Baby BMW Forum banner

Things to check when collecting your car

107K views 71 replies 58 participants last post by  M3AN 
#1 ·
Use this thread to talk about things that you should check when collecting your car. (paint condition, options ordered are present etc)

Also, if your dealer throws in some free goodies, use here to tell us all. That way others can let their dealers know :D

#2 ·
What a list!! e46fanatic is certainly the rigtht description of the person that wrote that list! :eek2:

In my view the essential things to check before you leave the dealer are those which relate to damage (scratches, dents and the like) and missing things like tools, because spotting them straight away is the only way to prove that it was the dealer's problem and not something that happened later.

It is also important to check the spec, because if something is missing you're going to want to get it fixed (missing CD player?) or compensation (wrong trim colour?).

In the extreme, you might want to reject the car completely - if the paintwork is seriously flawed or if there's a massive spec error (wrong engine or transmission or colour).

Getting hold of a manual to read up on the operation of the car has a number of benefits, although I've never bothered to do this in advance. It might allow you to spot a problem with the car when you go and pick it up, but if you find something small (intermittent wipers not working?) then what are you going to do - reject the car? :? Or get it fixed and collect it the next day? If you've traded in your old car and sorted out insurance from collection day and the like then this may not be practical and you might just have to bring the car back later.

So my approach is to get there in daylight, inspect the bodywork and trim carefully for damage, jump in and drive off. You'll have loads of time to check out smaller details when you're showing it off to friends and strangers over the first few weeks. :D

If you are really a cautious type then you'd take your new pride and joy to a quiet road to ensure brakes, steering and gears all work before going on a long trip ... particularly if you'd just bought a Mercedes. :D

#3 ·
With that check list your provided a link for Submariner you could be there all day running through it before you drive your 1 out the showroom door :|
:D
One thing that springs to mind is how unaccepting we are of how the car will be when delivered. Wouldn't of had that level of scepticism 15 years ago. But I must admit it is warranted nowadays with all the cutbacks we here of & see in the quality of workmanship or machinemanship. You quite rightly at least want to be sure your pride & joy will make it out the dealer door. :|

cyclesax, what you have written is about the sum of it. :wink:

Also, make sure there is a full tank of fuel. :cool2:

#7 ·
In the event that some of your options weren't fitted be sure that it is noted in your pre delivery checklist! As nice as your dealer may be (mine is great) it doesnt hurt to have something on paper for references sake. Just in case your specific dealer isnt there or god forbid they want to dispute it.
My blue tooth prep wasnt installed (it was always going to be a dealer fit accessory) and i didnt get my 142's (meant to be swapped with another car).

As for freebies/goodies...I think that is best negotiated when purchasing the car, once the deal is done I think they would be more reluctant to give away anymore than they need to as the sale is done.
In terms of NON car accessories.....I got a BMW.WilliamsF1 Team cap :D (I collect/wear hats often so I love it)

I also had a few options negotiated into the purchase of the car at no cost :banana:

#9 ·
Our family sold a car privately last year and we had a similar problem.

The prospective buyer said to us they wouldn't buy the car as the engine number was listed as being covered by finance (car was 11 years old, and we had owned it from new), and the VIN wasn't.

We did a little investigation and it turned out that the dealer who registered the car left one digit off the engine number when they filled out the forms. By a sheer odd chance there was another car in Australia with that EXACT (incorrect) engine number. So a trip to the registration office was required to prove the registration details had been incorrect for 11 years.

#10 ·
From what you have said lumpy, I believe yours is built and at your dealer having accessories fitted :lol2:

I wouldn't have minded that facility a few months ago, but it would have just meant I'd be on the back of my dealer that much more, and ultimately they do what to give me my car as soon as they can, to get my money!!!

#12 ·
when i ordered my alfa 156 4 years ago, it came with full Momo Leather instead of the standard recaro's...as you can imagine getting a £2300 optional extra for free (on top of negotiating an excellent contract rate) i was gutted and i was on the point of rejecting the car.... NOT ....car got stolen 12 months later, gutted! :x

#18 ·
The main thing to check is paint. My Dad bought a BLACK jaguar and was shocked when it arrived without a cover it was riding on a trailer. the chips in the paint were everywhere!!!!! He said no thanks I would like a black one... The delivery guy was like :eek2: :( a week later we got it back with a perfect paint job.

If its not up to scratch tell them!!!!!!

#19 ·
Submariner said:
One good tip:

A couple of days before you pick up your new "Baby" ask the dealer if you can borrow the owners manual or even one from a demonstator. Take it home and check out all the controls switches and functions. It certainly helps IMO.

I had to pick my 320d up from a dealer in the middle of Hamburg - I'd managed to get hold of a manual before I left the UK and I knew how everything (radio aircon satnav etc) worked before I jumped in and set off home. Not a good idea to be distracted by fiddling with things on your first drive :wink: .

As for things to check on pick up day, I also found this a couple of years ago. Its for an E46 and is mainly aimed at the US market, some of it seems a little OTT to me but a lot of it is useful to know.

Submariner
On your above url link...can you please explain the following... "One Month Before Pickup

* Read Bimmer.Org constantly to check if your production week has started yet "

Is there a site online that you can check your production status?

#20 ·
I suggest checking the tyres when you first get it, you might get a nice surprise like i did with better tyres than expected.

#23 ·
I hope I'm contributing to this thread with this post (as I didn't read all individual messages); I'm a detailer by profession and thus I have a paint thickness gauge. If you're lucky enough to have one too, I'd suggest to take it with you on a car inspection. A quick measurement will tell you if the car has been resprayed for any reason. Finding high paint levels indicate a repaint and possibly an accident. Lower readings than average indicate previous polish applications (either manual or by rotary buffer) and if these readings are too low, keep in mind that future correction of scratches etc. might not be possible due to low paint levels.

QNix also has a "accident" tester - it is a device (paint thickness gauge) with only 3 leds (green, orange, red). It works just as a normal PTG but uses industry standard coating thickness as a reference chart. If the light is red, it means the car has been repainted and possibly had an accident. So it does the same as a PTG (without giving you the actual paint thickness values) but is probably a lot cheaper.

More info on

#25 ·
Anytime I pick up a new car, I take pictures of the outside of the car from all angles before I take it off the lot at time of pick up.

I've had a dealer try to get out of fixing a minor body defect once until I showed them the defect when it was still sitting on their lot.

#26 ·
David1series said:
Talking of Stereo I have ordered the car with the HI-FI system which apparently has tweeters which the standard car has not. Can you tell the difference in sound between the standard set-up and the HI-FI? Also I have read that the standard lights are not as good as they should be and the Xenon pack is the one to have, any comments?
Does anyone have any tips to check you have had the speaker upgrade.

There are two upgrades available:

1. Hi-Fi Loudspeaker System (£370)
2. Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP (£710)

I went for no. 2 but I don't expect there will be visually any difference between the two, so how can I check they are the better speakers without ripping apart the car!!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.