Things to check when collecting your car

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

hassg5

Re: Things to check when collecting your car

Post by hassg5 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Im getting charged £30 for fuel on my invoice... when I pick the car up should I expect this to be a full tank?? Never bought a car new, so I dont know what should be the norm, a full tank or just half.

Thanks!

Hass
118d Sport (09) | 5 door | Alpine White | Pearlpoint/Leather Anthracite

barto
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by barto » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:28 am

hassg5 wrote:Im getting charged £30 for fuel on my invoice... when I pick the car up should I expect this to be a full tank?? Never bought a car new, so I dont know what should be the norm, a full tank or just half.

Thanks!

Hass
I got 3/4 tank free and was told to give the salesman a phone when it's near empty :wink:
59 plate 118d sport, 3 door, Alpine White, Tweeters, Stubby aerial, Centre Armrest

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm

just got my 123d coupe :-)

as its xmas, i said to the sales guy what can you give me..

he gave me a key ring..

i asked him.. what can you give me for the missus..

he gave me an umbrella...

i said.. i also have a son...

he gave me a baseball cap..

i wish i mentioned the rest of my famiy.. now :lol: :lol:

so there you go!

Pete R
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Pete R » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am

...swirl marks.

I figured this was inevitable and am in a position to do something about it myself ~ so was not overly concerned when I very carefully inspected my new car at the dealer's yesterday and found swirl marks. Essentially, the lighting conditions didn't 'advertise' the marks and a cursory glance at the paint wouldn't have revealed anything. Later in the day, when the car was parked up at home, the sun came out and the swirls were really clear.

I'll be attacking my car with a dual action polisher later today ~ it'll be fine be tea time ~ and (sadly) I'll get a real kick from sorting it and will enjoy the day. But, most people don't have a polisher and/or are just not prepared to accept a less than perfect car ~ so, swirls are something to look out for...

Formerly 120d MSport Coupe ~ fell out with it and got an Astra GTC

Pete R
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Pete R » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm

...that your speakers all work properly.

I picked my 120d up 3 months ago. It's been back I think 3 times now for the speakers to be sorted ~ and they still aren't :banghead: . I have distortion from the front passenger side and rear driver's side.

Pete R
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Pete R » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 pm

...that your speakers all work properly.I picked my 120d up 3 months ago. It's been back I think 3 times now for the speakers to be sorted ~ and they still aren't. I have distortion from the front passenger side and rear driver's side.
It's been in to the dealers for the 4th time today ~ and still isn't sorted. This is, I'm informed, a software issue and so will not be unique to my car.

BigChris

Post by BigChris » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 am

A great deal of useful information!

I'm looking to pick-up a used '08 120d with 70k on Tuesday, direct from a lease car company in Southampton. I've already identified some dings and scratches and got the price down by £250. However I had to ask when the clutch was changed as all the gears felt a tad difficult to move into (compared to the other two I test-drove) - they say it's never been done. Otherwise it's in mint condition and pulls like a train!

What service items should they have completed by now?
Metallic Black 2008 120d ES

Noob BMW 1 Series owner since 5th July 2011... and I've been loving it until I came across this:
http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39358

Emily
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Emily » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and to BMW's so I am hoping you can help me out. I collect my 2008 118d M Sport on Saturday and have bought the car privately. Everything seems to be in good check, the car is low mileage but the one thing that concerns me is the car never had any warranty work carried out. Is there anything which has particularly been a weak point on the 1 Series?

I may be concerned over nothing, my last two cars were BMW Mini's and they were in and out the garage all the time having warranty work!

Any tips would be appreciated, don't fancy being lumbered with a lemon!
2008 118d M Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Black Boston Leather | BMW Professional Radio | Hi-Fi | USB Interface | Bluetooth Phone Prep | BMWP Grilles

mrash
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by mrash » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Emily wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and to BMW's so I am hoping you can help me out. I collect my 2008 118d M Sport on Saturday and have bought the car privately. Everything seems to be in good check, the car is low mileage but the one thing that concerns me is the car never had any warranty work carried out. Is there anything which has particularly been a weak point on the 1 Series?

I may be concerned over nothing, my last two cars were BMW Mini's and they were in and out the garage all the time having warranty work!

You've probably got a good one then :) you could always double check by taking te key to the dealer, and they can check any previous BMW work.
I never wanted to believe that my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.

stevosteebs

Post by stevosteebs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 am

thanks guys! i will be def be looking out for theses things come october! thanks again!

rob123d
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rob123d » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:06 pm

My AUC 123d was missing one of the leaf grills.

Bit of an unusual one im guessing but as autumn is here and the leaves are falling might be worth a check.
Now: Gen 1 Cayman S
Gone: 135I DCT M Sport Coupe. AW, Red leather, 19" CSL reps, lots of options and a few mods.
Gone: LMB 123D Coupe

Dave S
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave S » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am

I managed to get a nice free M Sport coat with my purchase of a 118d BMW :)
1. Ford Anglia
2. Ford Capri
3. Rover SD1
4. Renault 9
5. Citroen 2CV
6. SAAB 900
7. BMW 320i
8. Toyota Supra MKIV
9. Volvo 854 T5
10. Citroen Xsara
11. LDV Pilot
12. Audi 100
13. Audi A6
14. Audi A4
15. Mazda 818
16. MG Maestro
17. Ford Sierra 2.6

ciaphus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ciaphus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Emily wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and to BMW's so I am hoping you can help me out. I collect my 2008 118d M Sport on Saturday and have bought the car privately. Everything seems to be in good check, the car is low mileage but the one thing that concerns me is the car never had any warranty work carried out. Is there anything which has particularly been a weak point on the 1 Series?

Hello Em,
just for peace of mind give your local dealer a call to check there are no outstanding recalls, then enjoy!

andyoxon

Post by andyoxon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm

hi I have been looking for e46fanatic list but can't find it wasn't it the first post has it vanished? a link would be great hope you can help

andyoxon

Post by andyoxon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Think i have sussed it.....it's a download although my MAC will not open it properly

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”