Steering feel

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

Adejul45

Steering feel

Post by Adejul45 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:09 pm

I tought that BMW is a driver car, esp with the 1 series that more focused to handling than comfort, but i got a feel of a very slow steering rack that makes me need to move my steering wheel more when i want to take a turn/overtake.

I compare it with honda Brio, the steering feel of Brio Eps is just sensitive enought to have input from me to road, also with mini cooper r50 eps i feel the sensitivity and steering feedback was very good.

I tought i have a slight play (1cm) when i shake my steering wheel when on the move and idle, already tried to tighten the U Joint. But no good result from it, do i need something to do to fix the steering responsiveness and feedback? Do i need to tighten the jesus nut on the rack?i am afraid that tighten the rack nut may cause wear and leak, also result on lack of steering back to center assistance..

Please any tought or opinion from you guys!
I need to clear this asap, if i hear the same from you guys then i will assump that this is normal

Trojantrow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Steering feel

Post by Trojantrow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 pm

Mines the same....i feel that it has about 1 to 2 cm play before the wheels start to move...then the rack is also quite slow.e.g. I have to turn it quite a lot.

You get used to it. It's not ideal. I've heard m3 lower control arms, new upper control arms and new track rod ends help..

Could fit an m3 rack if it's not an lci.

I've heard that there is some kind of nut/bolt that you can tighten up on the rack that helps.

not tried any of the above yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Toed64
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Toed64 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 am

Neither of my 1 series has had this problem. My 135i with hydraulic power assistance was tight and direct with no slack whatsoever. My 130i has electric power assistance and the steering is much lighter and less feelsome, but there is no slack or play at all.

Please get your steering and suspension checked over by a decent tech - you both have faults that could be very serious.
2008 E81 130i
2010 E82 135i - now sold

Trojantrow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Trojantrow » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

For me. I honestly don't think there is a problem...i think it's due to having loads of hire cars that are brand new. Merc a class and golfs and even new 1 and 3 series.....

While the steering is noticeably lighter in these new cars with less feel than Mine, they are quicker racks and have a sharper turn in than mine.

I'm sure 90000 miles doesn't help the matter. Don't think anything is seriously wrong. But mot is due this week so will soon find out and I'm refreshing suspension soon anyway so will see..

I think general consensus is...as it gets older and more miles it feels worse.

I also think my back end suspension is very worn. Shocks subframe bushes etc..
Sorting this should improve turn in.

Amazing what a tight rear does for the front (no innuendo intended lol)..often forgotten by people who don't know.

Adejul45

Post by Adejul45 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Toed64 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 am
Neither of my 1 series has had this problem. My 135i with hydraulic power assistance was tight and direct with no slack whatsoever. My 130i has electric power assistance and the steering is much lighter and less feelsome, but there is no slack or play at all.

Please get your steering and suspension checked over by a decent tech - you both have faults that could be very serious.
Today i already have an alignment, the tech said that before the alignment the toe is a bit off "out" and he correct it into a bit toe in, which will result on more responsive steering. Thus after the alignment i dont feel anything different :lol:
Already tried to tightening lower and upper joint clamp and no result.
Tomorrow i think i will try to tighten the rack nut about 1/8 turn. Hope it help! :D

Adejul45

Post by Adejul45 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Trojantrow wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 pm
Mines the same....i feel that it has about 1 to 2 cm play before the wheels start to move...then the rack is also quite slow.e.g. I have to turn it quite a lot.

You get used to it. It's not ideal. I've heard m3 lower control arms, new upper control arms and new track rod ends help..

Could fit an m3 rack if it's not an lci.

I've heard that there is some kind of nut/bolt that you can tighten up on the rack that helps.

not tried any of the above yet.

Yeaa exactly what i meann. I can wiggle my steering wheel 1-2 cm and still go straight away.
Unfornately i cant find any m3 parts in my area.
Tomorrow i will try to tighten the rack haha

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”