Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 not getting up to temperature.

4K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Ally 
#1 ·
Hi I have a problem with my e87 2009. The problem is I'm getting very poor mph. 32 mpg and 34 mpg if I drive like a granny. I have watched my temperatures and it sits around 80c to 84c when driving , when I'm at a stop normally sits at 86c. So my car isn't getting up to temperature. I have changed the main thermostat ( n47 ) engine so don't have the egr stat. But it's no made any differance. I'm lost now on what else could be the cause of it not heating up enough , does anyone else know what else could be causing it not to heat up. Took car on about 40 mile run yesterday and it still was no more than 86c. I have tested old stat. And it seems to be opening up ok. Any ideas anyone ?

#3 ·
Was it and original main thermostat from the main dealers???

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW,Alpina Ecus and Cas units
BMW Keys made and cut same day
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners Remaps

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 ·
I thought 82-87c was about right on the N47. I changed my stat years ago when it was running low at around 70c constant. The stat was genuine and currently runs at about 83c constant only going up on hot days, or when the DPF is regenerating.

#10 ·
#12 ·
That's the temperature the engine should start to cool itself down again, basically.

It's possible the engine won't get there if the engine block / cylinder head is naturally loosing loads of heat to a really cold ambient climate, but it's above freezing in most of the UK currently.

#13 ·
Yeah thats how I understood it, just about understood it anyway.

Mine has always been around 82-84 until the stat went, as said it will rise as the outside temp raises or it's under load. I noticed earlier that it was at 84 in traffic then I hit the throttle on a bypass and it dropped to 70 then straight back as it went up the rev range, it's always done that too. Is it possible my engine is just naturally chilled out? :lol2: :lol2:

#14 ·
Did it have a round rubber seal on the part of valve plate as this always drops off when it 1st opens allowing water to flow

Take it off and look at it

Buy one from bmw as I've seen this with copy thermostats all the time on this model

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#15 ·
Ally said:
Hi I have a problem with my e87 2009. The problem is I'm getting very poor mph. 32 mpg and 34 mpg if I drive like a granny. I have watched my temperatures and it sits around 80c to 84c when driving , when I'm at a stop normally sits at 86c. So my car isn't getting up to temperature. I have changed the main thermostat ( n47 ) engine so don't have the egr stat. But it's no made any differance. I'm lost now on what else could be the cause of it not heating up enough , does anyone else know what else could be causing it not to heat up. Took car on about 40 mile run yesterday and it still was no more than 86c. I have tested old stat. And it seems to be opening up ok. Any ideas anyone ?
Not sure I agrree with the bit in bold.

You have an EGR stat. Change that, it will fix your problem.

#17 ·
Hi there is no egr stat. On the n47 engines only a main stat. I have done some testing and here is what is the results. Checked outside temperature and coolant temperature when cold. They was only 1c difference between them. I have unplugged fan and took for a drive. The temperature never goes about 85c , put foot down and would drop to around 60c and then slowly get back to 83c. To get if to get to the 80c I have to drive slowly and very calm normal driving and car sits between 60c to 75c. So think it only leaves another faulty stat. Going to buy another one which is best makes to go for ?.

#20 ·
Ally said:
jason@bwchiptune said:
Did it have a round rubber seal on the part of valve plate as this always drops off when it 1st opens allowing water to flow
Do you mean on the silver pin at the top of the stat that moves when it gets hot? There was no seal on old stat or the new stat.
Did you buy complete thermostat in its plastic housing or just the insert ?

If you brought it complete with housing did you notice on the round disc shape plate a rubber seal around it ?

As I've said before always buy a new one from the dealers as you will be wasting your time buying copy ones

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

#24 ·
Ok update.
I have changed the stat. Again, now temps. After warming up sit between 87c and 91c if I put my foot down it doesn't drop like it did before with the new faulty stat. It stays at same temp. Or rises. So it seem I bought a faulty or crap stat.

#26 ·
Ally said:
Ok update.
I have changed the stat. Again, now temps. After warming up sit between 87c and 91c if I put my foot down it doesn't drop like it did before with the new faulty stat. It stays at same temp. Or rises. So it seem I bought a faulty or crap stat.
Like I said I see it all the time

I hope you brought the new one from a bmw dealer or you will be changing it again soon

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.