E87 1 Series Fuel Fill Pot Replacment

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87, E88.
Manufactured from 2004 to 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

mib247742

Post by mib247742 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi,
Someone has tried to pull my fuel filler cap, and has damaged the mechanism that keep it shut. It still locks with central locking but comes open when not locked.

I need a new filler pot, ie. the plastic part around the filler neck.

Was wondering does anyone know/experienced replacing one? I imagine it would be either removing boot lining or wheel arch lining...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Leightree
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Leightree » Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 am

I had exactly the same thing happen to me... Someone on here did change theirs and did a write up but I can't find it!
Have a search you may stumble across it.
It's a 45minute job IIRC

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E87 1 Series Fuel Fill Pot Replacment

Post by SilverSun » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 am

I have just ordered a new pot too.
swb120d wrote:Hi Chris
I had this problem, the hinge on the flap broke on mine making it waggle about and therefore miss the locking pin which left it open.
I had to get it replaced. That whole bit comes as 1 part - I got it for £18.55 though a mate in the trade. (the coloured flap comes off your old one and fits onto the new one)
I got a mate to fit it - he drilled out the plastic clips and pulled it out. Had to feed the wiring for the lock through from the back as we dropped it down the wing. That involved taking the lining out of the boot on that side. I was surprised that it was easy if a bit fiddly to do if you are someone who knows what they are doing! I don't and just watched and held the screws!
Took about 30 minutes. That was on a 5 door
Hope that helps
si

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I had a stab at replacing mine today, completely lost at how it's meant to be done.

Here's the part:

I've had the entire rear interior (false floor, speaker tray bit, passenger bolster) removed. And I still can't see how it can be done.

Anyone who's done this have any advice? Really stuck :(

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I would have started by removing the wheel and arch liner?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Aim I tackling this from the wrong direction.

Should I be removing the wheel arch liner as per this http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/80/17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 pm

marco_polo wrote:I would have started by removing the wheel and arch liner?
You beat me to it.

Well that's that confirmed then, Just put everything back together. I'll start again tomorrow evening. :)

mr mike
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mr mike » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 pm

My filler cap does this too, easy solution is to wrap insultating tape around the catch part (the sticky out bit) on the door then when you shut it, it becomes so tight it jams shut as such. Had the car since 29th Dec and im still on the first bit of tape, did think i would be refrshing it ever other week but so far so good. Only requires about an inch of tape so a very easy solution for all
F21 (3dr) M140i - Manual - Sapphire Black

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm hoping it's going to be a similar exercise to this.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/05/96/24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ahdinko
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ahdinko » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 am

I had to do mine because the same thing happened. I took off the arch liner, disconnected the pipe from the inside, but I couldn't pull the filler pot out for love nor money. I ended up having to drill the pot around the edges where the 6 or 8 clips that hold it against the body are, until it was mangled enough to come out. New one went in easy and everything is good as new now.
My car thread: http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
57 118d - Comfort pack, Bluefin, DEPO's, Stainless Quad exit Cat-back, Rizo Glory wheels, FK AK Coilovers, Sony rear speakers, amp & subwoofer.
In the works - Hi-fi tweeters

yngndrw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by yngndrw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:27 pm

When I get back I'll look in my Haynes manual and see if it explains the removal process.

Edit: I had a look but couldn't find a section on the fuel fill pot - Only the servomotor that operates the lock on it.
M135i F21 In Estoril Blue With Sports Automatic Gearbox, Driver Comfort Package, Pro-Media Package, Sun Protection Package, Folding Mirrors, Seat Heating And Internet

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 pm

I never want to do that ever again.

elbertc

Post by elbertc » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

My 120d's fuel door has been flapping around lately. For the interim, I placed some gunk in the catch to keep it closed, but I'd like to replace the whole plastic assembly. Does anyone have the part number? It's for a MY07 5-door 120d.

Thanks in advance.

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Mine was 7069449 from this diagram.

http://www.bmminiparts.com/DiagramView. ... MOSP=48923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mib247742

Post by mib247742 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help, so I finally got the replacement filler pot from my local BMW Dealer £21.50 all in, took 3 days to get ordered in.
Took me about an hour from start to finish, heres what I did...

- Jacked the car up, removed drivers rear wheel, took out wheel arch liner.
- Unclipped the filler cap panel (Body colored one) and took out the filler cap.
- On the left where the central locking lock comes out of, turn the cover around it and it will pop off.
- Cut the rubber seal from around filler neck (I ruined the old part while taking it out)
- Then cut around the clips using a Stanley knife, just look at your replacement for where they are.(2 Top, 2 Bottom) I done the bottom first, BE REALLY CAREFUL AROUND THE EDGE!!!! (I didnt damage mine, but it would have been easy to scrape paint!)

- Then you kind of have to break it out. If you can cut the entire bottom of the pot it is easier.
- Take it out.
- Get new part, line up central locking, a bit tedious but not the worst. You put the cover back on it once its pushed back in.
- Then push the rubber seal over the filler neck again.
- Line up central locking, BEFORE YOU PUSH NEW POT IN.
- Thats it really, then reassemble the dismantled parts. You do need to get your hand in behind through the arch for some parts, but i reckon you could get away with out it to be fair.

All in all it was ok, nothing that you cant do yourself, Im sure my way is not the offical BMW way, but I got it done quick, properly and cheaply!

Thanks for all your help guys! :D

Return to “E81, E82, E87, E88 (2004-2011)”