Baby BMW Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your 1 Series Today?

809K views 10K replies 890 participants last post by  noodels 
#1 ·
Haven't seen a thread like this on here, So the idea is to post up what you did to your 1 Series. Types of things to post could be cleaning, maintaining, modifying, piloting it around a track, etc. Post pics if you can. This thread could inspire others to do something similar. I'll start...

Well as the weather was so bad I decided to paint the discs and calipers front and rear in silver and black to prevent the dreaded orange rust from showing through the wheels. And while was at it i fitted the Mud guards, strangely I didn't need to modify the mud guards for the M-Sport (I though it was essential).

(edited by mods as OP's photobucket pics are dead and the thread deserves a better main image!)

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you have to modify the rear mudguards a little? Fronts will fit straight on.

All I did to mine today was use her in a 'enthusiastic/spirited' fashion. :D

It's been a busy week though, injector refurb, swirlflap-ectomy, new glow plugs, inlet manifold cleanout, new PCV Breather and new air filter.

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
Did you have to modify the rear mudguards a little? Fronts will fit straight on.

All I did to mine today was use her in a 'enthusiastic/spirited' fashion. :D

It's been a busy week though, injector refurb, swirlflap-ectomy, new glow plugs, inlet manifold cleanout, new PCV Breather and new air filter.
Ahh... that explains it, i thought both sets needed modding.

Only fitted the front to protect the sill and door.

#6 ·
Just wondered why have you an axle stand under the hub edge?

Also, what paints did you use for the caliper and disc? It looks like you've done a great job. Wish I had a usable garage for this sort of thing...

Regarding your mudflaps, the only modification you need to perform on the front is shaving off a tiny plastic tab. The plastic tab fits between the plastic sill trim and the bodywork on the other trim levels, but it's in the wrong place on the M Sport trim. You may not have noticed it, it is very small and takes just a second to lop it off! It is the rear flaps that require major surgery though...

Edit: just seen your second picture and the plastic tab is in the correct place! I had to shave mine off to fit, weird huh?

#7 ·
ftb101 said:
Just wondered why have you an axle stand under the hub edge?

Also, what paints did you use for the caliper and disc? It looks like you've done a great job. Wish I had a usable garage for this sort of thing...

Regarding your mudflaps, the only modification you need to perform on the front is shaving off a tiny plastic tab. The plastic tab fits between the plastic sill trim and the bodywork on the other trim levels, but it's in the wrong place on the M Sport trim. You may not have noticed it, it is very small and takes just a second to lop it off! It is the rear flaps that require major surgery though...

Edit: just seen your second picture and the plastic tab is in the correct place! I had to shave mine off to fit, weird huh?
I carried out the camber pin mod at the same time and was just seeing if I could lower the car a fraction and push the strut inboard at the same time to save leverage on the paint at the top, to do this I thought I needed to take some load at the outer edge of the geometry (worked on other cars). It didn't work as i wanted it to, so I jacked it back up 10mm and left it there as i forgot, and used 3 layers of card and a wrench on the top of the strut.

My pin was a soft dome and not very pronounced, so i just drilled it after masting off the strut brace and area around the pin (in case i slipped).

I used one of the spare mud guard speed fit plugs to drop into the hole to make it look a little more factory fit.

The paint was black and silver Hammerite 250ml tins and throw away small brushes

#9 ·
I live on an raf base that only flies during the week, I therefore had the worlds best snow playground to test my drifting and snow driving techniques on.

Ace day. Having just recently gone from front to rear wheel drive I have through had to learn to depress the clutch when using the handbrake.

#10 ·
Walked past it in the driveway this morning on my way in from a night out last night :lol2:

It's clean though!

And il be out in it tomorrow night :D

#11 ·
Hay muz that must have been sum swally next you will be telling us your driveway was longer on the way home :lol2:

#15 ·
mareeno said:
Hay muz that must have been sum swally next you will be telling us your driveway was longer on the way home :lol2:
Not anymore haha! :lol2:

And I was out with some friends in Glasgow, went to a jazz bar then clubbing and it was a sh1thot night out :D

Much needed lol, having a few tinnies tonight to take the hangover away ;)

#18 ·
I want mud guards for bloo!!!! Rears need slight modification but easy to do!!!

As for the topic title. I did nothing with her today, bloo stayed home with Martin. I took pip-pip out and gave him a valet, wheels sealed, calipers cleaned and machine polished at work. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I took Leoni (my car) out on a nice and twisty mountain bend and nearly ploughed into the side of a ute. Just rounded a blind bend just when car on opposite side decided to T-turn onto some road/driveway crossing my lane just as I finished the corner. Slammed on the brakes and honked to warn the motorcyclist who was behind me. Screeched to a complete stop while narrowly missing the ute. Eek nearly **** ma pants and probably the rider too who thankfully didn't go splat into my rear (he wisely wasn't tailgating). Bless you German brakes! It was just the worst timing as the ute couldn't have known I was coming... I was carrying four passengers and definitely not cornering like a maniac.

Honestly I don't care how much German cars may cost to run and their supposed weaknesses compared to cars built elsewhere but seriously their no compromise approach on the important bits gives you the best chance if something goes wrong. I won't drive anything else.

Road was fun though :D

#23 ·
Clay barred the black exhaust trim this morning (7am) as it was a little pitted and bugging me, came up like glass and coated in some EGP afterwards to try and help.

The joys of a garage, none of my neighbours could see the mentalist in the street cleaning his exhaust on a Sunday morning at 7am :wink: