Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 (116 petrol) start-up clatter

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  MadJam116i 
#1 ·
Morning all ..

3 weeks and 400 miles in to owning a 2011 116i Sport (E87) I return to my car in the evening, after leaving it 8 or 9 hours, press the start button and hear lots of noisy engine clatter (sounding like a dry engine, almost) and after 20 seconds or so it goes and returns to its normal throaty purr. Having done a Google it seems it could be either .. 1. timing chain on its way out, 2. timing chain tensioner needing adjustment, 3. VANOS fault, 4. hydraulic lifter issue, 5. nothing wrong ("all these engines do this occasionally") or someone has cunningly replaced my engine with a badly tuned diesel variant whilst I was at work!

Any 116 (and/or other N43 engine) owners have any thoughts? The car's under warranty but as this has only happened twice, in 3 weeks, I doubt the garage will get to hear and diagnose this (and doubt they'll want to start dismantling things based purely on just my aural interpretation).

Thanks all.

#7 ·
As the clatter has only happened twice should I just stick my head in the sand and put it down to a blip rather than it being an indication of worse things to come? I'm not seeking perfection in a 7 year old car but if it's definitely worth further inspection I'll do that. Thanks again.

#9 ·
If the timing chain tensioner doesn't fix it, I would look at replacing timing chain and guides.

To be honest I'd probably do the lot to be safe anyway. The kits aren't expsnive for what they are, approx £100 for a timing chain and guide kit from Febi.

#11 ·
MadJam116i said:
Thanks all.

If the noise is chain-related, wouldn't it be permanent and not just occasional and on start-up only?
If it's tensioner related, it will (initially) rear it's head when you first start her up (when the oil pressure is still building). You don't want it to slip teeth due to lack of tension, that would be bad/expensive.

#14 ·
Quick update. Car went in to main dealer. They put the start-up rattle down to a failing oil control valve/sensor and replaced that. Slight rattle on start up recently since, once.

Are the chains on the petrol 116i (E87) models quite rattly/noisy anyway? Is this normal?

#15 ·
Hi, I had similar on my 118i. All down to a clogged oil filter causing low oil pressure. I had put in some engine cleaner in the oil months earlier and forgot about it. That also caused major drivability issues because the VANOS couldn't operate due to the low oil pressure. I would change your oil filter and do an oil change. The change that brought about to my car was unbelievable. Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.