Things to check when collecting your car

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

Oz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Oz » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:29 am

wetwipes wrote:Mistake, comfort access also needs new handles. But I now hear that the 1 series does not offer any comfort functions via the key memory, madness!

Ummmmm, seems a bit strange :?
04/06/05 I became a Daddy. See her in the Mini Oz thread :fest: ...... :headbanger:

DunkyDuncs

Postby DunkyDuncs » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:49 am

Mine is a july 2005 build and it has drive away locking as well as selective unlocking.... one push of the unlock button unlocks the drivers door, second push does the rest of them :)
Delivered 6 Sep 2005. Quartz Blue 120i , black leather, 141's, sunroof, xenons, prof radio, prof speaker, lights pack and a few more goodies!

see it here: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=2856

AlexForbes

Postby AlexForbes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:32 am

The main thing to check is paint. My Dad bought a BLACK jaguar and was shocked when it arrived without a cover it was riding on a trailer. the chips in the paint were everywhere!!!!! He said no thanks I would like a black one... The delivery guy was like :shock: :( a week later we got it back with a perfect paint job.

If its not up to scratch tell them!!!!!!

Nikos120i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Nikos120i » Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Submariner wrote:One good tip:

A couple of days before you pick up your new "Baby" ask the dealer if you can borrow the owners manual or even one from a demonstator. Take it home and check out all the controls switches and functions. It certainly helps IMO.

I had to pick my 320d up from a dealer in the middle of Hamburg - I'd managed to get hold of a manual before I left the UK and I knew how everything (radio aircon satnav etc) worked before I jumped in and set off home. Not a good idea to be distracted by fiddling with things on your first drive :wink: .

As for things to check on pick up day, I also found this a couple of years ago. Its for an E46 and is mainly aimed at the US market, some of it seems a little OTT to me but a lot of it is useful to know.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/checklist.html

Submariner

On your above url link...can you please explain the following... "One Month Before Pickup

* Read Bimmer.Org constantly to check if your production week has started yet "

Is there a site online that you can check your production status?
Nikos

scully2763

Postby scully2763 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:02 pm

I suggest checking the tyres when you first get it, you might get a nice surprise like i did with better tyres than expected.
2007 57 3-Door 118d M sport in Le Mans Blue with 18" 208M wheels and Black Boston Leather with Comfort Pack, Media Pack - Business, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Debadged.

AndyM
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby AndyM » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:21 pm

How about things to check when your V5 log book arrives? I suggest checking the number of seats as mine is registered as only having 4 despite me going for the standard 5.
118iSE 3dr in Montego blue with Dynamic pack and Xenons.

preppeller
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby preppeller » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Nikos120i, you are going to be lucky to get a reply from Submariner - the quoted post was from 2004, and his last posted entry was Dec 01, 2004.
BMW 130i M Sport, Sapphire Black with Boston Black Leather, Xenons, HiFi
I'm your friendly forum Moderator

tmclssns

Re: Things to check when collecting your car

Postby tmclssns » Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 pm

I hope I'm contributing to this thread with this post (as I didn't read all individual messages); I'm a detailer by profession and thus I have a paint thickness gauge. If you're lucky enough to have one too, I'd suggest to take it with you on a car inspection. A quick measurement will tell you if the car has been resprayed for any reason. Finding high paint levels indicate a repaint and possibly an accident. Lower readings than average indicate previous polish applications (either manual or by rotary buffer) and if these readings are too low, keep in mind that future correction of scratches etc. might not be possible due to low paint levels.

QNix also has a "accident" tester - it is a device (paint thickness gauge) with only 3 leds (green, orange, red). It works just as a normal PTG but uses industry standard coating thickness as a reference chart. If the light is red, it means the car has been repainted and possibly had an accident. So it does the same as a PTG (without giving you the actual paint thickness values) but is probably a lot cheaper.

More info on http://www.coating-thickness.com/produc ... hcheck.php

Iznik

Postby Iznik » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Tire pressures! I was expecting a firm ride, but not quite as firm as 2.4 bar at the front was giving (compared to the 2.0 bar that is listed on driver's side panel). Rear were 2.5 rather than 2.4.

scottn2retro

Postby scottn2retro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 am

Anytime I pick up a new car, I take pictures of the outside of the car from all angles before I take it off the lot at time of pick up.

I've had a dealer try to get out of fixing a minor body defect once until I showed them the defect when it was still sitting on their lot.
08 135i 6sp - stock class BMW Club racer
http://www.TotalMotorOils.us
Photo gallery

Scampy

Re:

Postby Scampy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm

David1series wrote:Talking of Stereo I have ordered the car with the HI-FI system which apparently has tweeters which the standard car has not. Can you tell the difference in sound between the standard set-up and the HI-FI? Also I have read that the standard lights are not as good as they should be and the Xenon pack is the one to have, any comments?

Does anyone have any tips to check you have had the speaker upgrade.

There are two upgrades available:

1. Hi-Fi Loudspeaker System (£370)
2. Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP (£710)

I went for no. 2 but I don't expect there will be visually any difference between the two, so how can I check they are the better speakers without ripping apart the car!!?
Loving my new 123d M Sport Coupe. Alpine White, 18" Alloys, Black Boston Leather, Heated Seats, Lumbar, Cruise, Sunroof, Prof Radio & Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP, USB, Bluetooth, Extended Storage, Rain Sensor. Del Jan '09.

Check out my band @ www.otto-music.com

anthonyd

Postby anthonyd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 am

You'll need to fire up the stereo and have a play with the audio settings. If there are logic 7 or effect settings, you have the Hi-Fi Pro. There is no easy visual check you can perform by looking at the speakers/grills.
BMW 135i
Opts: Auto, Le Mans Blue, sunroof, Business Nav, Hi-Fi, ski-bag, window tint, & CF mirror caps

Scampy

Postby Scampy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 am

Ah of course! That makes sense. Thanks.

In that case I suppose my only worry is there is a small chance the pro-logic hardware installed with the Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system (not the Hi-Fi Pro speakers) - but I would hope that this is not possible..
Loving my new 123d M Sport Coupe. Alpine White, 18" Alloys, Black Boston Leather, Heated Seats, Lumbar, Cruise, Sunroof, Prof Radio & Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP, USB, Bluetooth, Extended Storage, Rain Sensor. Del Jan '09.

Check out my band @ www.otto-music.com

deeppurple57

Postby deeppurple57 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 pm

It might be worth checking the Number plate against the registation document! I collected my 120D (ex lease hire) from my local stealer and drove round for 4 weeks with the wrong registration number. It was only when I tried to book it in to have a squelling air movement fan sorted out and they didn't recognise my plate number that they realised that they had put the wrong number on my new plates!!!!! If I had realised their mistake earlier I would have gone throgh some spped cameras at an excesive speed lol :lol:

rob
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby rob » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 pm

When I collected my A3 from an Audi main dealer 4 years ago it was actually missing the centre caps from the alloys as well as the centre brake light. There was just a hole above the rear window with a wire poking out of it!! They swapped the alloys for a different set, but it took them nearly an hour and a half to source and fit the missing brake light. (Incidentally, the same light 'fell out' a few weeks later).

When my g/f picked up her new A4, they'd fitted completely the wrong factory satnav and had left out the CD changer. Took them nearly three months to produce the correct car, during which time the garage lost the franchise.

Never assume dealers know what they're doing. At least not Audi dealers :wink:
(It's here...)

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”