Baby BMW Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your 1 Series Today?

809K views 10K replies 890 participants last post by  noodels 
#1 ·
Haven't seen a thread like this on here, So the idea is to post up what you did to your 1 Series. Types of things to post could be cleaning, maintaining, modifying, piloting it around a track, etc. Post pics if you can. This thread could inspire others to do something similar. I'll start...

Well as the weather was so bad I decided to paint the discs and calipers front and rear in silver and black to prevent the dreaded orange rust from showing through the wheels. And while was at it i fitted the Mud guards, strangely I didn't need to modify the mud guards for the M-Sport (I though it was essential).

(edited by mods as OP's photobucket pics are dead and the thread deserves a better main image!)

See less See more
#6,527 ·
Washed clayed and polished. ran outta time to get the glaze/wax on it though :(

removed and re-stuck the spoiler, the oem sticky pads had came loose on the edge, replaced with some 3M VHB tape, currently on there with duct tape holding the edges on to make sure the 3M goes off properly!

fitted some LED Angel Eye's and transferred the white Interior LED's from the E91

and STILL no pictures.. Jeez! will try and get some this week!

#6,528 ·
Replaced the rear brake calipers, disks and pads yesterday.

My lil' 116i is now 12 years old and the disks and calipers are original. Disks were getting close to the min thickness and I figured it would be good PM to do the calipers while everything was off and car was in the air.

Everything went well until it came time to remove the disks. They were stuck on solid. Started with the rubber mallet then upgraded to the mini sledge but no joy. Regrouped and went to youtube and found the bolt and nut through the caliper hanger bolt hole solution. This solution worked well and the disks popped off.

Took my amateur hands just over 6hrs start to finish. 2 of those hours was spent screwing around getting the disks off.

Attachments

#6,529 ·
116i_diy said:
Replaced the rear brake calipers, disks and pads yesterday.

My lil' 116i is now 12 years old and the disks and calipers are original. Disks were getting close to the min thickness and I figured it would be good PM to do the calipers while everything was off and car was in the air.

Everything went well until it came time to remove the disks. They were stuck on solid. Started with the rubber mallet then upgraded to the mini sledge but no joy. Regrouped and went to youtube and found the bolt and nut through the caliper hanger bolt hole solution. This solution worked well and the disks popped off.

Took my amateur hands just over 6hrs start to finish. 2 of those hours was spent screwing around getting the disks off.
A job well done! :)

It's so much more satifying (and cheaper) to DIY.

#6,532 ·
CraigG said:
Fitted Performance Short Shift kit and handbrake:

Before:

After:
Nice. Where did you get the short shift kit from? I already have BMW performance handbrake and gaiter. but looking to get the gear knob and gaiter too.

#6,534 ·
Replaced a rear wheel bearing this weekend as it sounded like I had a hive of bees back there above 30mph.
Certainly not a straight forward job but I researched it and got suitably tooled up!

Surprisingly the driveshaft came out really easily with a few medium whacks with the hammer. When it was flush with the hub I got the new 15T hydraulic puller on it just to see how my new tool worked! (I could have just continued knocking it through with a deep socket).

Pushed the hub off.

Pulled the race off. I did have to resort to the hydraulic puller for this as it was too difficult to turn the screw and stop the assembly twisting on the floor.

Then extracted the bearing. This took a phenomenal amount of force to get out. I first tried with my 300mm long adjustable spanner but wasn't going anywhere, so got a smaller adjustable as it slotted up the jack handle and made a massive lever!
It was still quite hard work even with this massive leverage.

Pressed in the bearing, the hub, driveshaft and then torqued it up with my impact gun.

Problem solved [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6,538 ·
bjt said:
fmn716 said:
I am not doing it but I am getting an manderal bend system for my e87 1uz which is 8-2-xpipe-1 with 3 high flow boxes
1uz in an e87? This I have to see, pics please :D
Your wish is my command lol

Done a few things need to update my build thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6,541 ·
#6,543 ·
CraigG said:
Got it from Harry Fairbairn BMW, they have a forum over at bmwforums.info

Same kind of deal as with cotswold on here, but they were cheaper for me
Do you have the part number for the kit? Thanks

#6,545 ·
#6,548 ·
Coolant drained out by my local BMW indy and new G48 installed

I saw the old coolant that came out - it didn't look too bad still a good blue colour and certainly still capable of doing its job but I would have thought it was original to the car as I have no reason to believe it has been changed - goes to show G48 is probably pretty good stuff