Baby BMW Forum banner

Nav Screen Scratch Repair DIY Pictorial.

509 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Webarno 
#1 ·
There are a few posts about how to repair a scratched Nav Screen. If you take info from each of them the directions can be understood. But I didn't seen any one start to finish post, so here goes.

Note that these Nav screens are very easily scratched. The anti-glare coating is super delicate, and BMW is more than happy to sell you a new screen for north of $2000. Instead, it is about an hour job to fix your own, for about $20.

First you need some polish. This is the best, and well recommended here and on other forums:
Next, for some optional, is an anti-glare screen protector: It comes with two, you only need one.

The process for removing the screen is simple and as follows:

Remove the vents by gently prying on the top edge:

Then pull on top with your fingers. It doesn't take a lot of force:

You can unplug it and fully remove it, or just rest it vertically to access the screws that hold the GPS Screen mount in place.

You only take out the two screws, green arrows, not the center one with the red X. These are T-20 screws.

This allows you to lift it out by pulling directly up.

Unplug both plugs. The white one has a secondary plug away from the unit. The purple one has to be unplugged at the unit. Lush in on the little tab, then pry it gently out.

Once out, remove the other plug in the unit, then remove the sun shade by gently prying on the two clips, one on each side, with a pick:

The shade will pop off.

Next remove the four screws that hold the screen to the mount:

Now you can start polishing the screen. With a microfiber towel use the Novus #3 and scrub fairly vigorously. I only did half at a time for demonstration purposes. Polish with #3, wiping clean occasionally, until all of the glare coating is removed:

You can see the difference. This is just #3.

Here is untouched:

I then polished with #2, then #1.

Then I completed the rest with #3:

You can see the spots I missed.

More #3, then #2, then #1.
With the added screen anti-glare protector.

Now, reassemble the screen to the mount, then add the sun shield, plug in the white cord and prepare to install it back in the car.

Place the unit close and re-plug in the two plugs, making certain they are secure. Then slide the unit down into the slot so the unit goes in behind the metal retaining bar in the dash, see arrows. It should slide right in and the screws (T-20) line up. Install the screws.

Test the nav to ensure it turns on, then reinstall the vent.

The bottom of the vent has hooks, see arrows, that catch on the edge of the dash cover. Gently angle them in. When they are properly placed the bottom of the vent will slide in. Then just snap the top in place.

Here are a few shots installed. Note that the screen protector is slightly small, but it is nearly undetectable.

The screen is very clear, no loss of brightness, and actually looks a bit brighter and clearer.

Thanks for all those that posted their experience, and I hope this helped others with the same issue.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.