Heater controls

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

eddym

Heater controls

Post by eddym » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi,
Sincere apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have a 2008 120d m sport e87 and the climate control has the 'rest' function. It is a great idea, but I never use it; I would however use the 'all' function if I had the other control set. It annoys me all the time that I have to adjust both the dials every time I change the temp..

If I were to source a used climate control panel with an 'all' instead of 'rest' button, would it work if I just swapped them over? Or would it be a tricky coding exercise (or a simple one)?

Is it perhaps possible to code the 'rest' button to function as an 'all' button?

Any tips would be appreciated,

Thanks very much!

Simon

Jack79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Heater controls

Post by Jack79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am

I have red about this function and if it is possible to code REST to do ALL function and i found this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497347

It is writen that you can code ALL funcion like REST, but probobly not REST like ALL. you have to change one line in IHKA module
REST_TASTE_VERBAUT some quick google translate revealed that its "REST Button Installed". Change it from "nicht_aktiv" (not active) to "aktiv" (active) and car with electric auxilary water pump will have REST function.

That what i know changing panel is problematic cause you have to code it to your car. And i do not know if panel with ALL button will fit and work without problem.

eddym

Post by eddym » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and link. I've read through it and the mood of that thread is that, as you said, the coding will not work in reverse for the older cars with REST buttons. However, nobody actually confirms that they have tried it, I'll give it try.

Thinking about it, changing the control panel is likely extremely stupid; its only an electronic switch, I'm sure it would be identical with just a different word printed on the button..

Jack79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jack79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Yea, i thing no body try to change this from REST to ALL, but as i remember some one wrote that he has no line REST_TASTE_VERBAUT in IHKA. But if you can change from ALL to REST, you should do this oposite from REST to ALL, this is only the button. If you will not have this line, try to add it. Write here after trying.

I have red about this function on CARLY site coding. You can change this by CARLY:
Residual heat with ‘ALL’-button
• on
• off
ALL’-button triggers residual heat function of the AC. (codable in IHKA)

I think that it won't work with REST button. They write this, if this was possibile.

Bunford
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bunford » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Scuse me for jumping in, but as you are talking about, what does the rest button actually? I never use it and always wondered %:)
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Bunford wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 pm
Scuse me for jumping in, but as you are talking about, what does the rest button actually? I never use it and always wondered %:)
viewtopic.php?t=22898
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

eddym

Post by eddym » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies!

I will try to get around to it this week. I did have a quick look last night but the battery on my lap top died and I gave up.

I've just got to remember how to hook the car up and do it now! I'll need to dig out the old tutorials I used before..

I can handle changing active to not active, but adding new lines will probably be above my level of ability. I will report back with my results though!

In a nut shell Bunford, if you stop the car and turn the ignition off, you can press the rest buttom and the heaters will operate. Handy for going into a shop or something in very cold temperatures! Of course this only operates if the vehicle is up to it (battery level, temprature level etc). Give it a go!

Cheers,

Simon

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”