Baby BMW Forum banner

wheels too big??

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Twenny 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Have written on here for a few months. the advise i received previously was very helpful.

and I'm hoping for the same again.

So got the wife a 123D 2008. realised the chocolate timing chain issue, paid a load of money and get it replaced, so all good.

the car came with some pretty serious wheels, they look lovely but have some scuffs and corrosion so am planning on getting them refurbished and painted black to suit the car. But they are 19", with real wide low profile rubber, so even without anyone in the car doesn't leave much of a gap from tyre to wheel arch, as soon as me and the wife are in the car and my 2 young kids in the back we get rubbing if we go over a bump or a dip in the road etc.

I've felt under the arches and this must have been going on prior to us getting the car as there are wear holes in the plastic splash guards???

so rather than spending out on getting the 19" wheels re-done should i look at buying a set of maybe 18" wheels ???? only i know the rubbing is really bothering the wife. all help appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Wheel diameter has nothing to do with arch contact, especially if they're fitted with low profile tyres to make the overall diameter correct.

Wheel width/offset and tyre width are the important dimensions, what are those 3 please (front and rear)?

Sounds like your car has been slammed on Chav suspension?

#3 ·
The wheel values should be moulded on the inside - wheels off to read them. Tyre size will be on the tyre itself.

#7 ·
Hi lads.

so sat out in the rain and took a front and rear wheel off

i got the following

The front

19x8.5jj

then there was another number but was really hard to make out but looked like

H004 or M004

then on the rear

19x9.5jj

and then another number, this was clearer on the rear

H054

so....... what the hell does all that mean??? I'm in your hands now chaps (sounds a bit wrong!!)

cheers in advance

dan

#8 ·
Doesn't mean much without offsets? No 'ET' markings anywhere?

9.5J is very wide for a 1 Series. Can you post a photo, we might be able to identify them if they're a popular wheel. Those sound more like 3 Series sizes really though.

The narrowest tyre you can safely fit (according to ETRTO) is a 245/30/19, so that could be an option for you to reduce the rubbing? They're be 5mm narrower each side (obviously) and 3mm smaller on radius.

#9 ·
I think I've uploaded the pic right !!!!lol so thats the front. just gotta upload the rear !!

i noticed once i took the front of that it had a Monroe shock.

finally !!! the pic of the rear!!!
i did notice the other day that the rear wheel / tyre was almost touching the metalwork on the inside, not touching, but almost !!!

its driving me and the wife mad. this bloody rubbing just by going over a hump it the road etc

#10 ·
19 inch is obviously the diameter of the wheel.

8.5J and 9.5J is the width of the wheel in inches.

It's the ET size that's important which we don't have.

Yeah pics might help identify the wheels and then the offsets.

Maybe take a photo of the springs and the shocks as they could be aftermarket too.

If they're OEM shocks then as Marco has said either 245 rears or sell them and get 18's that fit.

Look forward to the pics mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Big offsets, basically. Especially if you want to run wide (255mm) rear tyres.

I'd want something like ET38 fronts and ET45 rears.

( I'd hazard a guess yours are only approx ET35 all round, hence the poking out and rubbing.)

Have a look at these, from our sponsor: They sometimes do part exchange for nice 2nd hand wheels.

#14 ·
Hi guys

would these be any good, or ones like it, (eBay ref number 222779831191)

Thanks in advance, the ones id like you to view are 18 s, but I'm kinda edging towards 19 s (because i have 2 new 19" pirelli tyres in the shed!!) for the front and the rear tyres on the rear are Yokohama and have really good tread still.

thanks again in advance

#22 ·
danboy74 said:
brilliant!! thank you, and as i said it then wouldn't matter if i went 18's or 19's???
Wheel diameter (17" / 19" / whatever) has nothing to do with wheel fitment (provided they will fit over your brakes - you couldn't fit 16" wheels for example, they would hit your brake calipers.)

The three dimensions which matter are wheel offset (ET), tyre width (in mm's), and to a lesser extent, wheel width (J).

#25 ·
Ahhhh ok I see!! Thanks MP, So that explains the 225/"35"/19 on the front.

OP I apologise, every day is a school day lol

* WARNING - thread hijack - so I have slight rubbing on the front arches with full lock on my VMR's with 225/40/18 and M3 LCA's -

As you can see it's minimal and just rubs the dirt off.

My next tyres I wanted 235 width (as 225 on a 8.5J is just too stretched for my liking) so guessing I could go 235/35/18? Would affect my speedo by 3.5% (see pic below) wouldn't be a bad thing speedo showing me going faster than I actually am. Should miss my strut and arch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.