Baby BMW Forum banner

FAKRA connectors on 2005 E87 roof aerial with CCC sat nav and Bluetooth

560 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Octavius 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 E87 with Professional CCC navigation and bluetooth. I was going to swap out the roof aerial for a DAB and Fm amplified aerial but found that the OEM roof aerial base has 3 FAKRA connectors as well as the 12v feed to amplify the Fm signal. I wondered if anyone knew what the three connectors are used for and what would happen if they are not connected? There were the following colour connectors:

Black - Fm feed (I know this one :lol2:)
Turquoise - Is this for phone? Does it just boost mobile phone signal if you were using the old cradles that sit in the arm rest?
Maroon - Is this GPS? (I think official colour is Borbeaux

I took the car for a drive without any of the FAKRA connectors connected and could make phone calls and the sat nav was working, all seemed fine. Can anyone shed some light on what the turquoise and maroon connectors are used for and if I will have any issues if they are not connected to anything. If the turquoise connector is GPS why did the sat nav work without it connected?

Any insight would be appreciated as I can't find much on the internet.

#4 ·
Octavius said:
Anything to do with the antenna in the rear screen ?
Some of the connections could be linked to that.
Isn't that just for the Coupe? I'm not that up to speed with things like this as my E81 on has a Professional HU with no nav and inbuilt Bluetooth.
I'm almost certain that the maroon colour connector is GPS so can't understand why the sat nav could track me?
Googling FAKRA colour connector colours the turquoise one is probably something to do with the phone...again seemed to work fine without it connected.

#6 ·
Octavius said:
Redwizard had a new rear screen fitted to his E87 when he upgraded his system.
Send him a PM and see if he can help you.
I think I have worked it out. The connectors are, one (black) is Fm aerial, two (turquoise blue) is GPS, third (Bordeaux) is for the phone cradle in the armrest (I took the armrest apart and found the coaxial cable to confirm this). The connector colours also tie in to this theory as well as RealOEM options for the aerial base part number.

I think I will have to buy a DAB/FM aerial base with built in GPS which will cost a little more than one without GPS but at least I will get good reception :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.