120d E87 No Crank and No Ignition Position 2

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Sniffer

120d E87 No Crank and No Ignition Position 2

Post by Sniffer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Dear all,

Just wanted to take the time to write about an issue I experienced with a friends car this week. Perhaps this helps someone else.

2004 car. Put key in slot and handbrake and airbag light would come on and that was it, nothing more. Press start button again and it would wait two seconds and then just go to ignition off again, clutch pressed or not. Sometimes and only sometimes it would give the yellow steering lock error message.

No errors in any modules of relevance, including CAS but some CAN bus communication errors in DIS. Could see terminal 30G being given 12V by CAS. Took out junction box electronics and had a look inside to see if anything obvious wrong or burnt, all seemed good.

Could not hear steering lock doing anything at all, but a few times did hear something very slight from steering lock area.

All module software version from 2004 (early car and early software versions). Used tool32 to update CAS. I was not able to give the ZUSB number and do it that way with tool32 as it could not find the ZUSB number. I had to use the CHOOSE USB button and select CAS26. I then updated CAS and shitted myself when at 100% it seemed to get stuck and then showed the red car on a ramp on the dash. I waited a few seconds and then it said Update OK in tool32. I then took key out and inserted it again and all seemed normal in terms of car not showing red car of death on ramp, but still no go for starting or ignition pos 2.

However, checking CAS error memory, there were now errors in there relating to the ELV or the electric steering lock.

Took off the panels under the drivers feet and gave the ELV a few light hits with the handle of a screwdriver, suddenly heard the ELV motor do its thing and then all good so car could start and ignition pos 2 available.

So, car now fixed for the time being. I have told my friend to purchase an ELV by pass device which fools CAS into thinking there is an ELV, so you just leave the ELV unplugged and dont have a steering lock on the car.

Sniffer

Re: 120d E87 No Crank and No Ignition Position 2

Post by Sniffer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 pm

So, early versions of CAS software seem not to log ELV faults and the ELV is stopping crank / engine start / ignition position 2.

Therefore, sometimes when trouble shooting issues, it may be an idea to update the software of the module where the problem may exist because the error logging on later software versions is improved.

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”