Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by victordaniels » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 am

good morning. First sorry for my English, I am Spanish.

I want to present my bmw, it's a 118d coupe year 2013

delighted to be here to learn with all of you.

   some photos

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 3a77cf.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 5d28ce.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 4b1f0b.jpg



have a little problem

I am a little uninformed about this model and its temperatures.


I think the thermostat opens at 88 degrees and if I'm not mistaken the fan jumps to 97 ° (letting it warm up at idle)


I tell you my question. When I go on flat road gas tip 80-90kmh the car keeps stable between 91 and 94 °

At the moment I accelerate slightly or rogue in small steep climb to 96 or 97 stable ...


And if this same thing happens to me in a motorway in 6 ° to 123kmh of cruise, the temperature increases between 96 and 102 degrees. From there it does not happen.


It seems a little high to me. Since searching the entire network people talk between 91 and 93 or 94.

what can you owe those degrees of more?


The car heats up fast up to 90 °


I have looked at it in hidden menu and also by obd.



P.S. Buy the car and walked about 98- 102
But after removing the engine and changing the coolant when we made the chain, it was a little below.


Can I try changing thermostat or temperature sensor? Water Pump?


The car has 103,000km and is from 2013.


regards
Last edited by victordaniels on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by victordaniels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:46 am

from what I have read, these engines can work at different temperatures depending on the load.

Is it like that?

Thank you

YLS
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by YLS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Have you removed all of the air from the coolant? (Bleeding the coolant).

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by victordaniels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:38 pm

YLS wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:31 pm
Have you removed all of the air from the coolant? (Bleeding the coolant).


Hi.
thanks for answering.

the work was done by a mechanic.

You explain how I can check if it's okay?

How to bleed the system?

Thank you

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 49939
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:32 pm

If the car is trying to clean / regenerate the exhaust Diesel Particulate Filter, it will run hotter than the usual 88°C due to the extra fuel being burned.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by Ezzra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Your English is excellent :D

What part of Spain are you from?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by victordaniels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:32 pm
If the car is trying to clean / regenerate the exhaust Diesel Particulate Filter, it will run hotter than the usual 88°C due to the extra fuel being burned.
Hi.
the dpf is fine because when it is regenerating I have seen that the temperature goes up.


the problem is always

when I look at obd torque or hidden menu it is never below 91 or 92 degrees without accelerating.


the coolant level is fine.

Thank you very much for the help

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by victordaniels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm
Your English is excellent :D

What part of Spain are you from?
Thank you jaja.
I'm from asturias in the north.

in Spain, there is not much talk about bmw 1 series

and I found this forum by internet.

Thank you very much for the welcome.

It's a pleasure to meet people like all of you

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp?

Post by Ezzra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 pm

victordaniels wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm
Your English is excellent :D

What part of Spain are you from?
Thank you jaja.
I'm from asturias in the north.

in Spain, there is not much talk about bmw 1 series

and I found this forum by internet.

Thank you very much for the welcome.

It's a pleasure to meet people like all of you
I love Spain. Hoping to move to southern Spain (Denia) in the next few years :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by victordaniels » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 pm

I have been able to verify that if I drive at 120km / h in 5th gear instead of in 6th gear the temperature if it stays between 89-91 degrees

Water Pump?

Thank you
Last edited by victordaniels on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

It's fine there's nothing wrong with it.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

User avatar
victordaniels
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by victordaniels » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm
It's fine there's nothing wrong with it.



Do you think that a temperature of 96-100º driving at 1800rpm is normal?

Then can my car be okay?

Thank you

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

victordaniels wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm
0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm
It's fine there's nothing wrong with it.



Do you think that a temperature of 96-100º driving at 1800rpm is normal?

Then can my car be okay?

Thank you
Yes that's normal.

Temperature will fluctuate depending on driving conditions and airflow etc.

If it goes over 115 you should worry.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

YLS
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by YLS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 am

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes that's normal.
Really? Mine varies, but only perhaps 2 or 3 degrees above and below 88. New main and EGR thermostat in the last few months. Hard to know what 'normal' is when I've only got one reference point. I thought mine was normal!


victordaniels, what is the outside air temperature where you are driving?

Can you try something? Drive at 1800rpm in 6th gear. Will this make the temperature go to 96-100 C? While still going at the same speed, push the clutch pedal down and rev the engine to 3000-4000rpm for 4 or 5 seconds, then carry on driving as normal. Does the temperature rapidly drop?

User avatar
0l0dom0l0
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Hello from Spain with 118d e82 water temp? NEWS!!

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 am

YLS wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 am
0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes that's normal.
Really? Mine varies, but only perhaps 2 or 3 degrees above and below 88. New main and EGR thermostat in the last few months. Hard to know what 'normal' is when I've only got one reference point. I thought mine was normal!


victordaniels, what is the outside air temperature where you are driving?

Can you try something? Drive at 1800rpm in 6th gear. Will this make the temperature go to 96-100 C? While still going at the same speed, push the clutch pedal down and rev the engine to 3000-4000rpm for 4 or 5 seconds, then carry on driving as normal. Does the temperature rapidly drop?
Some movement in coolant temp is normal.

At this time of year, the stat will hardly be open and will have lots of headroom to open more and increase coolant flow through the radiator as you have a very large detla between the water and ambient air so less water flow is required through the rad to remove the same amount of heat - hence good temperature control.

Once the stat is fully open, the difference in temperature between the coolant and ambient air going over the radiator and amount of going over the radiator is what dictates the amount of heat that can be taken out of the coolant to keep the car cool, coolant flow is maxed out.

Therefore the temperature of the coolant rises until either the airflow or the delta t between coolant and ambient air is great enough that the same amount of heat can be removed as the engine is adding.

When the car reaches a certain temperature and neither the delta t or the flow of air is sufficient to remove the amount of heat the engine is adding, the cooling fan switches on, and increases airflow.

Tldr: Movement in coolant temperature is normal. It should however, once warm, not drop below the temperature the stat is controlling to.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

Post Reply

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”