previous owner. Came with full service history and no mention of a battery change anywhere, so assuming it is still original battery.

However, I do get a couple of 'issues' recently, being:

1. Automatic headlight always auto goes to low beam, no matter whether it's day or night as if the daylight sensor is not working/off.

2. Automatic wipers always seems to wipe every 5 or so seconds, regardless of whether it's raining or not, or how heavy the rain is, as if the rain sensor is not working/off.

3. When locking and unlocking, all I hey is flashing indicators, but seem to think my sidelights use to come on too (but might be imagining that?).

4. My stereo will only come on when the key is in ignition and turns off as soon as key is popped out.

5. My dash cam, when set to turn off at 12.3v, only lasts about 20 minutes in parking mode before it turns itself off due to low battery.

The tip of the battery still shows a green indicator though, suggesting it is healthy. Also, how can I tell if it was the original battery?

I saw a way to check the voltage in another thread via a secret menu (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=106920#p1366573), which I plan on doing later this evening. Should I check with key in, engine off and sidelights on to discharge any static electricity in the system I take it?

I have also been checking for batteries and I think this one is compatible, but would welcome views: https://www.tayna.co.uk/110TE-Exide-Pre ... P7683.html
Last edited by Bunford on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Do I have battery issues?

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm

I'd be very surprised if it's the original battery, even if it is BMW branded?

Yes, check the voltage with the lights on to get rid of any surface charge, which can give erroneous readouts.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Not got round to checking voltage, but when I went to my car at about 9.30am today the clock read 17:30, so the clock appears to have reset.

Is that another sign?

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Yep, the most common sign.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Dang. I have looked at some of the car parts sites who use 'car detector' features to work out what battery, but I know these can be unreliable with batteries.

What are some good, solid, modern batteries in the realistically affordable price range?

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”